Why should I use a travel agent?

Old March 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick Valentini

Default Why should I use a travel agent?

I am in the process of booking my first cruise.

I went to a travel agent and asked why I should use an agent and the
response I received was,
you can book the cruise on your own if you want.

That was not the answer I was looking for and I now have apprehension
over using this agent.

So I am asking this group, why is using a travel agent to my benefit and
how do I find a good one?

Rick

Old March 28th, 2009, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_4_]

Rick Valentini wrote:
I am in the process of booking my first cruise.

I went to a travel agent and asked why I should use an agent and the
response I received was,
you can book the cruise on your own if you want.

That was not the answer I was looking for and I now have apprehension
over using this agent.

So I am asking this group, why is using a travel agent to my benefit and
how do I find a good one?

Rick

Whoa, I would like to know the name of that agency! Stay far away!!

First, a good agent knows thing about travel that you probably don't.
Like all the paperwork necessary, possibly what rooms to stay away from,
when to book and when not.

The can help you choose the best times to go the best places.

They also can help you if something goes wrong during the cruise,
otherwise you're on your own.

There are no advantages to booking yourself as far as cost is concerned,
if you do research ahead of time. A GOOD agent will get you the best
price, which in my experience has been a better price than I could find
myself.

I use all seasons travel in Jacksonville Fl. They specialize in all
cruises, and are very knowledgeable of Disney cruises.

Ask for Keith or Chuck, and tell em Clay sent ya.

Clay
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Rick Valentini" wrote in message
I am in the process of booking my first cruise.

I went to a travel agent and asked why I should use an agent and the
response I received was,
you can book the cruise on your own if you want.

That was not the answer I was looking for and I now have apprehension
over using this agent.

So I am asking this group, why is using a travel agent to my benefit and
how do I find a good one?

Rick

Probably the most important reason to use an experienced cruise TA is
because of their knowledge in putting you on the right cruise line and the
right ship. And also the right itinerary.

Cruise lines are very different. Just like SUV's, 4 door sedans, mini vans
and sports cars are very different.

You need to match a cruise line to your particular style.

How would you know whether to look at the likes of Celebrity, or Royal
Caribbean, or Princess, or Carnival or Oceania? Which would fit you the
best? A good cruise TA would know. Put a person on the right ship and they
have a wonderful vacation. Put them on the wrong ship and they might never
go again.

Second to that is price... but that includes a lot of aspects. There is the
original price, but that's just a starting point because often cruise fares
will change (either decline or go up) over time. I have 2 travel agents
that I use. They have software that tracks price reductions. So if you
lock in, and prices go up, you've locked. But if prices go down, a good TA
will let you know when that happens and get you the price reduction. And
there are time when upgrades might become available. A good TA has more
"leverage" than a single person... so sometimes they can get you upgrades
you can't get on your own. And if you book yourself, what are the chances
that the cruise line calls you and says, "by the way, we've had a price
drop"...

And then there is the date of final payment. Once you make final payment,
frequently many cruise lines won't adjust price, even if there is a last
minute price drop to fill the ship. While you may not get any money back,
your TA might be able to negotiate a free upgrade for you (say from an
outside to a balcony) based on the last minute pricing structure. I had
that happen on the Queen Mary 2 last summer. I started in an outside, and
ended up in a balcony.

To me, those are the 2 major reasons to book with an experienced cruise
travel agent. There are other reasons like knowledge of insurance, passport
requirements, shore excursions, ports, itineraries, etc. But these are the
2 main reasons for me.

How do you find a good one? See who the helpful travel agents are who post
here (not the ones who just post press releases to get their name out, but
ones who reply to threads without obvious attempts to advertise). Or ask
some of the people here who they use. Many of us have been on 30-40+
cruises... we know who's on the up and up. TA's who have our best interests
at hand.

You don't need a local TA in town. My 2 are on opposite ends of the
country - California and New Jersey. I deal with them via e-mal, or the
phone. Plus I've actually sailed with both of them on multiple occasions.
Both are good friends.

--Tom

Old March 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
.LoveGod.--

Well in the uk its 5%/10% cheaper than booking direct.

Old March 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Krause

Not only will you get the best price but you also will get bonuses you
might not find yourself.

My TA found a room credit of $50 just for using a Visa Card.
Plus TAs often give a little gift on board... like chocolate covered
strawberries, a bottle of wine, etc.

Old March 29th, 2009, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick Valentini

Thanks for your replies.
I will definetly use a travel agent.

Rick

Old March 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mar 28, 9:18*pm, (Rick Valentini) wrote:
Thanks for your replies.
I will definetly use a travel agent.

Rick

I just booked a cruise with NCL, my TA got a discount for me because I
had sailed with NCL before, plus I got a discount for being a union
member. Had I booked this online, I doubt that I would have gotten any
discounts. Also someone mention the fact that a good TA will be
looking for upgrades for you. Have a great cruise.

Hannibal
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_4_]

Rick Valentini wrote:
Thanks for your replies.
I will definetly use a travel agent.

Rick

I'm glad you're going that route. Don't be afraid to find one who'll
work with you and you're comfortable with!

Clay
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MRDPE

Tom K wrote:
[...]

Good points - I agree with all of that - I have always used a TA for cruises
(and AI's). I would recommend doing some of your own research first; that
way you can somewhat know what you want and ask better questions.

--
MRDPE

http://TheProfessionalEngineer.com

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

And We love you all and we need to feed our families and love what we
are doing!
Would you call a plumber to put a new roof on your house???

Susette
Cruiseoutlets and travel
800-853-9515