Ryanair vs. easyJet Booking

Old June 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Ryanair vs. easyJet Booking

congokid wrote:

In article , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

Get an electron
card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

I have a Visa Debit card - would that be accepted do you think?

No- only Visa electron.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"tim....." wrote in message

"BartC" wrote in message
om...

(A few months back I tried to apply for a Nationwide card to avoid
foreign cash withdrawal charges. After filling out the form with all my
personal details, I got a screen saying I'd been refused the card.

So was I. As, at the time, I had a savings account with them with a large
five figure sum in it the assistant saw how stupid this rejection was and
overruled it. I suspected that I got rejected because I didn't check the
"move my standing orders to this account" box and the system thought that
I had only applied for the account to get "free" foreign transactions and
wasn't going to use it for anything else.

I also had considerable cash assets, though not in Nationwide, but there's
no box on the form for this! But it does ask for Job: none (I have private
means), Owner-occupier or Tenant: tenant (because I'd sold a couple of
houses just before the crash, but no box for that either!) and so on.

But I suspect they prefer individuals who aren't so wealthy where they will
make more money. And in fact I /did/ want the card solely for foreign
transactions, although would probably used it for other things too. Sod
them.

Now I just take cash, in sterling, to places that will change it without
profiteering, or pay the card charges in other places. The extra yearly cost
is not huge. The weak pound is a bigger factor now.

--
Bart

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
BartC wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
BartC wrote:

Have just booked a flight with easyJet after years of using only
Ryanair
(for European trips).

Get an electron card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

The charges are more of a nuisance than anything; if I travel 6 times a
year
with Ryanair then it'll cost me £60. With easyJet, it'll cost me £18.

The headaches of finding a supplier of electron cards (as they seem to be
rather elusive), applying for one, possibly being refused, and the extra
maintenance and extra id theft risks associated with another card I don't
really need, would be even more of a nuisance.

It took me a couple of minutes to apply for a simple halifax account
online and I got the card in the post a week later. I often travel with
my partner, so that doubles the savings.

This is for an electron card, or a card with no foreign withdrawal fee? I
couldn't find mention of either on the Halifax website.

--
bart

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

om...

BartC wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in
message

Get an electron card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

The headaches of finding a supplier of electron cards (as they seem to
be
rather elusive),

It took me a couple of minutes to apply for a simple halifax account
online and I got the card in the post a week later. I often travel with
my partner, so that doubles the savings.

This is for an electron card, or a card with no foreign withdrawal fee? I
couldn't find mention of either on the Halifax website.

OK, I did a search and the product is called 'easycash'. I filled in an
application and it least it had the decency not to reject me straight away;
I will hear by mail instead...

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

BartC wrote:

[...]

Electron. The no foreign withdrawal fee card would be Nationwide, which
I also have.

couldn't find mention of either on the Halifax website.

Search for "halifax electron." First hit.

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

BartC wrote:

Have just booked a flight with easyJet after years of using only Ryanair
(for European trips).

Get an electron card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

The charges are more of a nuisance than anything; if I travel 6 times a
year with Ryanair then it'll cost me £60. With easyJet, it'll cost me
£18.

The headaches of finding a supplier of electron cards (as they seem to be
rather elusive), applying for one, possibly being refused, and the extra
maintenance and extra id theft risks associated with another card I don't
really need, would be even more of a nuisance.

It took me a couple of minutes to apply for a simple halifax account
online and I got the card in the post a week later. I often travel with
my partner, so that doubles the savings.

Maybe you have a better credit rating than BartC?

The simple halifax account is for kids. I have no reason for suspecting
my credit rating is poor, but I don't think credit rating is really
important for such an account.

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If BartC has been rejected I would suspect his rating is poor not yours.

He was rejected by a different bank- I suspect there were other issues
there. The Halifax account I got is aimed at people with _no_ credit
rating.

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge16

Default martin and horne, horne and martin and yawn

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" a écrit dans le
message de ...
Martin wrote:

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:55:57 +0100, (David Horne,
_the_

chancellor (*)) wrote:

congokid wrote:

In article , "David
Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

Get an electron
card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

I have a Visa Debit card - would that be accepted do you think?

No- only Visa electron.

Those who issued Visa Electron cards seem to be replacing them with
Visa Debit cards.

You can still easily get one from Halifax.

Yes but that is one of the last, if not the last.

Perhaps so, but as long as one lasts, it allows Ryanair to play this
game in the UK. I got the heads up from
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ to apply for Halifax.

As so few people have Electron, I suspect Ryanair will continue the game
for a while longer...