jetstar virblue fares

Old February 27th, 2004, 07:33 AM
cole

Default jetstar virblue fares

From looking at jetstar.com.au it appears they've sold all the $29ers? How
do I find if there are any left?

Virginblue has double the $29 seats and nearly all the flights are sold out
http://www.virginblue.com.au/sale/seatsale04.html
Do you think the airlines will be offering more $29 fares?

I've been able to find some good ~$60 flights with good old qantas, so now's
the time to travel huh?

cole

Old February 27th, 2004, 12:46 PM
steven

i tried getting a $29er to tassie the first day they went on sale. 5
hours after they opened i finally got through and i had in front of me
the chance to purchase a two way ticket. i hesitated for a few minutes,
and when i finally clicked purchase, they had been sold. all that were
left were $99 tickets.
however, several hours later whinging to a friend that i'd missed out, i
randomly clicked the same dates i'd tried earlier, and there were some
available! that time i didn't hesitate.
two lessons to be learned: if you have the chance, buy them!
keep trying, i think they may be offering them in stages/bundles.
-s-

From looking at jetstar.com.au it appears they've sold all the $29ers? How

Old February 27th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Shellie

I was lucky enough to purchase 2 tickets TWICE on the same plane to
Hamilton Island!!! It took about 12 hours of constant trying and yes,
many times I got to the booking stage before they were then again
sold. I was even lucky enough to help a friend to purchase 2 tickets
from Newcastle to Brisbane return. All for the $29. The motto is
definitely to keep trying!!!
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Scott Howard

Raffi Balmanoukian a wrote:
I wonder about overbooking. No offence to this specific series of
sales/transactions (seems to me I paid more than that in Ansett levies!) but
all airlines overbook by at least a few seats.....

Overbooking is not legal under Australian law. You can't sell something
which you know you can't provide, and selling the 101st seat on a plane
which only seats 100 is doing exactly that.

(Of course, that's not to say that it doesn't occasionally "accidently"
occur)

Scott.
Old February 28th, 2004, 09:12 PM
David Bennetts

"Scott Howard" wrote in message
Raffi Balmanoukian a

wrote:
I wonder about overbooking. No offence to this specific series of
sales/transactions (seems to me I paid more than that in Ansett levies!)

but
all airlines overbook by at least a few seats.....

Overbooking is not legal under Australian law. You can't sell something
which you know you can't provide, and selling the 101st seat on a plane
which only seats 100 is doing exactly that.

(Of course, that's not to say that it doesn't occasionally "accidently"
occur)

Scott.

Yet Qantas almost admit that they do it:
see
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...sCarriage#jump
6

Whilst indeed you can't sell something that you know you can't provide,
there is almost invariably a percentage of last minute cancellations and
"no-shows" which can be allowed for. Particularly those full-fare
passengers who do not have any penalty applied if they don't turn up, those
who miss their plane through traffic congestion etc. I doubt whether any
airline in Australia has been prosecuted for following this practice.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old February 28th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , David Bennetts at

wrote:
[...]

Exactly. I think you could stretch the Competition Act (Canada) to cover
oversold seats as well (you have to have "reasonable quantity" - two people
in one seat isn't....) but overselling is quite openly done.

I'm wondering if the Virgin/Jetstar seats aren't being even more oversold
than "normal" because a lot of people would be buying on a "what the hell"
basis - if they don't go, it's just $29 (or what have you), so there will be
more "no shows" than would be the case if they were paying an average of,
say, $299....