Smoke Hood taken

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:42 AM
Alexander

Default Smoke Hood taken

I just had an Evac-U-8 smoke hood, which I estimate had passed more than 100
carry on baggage screenings, confiscated at FCO Airport when I was boarding
an AF flight from Rome to Paris. I don't know if it was Air France security
or airport security that refused to allow me to take it on the plane. (I had
boarded other Air France flights in the past with this particular item.) As
I recall, this thing was not inexpensive.

I do note that some airlines do provide these for their crew members. Last
spring on a flight on an Alitalia 747, I noted a bin that was said to
contain 18 smoke hoods.

So I am wondering, is it really worthwhile to carry smoke hoods? Is there
any documented case of a passenger surviving a crash by using a smoke hood?
My guess is that it is a very small chance that one of these might save
someone's life.

I am interested in your opinions.

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:04 AM
mrtravel

Alexander wrote:

I just had an Evac-U-8 smoke hood, which I estimate had passed more than 100
carry on baggage screenings, confiscated at FCO Airport when I was boarding
an AF flight from Rome to Paris. I don't know if it was Air France security
or airport security that refused to allow me to take it on the plane. (I had
boarded other Air France flights in the past with this particular item.) As
I recall, this thing was not inexpensive.

Did they say why?

I do note that some airlines do provide these for their crew members. Last
spring on a flight on an Alitalia 747, I noted a bin that was said to
contain 18 smoke hoods.

So I am wondering, is it really worthwhile to carry smoke hoods? Is there
any documented case of a passenger surviving a crash by using a smoke hood?
My guess is that it is a very small chance that one of these might save
someone's life.

There is a small chance of being in a plane crash.
There are also fires not caused by crashes.
I think you stand a better chance of being killed by lightening than to
have your life saved on a plane with a smoke hood.

Old October 31st, 2003, 02:28 AM
Alan Erskine

"mrtravel" wrote in message

There is a small chance of being in a plane crash.
There are also fires not caused by crashes.
I think you stand a better chance of being killed by lightening than to
have your life saved on a plane with a smoke hood.

Nevertheless, it sounds odd that they'd confiscate a smoke hood.

--
Alan Erskine
alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Due to Optusnet's failure to deal with
the current virus SPAM attack, respond
to alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Old October 31st, 2003, 05:11 AM
James Anatidae

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
u...
"mrtravel" wrote in message

There is a small chance of being in a plane crash.
There are also fires not caused by crashes.
I think you stand a better chance of being killed by lightening than to
have your life saved on a plane with a smoke hood.

Nevertheless, it sounds odd that they'd confiscate a smoke hood.

I'd bet that some overeager security person thought it might be used as a
mask.

--
http://anatidae.homestead.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:James_Anatidae

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:32 PM
The Bill Mattocks

mrtravel wrote in message .. .
There is a small chance of being in a plane crash.

True.

There are also fires not caused by crashes.

True.

I think you stand a better chance of being killed by lightening than to
have your life saved on a plane with a smoke hood.

I am sure that you're right. But they give them to crew members,
don't they? So why is that? Perhaps it is only to make them feel
better, and they serve no purpose other than that. That's still a
valid purpose, IMHO.

Also, people who travel by air also tend to stay in hotels. And
hotels catch fire from time to time. Also rare, thankfully. But when
there is a fire, far more people die of smoke inhalation than are
burnt to death.

And there are other things as well - one of my sisters lives in Minot,
ND, and a train derailed there, dumping ammonia. Strong enough to
sear the lungs if you breathed too much of it. Smoke hood might well
have helped there - depending on brand.

Smoke hoods are a precautionary item that are similar in nature to
having a spare tire, car jack, auto club memberships, and insurance.
Probably won't need them, hope never to use them, but when you need
them, you need them NOW.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:19 PM
me

"James Anatidae" wrote in message ...
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
u...

[snip]
Nevertheless, it sounds odd that they'd confiscate a smoke hood.

I'd bet that some overeager security person thought...

See, right there I've got a problem with your assumption.
Old October 31st, 2003, 03:58 PM
Traveller

"Alexander" wrote in message
y.com...
I just had an Evac-U-8 smoke hood, which I estimate had passed more than

100
carry on baggage screenings, confiscated at FCO Airport when I was

boarding
an AF flight from Rome to Paris. I don't know if it was Air France

security
or airport security that refused to allow me to take it on the plane. (I

had
boarded other Air France flights in the past with this particular item.)

As
I recall, this thing was not inexpensive.

They're not cheap at something over $50. Why did you allow the hood to be
taken?

Old October 31st, 2003, 06:24 PM
me

(The Bill Mattocks) wrote in message . com...
mrtravel wrote in message .. .
There is a small chance of being in a plane crash.

True.

There are also fires not caused by crashes.

True.

I think you stand a better chance of being killed by lightening than to
have your life saved on a plane with a smoke hood.

I am sure that you're right. But they give them to crew members,
don't they? So why is that? Perhaps it is only to make them feel
better, and they serve no purpose other than that. That's still a
valid purpose, IMHO.

Strictly speaking, probably an FAA reg. But more to the point,
although you do fly alot, you're not anywhere near these folks
exposure. Additionally, they are expected to be some of the last
folks off the aircraft, not the first. Probability is associated
with the duration of exposure. Their probability of needing one
vastly exceeds yours.

travel by air also tend to stay in hotels. And
hotels catch fire from time to time. Also rare, thankfully. But when
there is a fire, far more people die of smoke inhalation than are
burnt to death.

Pretty much true of all fires.

And there are other things as well - one of my sisters lives in Minot,
ND, and a train derailed there, dumping ammonia. Strong enough to
sear the lungs if you breathed too much of it. Smoke hood might well
have helped there - depending on brand.

Probably not long enough to do her much good.

Smoke hoods are a precautionary item that are similar in nature to
having a spare tire, car jack, auto club memberships, and insurance.
Probably won't need them, hope never to use them, but when you need
them, you need them NOW.

Yes, and regular analysis indicates that some folks are over insured,
or paying more than the risk dictates.

However, if you place that hood by your own bedside at home, you've
probably just put it in the most useful place it can be. And once
you have it there, well, ya might as well tote it along when ya travel.
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:54 PM
James Anatidae

"me" wrote in message
om...
"James Anatidae" wrote in message

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
u...

[snip]
Nevertheless, it sounds odd that they'd confiscate a smoke hood.

I'd bet that some overeager security person thought...

See, right there I've got a problem with your assumption.

All right then...

I'd bet that some idiotic security person thought it might be used as a
mask.

Old October 31st, 2003, 08:45 PM
Jenn

In article ,
(me) wrote:

(The Bill Mattocks) wrote in message
. com...
mrtravel wrote in message
.. .
[...]

like the staff waits around in a burning plane to assist the elderly and
infirm LOL

in a crash people book it -- if you aren't out in seconds you are toast
in those circumstances a smoke hood would save many lives -- as they
waited to get to the exit

on the other hand, staff odds of being in the situation are much higher
of course because they fly every day

and most of the time, you are toast anyway -- so it would rarely matter

BUT what is with confiscating it -- it can't possible be a hazard to
anyone else