Car rental prices

Old April 24th, 2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AlexZ

Default Car rental prices

For a 10 day car rental in late May, Enterprise is quoting:

Economy car (Chevy Aveo and similar): $98/week + $19/day
Compact car (Dodge neon and similar): $103/week + $20/day

This is from the airport. City locations are much higher for the same
cars.

Everyone else is much higher as well.

Are these prices good? If anybody knows of any promotion codes, please
let me know. Thanks.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
rieker

Economy car (Chevy Aveo and similar): $98/week + $19/day
Compact car (Dodge neon and similar): $103/week + $20/day

Do you work for the CIA? You can expect a better answer if you divulge the
location that you are interested in. If you do work for the CIA, the
taxpayers will pay whatever the charges are. sic

Have you checked www.priceline.com. You can bid on rentals there. Read the
conditions before doing so.

You can also go to www.biddingfortravel.com and see what successful
priceline bidders have been paying.

Old April 24th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AlexZ

rieker wrote:

: Have you checked www.priceline.com. You can bid on rentals there. Read the
: conditions before doing so.

I try to avoid those sites where you have to prepay before they tell
you anything. I am sure they work for some, but just not my type.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

AlexZ wrote:

rieker wrote:

: Have you checked www.priceline.com. You can bid on rentals there. Read the
: conditions before doing so.

I try to avoid those sites where you have to prepay before they tell
you anything. I am sure they work for some, but just not my type.

It's not that they don't tell you anything. After all, you specify the
car class, location, pickup and return times. You just don't know which
of the companies you will get the rental from, but I believe there are
only about 5 or 6 different ones (all major)
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AlexZ

Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:

: It's not that they don't tell you anything. After all, you specify the
: car class, location, pickup and return times. You just don't know which
: of the companies you will get the rental from, but I believe there are
: only about 5 or 6 different ones (all major)

I realize that my opinion of priceline was formed on the basis of how
they handle airline tickets. Still don't like prepayment, but the rest
of it doesn't sound too bad. I'll check them out.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AlexZ

Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:

: It's not that they don't tell you anything. After all, you specify the
: car class, location, pickup and return times. You just don't know which
: of the companies you will get the rental from, but I believe there are
: only about 5 or 6 different ones (all major)

I realize that my opinion of priceline was formed on the basis of how
they handle airline tickets. Still don't like prepayment, but the rest
of it doesn't sound too bad. I'll check them out.

Later Edit: Priceline does not require prepayment, but their prices
weren't good either. Hotwire's prices were good, but they require
prepayment and the reservation cannot be changed later.

So far, Enterprise seems to be the best deal.
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

AlexZ wrote:

Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:

: It's not that they don't tell you anything. After all, you specify the
: car class, location, pickup and return times. You just don't know which
: of the companies you will get the rental from, but I believe there are
: only about 5 or 6 different ones (all major)

I realize that my opinion of priceline was formed on the basis of how
they handle airline tickets. Still don't like prepayment, but the rest
of it doesn't sound too bad. I'll check them out.

If you plan right, you could also narrow the number of hotel choices.
I have used them a couple of times for hotels when I had early flights
out of SJC. That was quite a while ago, but there were only 2
possibilities for the class and area I booked, both extended stay
properties that were suitable. I got the same hotel both times, but
would have been ok with the other. I would never use them for air travel.
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article , AlexZ
wrote:

For a 10 day car rental in late May, Enterprise is quoting:

Economy car (Chevy Aveo and similar): $98/week + $19/day
Compact car (Dodge neon and similar): $103/week + $20/day

This is from the airport. City locations are much higher for the same
cars.

Everyone else is much higher as well.

Are these prices good? If anybody knows of any promotion codes, please
let me know. Thanks.

Depends on where and when.
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article , AlexZ
wrote:

Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:

: It's not that they don't tell you anything. After all, you specify the
: car class, location, pickup and return times. You just don't know which
: of the companies you will get the rental from, but I believe there are
: only about 5 or 6 different ones (all major)

I realize that my opinion of priceline was formed on the basis of how
they handle airline tickets. Still don't like prepayment, but the rest
of it doesn't sound too bad. I'll check them out.

Check out the rental car rates at the Southwest Airlines web site
http://www.swa.com

You don't have to book a flight in order to book a rental car via SWA.
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Dennis P. Harris

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:54:43 -0500 in rec.travel.air, AlexZ
wrote:

So far, Enterprise seems to be the best deal.

it depends. they are mostly locally owned franchises, and some
folks have found to their regret that local franchisees sometimes
have rules like not taking the car out of the state (as somone
renting a car in california to drive to reno, nevada, and back
found out). at least one enterprise franchisee was using GPS to
track their cars, a privacy violation to which i would never
consent.