Daylight flight between LHR and LAX

Old January 18th, 2008, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air, alt.travel.uk.air, uk.transport.air
ariopp

Default Daylight flight between LHR and LAX

Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

Unusual question but I think quite interesting....

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Gerald Oliver Swift

"ariopp" wrote in message
Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

You can depart LHR on Friday anytime between 06.00 and 15.30 and still
arrive in LAX before Saturday.

WTF has darkness got to do with it? The Sabbath begins at 00.01am on
Saturday.

Gerry

Old January 18th, 2008, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 20:49:07 on Fri, 18
Jan 2008, Gerald Oliver Swift remarked:
WTF has darkness got to do with it? The Sabbath begins at 00.01am on
Saturday.

No, apparently it does begin at sunset on Friday.
--
Roland Perry
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Keith Willshaw[_2_]

"ariopp" wrote in message
Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

Not in June. In the northern latitudes the sun doesnt set
until after 10 PM local time and youll be there around noon
local time

Keith

Old January 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
dgs[_5_]

Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:

"ariopp" wrote in message

Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

[...] my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

You can depart LHR on Friday anytime between 06.00 and 15.30 and still
arrive in LAX before Saturday.

That is not what the OP asked. Did you actually bother to read the
post?

WTF has darkness got to do with it? The Sabbath begins at 00.01am on
Saturday.

Maybe if you'd bothered to read the OP's post, you would have figured
that, in fact, this is not when the Jewish Sabbath starts.
--
dgs
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
dgs[_5_]

ariopp wrote:

Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

If you're really concerned about international travel on a Friday,
switch your flight to Thursday, or wait until Sunday. Problem solved.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

I took a BA flight from LHR to SEA on December 30th. It departed in
the early afternoon, and it still didn't encounter much in the way of
darkness. Your flight doesn't go quite that far north, and a little
on-line research would have shown that:
http://gc.kls2.com/ is a Great Circle Mapper. You will note that the
LHR-LAX route goes no farther north than southern tip of Greenland. If
anything, the 11:30am flight is most likely to be in continuous day-
light, but I doubt if there's that much difference.
--
dgs
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
LVTravel[_2_]

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"ariopp" wrote in message
Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

Not in June. In the northern latitudes the sun doesnt set
until after 10 PM local time and youll be there around noon
local time

Keith

HE'S NOT LEAVING IN JUNE, he is leaving February 8th.

Old January 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
John Doe[_2_]

ariopp wrote:

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

Such flights might pass just south of Iqaluit (YFB). At this time of
year, sunset is at 14:35 local time, 19:35 GMT. (but some times, those
flight pass much to the south, depending on winds).

LHR-LAX is 4741nm. At 11 hours, this averages 431 knots (nm/h)

LHR-YFB is 2195nm. At 431 knots, it would take just over 5 hours to get
there.

LHR-YQR (Regina) is 3591 nm. 8 hours 20 minutes to get there. Sunset at
Regina is at 17:25 local, 23:25 GMT.

If you depart at 11:30, you would be flying over near YFB at about 16:30
GMT. Well before sunset. You'll be flying over Regina at about 20:00
GMT, still quite ahead of sunset.
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:34:53 -0800 (PST), ariopp
wrote:

Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

Unusual question but I think quite interesting....

Thanks in advance for all the help!

They will be flying in daylight all the time.
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
LVTravel[_2_]

"ariopp" wrote in message
Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

Unusual question but I think quite interesting....

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Leaving at 10:05 AM from LHR, the northern most point for your trip would be
near Greenland's southern tip after about 1600 nautical miles (nm) from LHR
with an additional approx. 3000 nm to go. You would reach that point
approximately 4 hours after taking off from LHR with a 3 hour time zone
difference for an approximate local time of 11 to 11:30 AM. There would
still be plenty of daylight at that latitude of 60 degrees north. The Artic
circle is 66 degrees north which is north of this location and it would not
be a period of 24 hours of darkness at that latitude at this time of year.
The winter solstice having passed, the days will be getting longer at that
point in time.

Information for transit over Greenland

The following information is provided for Greenland (longitude W40.0,
latitude N60.0):
Friday
8 February 2008 Universal Time - 3h

SUN
Begin civil twilight 06:52
Sunrise 07:38
Sun transit 11:54
Sunset 16:11
End civil twilight 16:57

Information for arrival in California on

Friday
8 February 2008 Pacific Standard Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:19 a.m.
Sunrise 6:45 a.m.
Sun transit 12:08 p.m.
Sunset 5:30 p.m.
End civil twilight 5:56 p.m.

The issue would appear to be that if the plane was delayed for many hours
you could be travelling at night.

Hope this helps ease your travel and religious worrys.