Is E-ticket okay for International travel?

Old March 17th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

Default Is E-ticket okay for International travel?

In article ,
Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:

E-Ticket is just like a paper form ticket, but without the paper....

Except that a paper ticket is a negotiable document

In what sense is a paper ticket negotiable? Most CoCs I've seen (Spirit
seems to be the only exception in the US) prohibit name changes, even
on full-fare tickets, meaning you can't really sell your paper ticket
to anyone.

If an
airline finds that the value of a ticket you lost has been redeemed
somewhere, it can get even more complicated.

How can someone ``redeem'' the value of a ticket issued to a different
person? I honestly can't think of any way to do this, but maybe I'm
just not inventive enough

Old March 17th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
maryanne kehoe wrote:

There are some countries that don't accept e-tickets (most notably,
Russia.)

Nonsense. Both Delta and BA (and plenty of other carriers, I'm sure)
sell e-tickets to and from Russia.

Old March 17th, 2004, 06:54 AM
mtravelkay

maryanne kehoe wrote:

There are some countries that don't accept e-tickets (most notably,
Russia.)

I have used e-ticket on BA from LHR to Russia

Old March 17th, 2004, 09:01 AM
freeda

I've found a pretty good rate for BA flights in October (SEA to AMS, MUC
SEA)
but the rates are only good for E-tickets.
I feel aprehensive about this, but don't know if I am worrying needlessly.
What is the opinion of the group? Is it a good idea to fly BA
internationally with
E-tickets?

Some airlines on certain routes won't do a paper ticket. Notably SQ
LHR-SIN. Or at least my TA told me so.

Old March 17th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Javaman" wrote in message
I've found a pretty good rate for BA flights in October (SEA to AMS, MUC

SEA)
but the rates are only good for E-tickets.
I feel aprehensive about this, but don't know if I am worrying needlessly.
What is the opinion of the group? Is it a good idea to fly BA
internationally with
E-tickets?
Thanks for your advice!

Is this the usual worry of wondering if 'foreign' places actually have
electricity, never mind computers?

;-)

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Mike

Yes unless something goes wrong. I was on Delta, missed a connection,
needed to be rerouted on Air France, it would not take eTicket from
Delta. I almost missed flight waiting on Delta to issue a paper
ticket. Still I prefer etickets. To much hassle if you lose a paper
ticket -- and I sometimes do!!!

I've found a pretty good rate for BA flights in October (SEA to AMS, MUC to

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Javaman

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"Javaman" wrote in message
I've found a pretty good rate for BA flights in October (SEA to AMS, MUC

SEA)
but the rates are only good for E-tickets.
I feel aprehensive about this, but don't know if I am worrying

needlessly.
What is the opinion of the group? Is it a good idea to fly BA
internationally with
E-tickets?
Thanks for your advice!

Is this the usual worry of wondering if 'foreign' places actually have
electricity, never mind computers?

;-)

Actually, no, but I understand your comment.
I've flown to Europe 4 times in the last 4 years, but only with a paper
ticket
and never with BA. AND (more importantly), I've always had non-stops and
now I'll have to change in London. So, I am always wary of connections,
especially since I have never been to Heathrow. I ususally fly direct to
Schiphol
or FRA.

Old March 17th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Nige

"Javaman" wrote in message
I've found a pretty good rate for BA flights in October (SEA to AMS, MUC

SEA)
but the rates are only good for E-tickets.
I feel aprehensive about this, but don't know if I am worrying needlessly.
What is the opinion of the group? Is it a good idea to fly BA
internationally with
E-tickets?
Thanks for your advice!

Booking via the Internet is very normal these days. Ticketless flights are
great. Recently I have noticed that an ID number from the printed off
booking confirmation is not needed at check in. They just look at your
passport and go to the flight passenger list. I suppose that if there were 2
or more pax with the same name, they may ask for the booking reference.
Seems so much easier than all that silly rigmarole of coupons. I still keep
copy of the booking though!