Immigration Cards - Russia.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:06 AM
Citronella

Default Immigration Cards - Russia.

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:02:44 +0700, Citronella
wrote:

The immigration cards are stamped with the official stamp of the
places where you stay. You don't fill in the card, the hotel fills in
the card. If you do a private homestay (which is a totally separate
issue compared to staying at hotels) then the immigration official in
whatever city you are staying in fills in the form and stamps it.

I should have said 'you only fill in your personal details' and should
not have said 'you don't fill in the card'.

C.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:17 AM
Gregory Morrow

mtravelkay wrote:

maryanne kehoe wrote:

Yes, but as I understand it the immigration card lists ALL of your
addresses that you will be at during your time in the country. A lot of
people were staying in private accomodation and not registering with the
local militia (police) as is required within 72 hours of arriving in the
country. The immigration card was designed to counteract that.

How does this prevent people from lieing about the addresses they will
be staying at? How does this change anything? If the concern is about
illegal immigrants, then they should be able to determine if they have a
valid visa or not, and if it has been registered. How does the
immigration card improve on this, other than give you a second piece of
Russian government paper to carry around?

Sounds like she has the issue of internal Russian migration (domestic
residence permits are required for some Russian cities) confused with
this immigration card....

--
Best
Greg
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:48 AM
Gregory Morrow

KGB wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:28:25 -0500 (EST), (maryanne
kehoe) wrote:

Yes, but as I understand it the immigration card lists ALL of your
addresses that you will be at during your time in the country. A lot of
people were staying in private accomodation and not registering with the
local militia (police) as is required within 72 hours of arriving in the
country. The immigration card was designed to counteract that.

Hi Maryanne

The original plan was for my wife and I to stay with a family in
private accomodation in Moscow for a few days prior to the start of
our Trans-Sib trip. However, we were subsequently informed by our
travel company that this has now been banned by the authorities and we
would have to stay in a hotel instead.

Or maybe your travel company just wants to make a commission on hotel
bookings :-)

Your reply presumably indicates why it has been banned.

First off, I wouldn't put any stock in any "information" Maryanne
might give you....

Secondly, I'd contact the Russian Embassy in the UK to clarify
matters. Here is the URL (with downloadable forms, etc.)...I'd give
them a ring concerning the matter of private accomodations in Russia.
Nothing I've seen on the UK or US Russian Consular sites mentions
anything about private accomodations being "forbidden" (or maybe those
websites just don't have the very latest info):

http://www.rusemblon.org/

I'm also x - posting this to rec.travel.europe. There *are* quite a
few well - informed posters on rte who may be able to offer some
advice.

--
Best
Greg
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:00 AM
louis xiv

AFAIK there's no ban on staying in Private Acommodation, you just need a
letter of invite which involves someone at their end carrying out the
neccessary paperwork (sending you a letter of invitation to take to the
embassy to get your visa etc.). They did go through my paperwork fairly
rigidly at the border on the way out so it's worth getting it right.

I've always found www.waytorussia.net extremely helpful. Everbrite's info on
the Thorn Tree at Lonely Planet is good too. They'll have up to date info
and are quite good at letting you know how it actually works, sometimes
better than the embassy's rigid official line.

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in message
om...

Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
mtravelkay

louis xiv wrote:

AFAIK there's no ban on staying in Private Acommodation, you just need a
letter of invite which involves someone at their end carrying out the
neccessary paperwork (sending you a letter of invitation to take to the
embassy to get your visa etc.). They did go through my paperwork fairly
rigidly at the border on the way out so it's worth getting it right.

I think the problem is that they are getting the wrong kind of visa for
this. It sounds like they are getting a "tourist visa" when they would
need a "private visa".

Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:22 PM
Ulf Kutzner

mtravelkay schrieb:

Is this card in addition to the visa? I don't see the reason behind
having a card since you would normally have you visa checked on arrival,
registered at the hotel (or business, or with the government), then
checked again at departure.

The immigration card will be stamped upon registration, not the visa.

Regards & X-post, ULF
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:06 PM
louis xiv

Yes but my understanding is that a private visa would be more applicable for
those with friends or family in Russia whereas it might be possible to get a
(more straightforward) tourist visa if staying with a family as a paying
guest. It's complicated and I'd still be tempted to seek advice from Lonely
Planet or Way to Russia websites..

"mtravelkay" wrote in message
. com...

Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Bjorn Olsson

"KGB" (KGB) wrote in message ...
Hi

My wife and I are shortly "doing" the Trans-Sib rail trip from Moscow
to Beijing, flying into Moscow's Domodedovo Airport at the start of
the journey.

However, I have just received the following info from the travel
company:-

"In accordance with the new laws on immigration, all foreign visitors
to Russia are now (as of 9th Jan 2003) to be issued with an
Immigration Card. The card will be issued to you on arrival by the
Immigration Officer who examines your passport at Passport Control.

The card is extremely important - effectively as important as your
passport and you MUST NOT LOSE IT. If you lose it, it will prejudice
your position most severely.......However, the implementation of the
Immigration Card scheme has not gone entirely smoothly and there have
been reports that some border posts - at Moscow and St Petersburg
airports - do not have an adequate supply of the forms. This
obviously places visitors in a difficult position which we are unable
to advise upon......"

It goes on to suggest that you try and insist on being given a card
and if this fails, "...They cannot reasonably take action against you
if you were not given an Immigration Form in the first place" - which
sounds to be a Catch 22 situation to me and a trifle dodgy!!!!

What happens if they don't give you a card? Have the Russian
Authorities resolved the problem yet and if not, can the card be
downloaded and printed out from the WWW in advance? - (I know this is
possible with the Customs Declaration Form but cannot find any
reference to the Immigration card being downloadable).

Any recent experiences in this matter and up-to-date info would be
appreciated - neither my wife nor myself fancy languishing in a cell
at the Russia/Mongolia border whilst the lack of Immigration Card is
sorted out!!!!!!

Relax. Don't worry.

You will get an immigration card either during the flight or just
before the passport checkpoint at the border. AFAIK, the problems
referred to was a temporary situation which has been sorted out by
now, and they won't even let you enter until you have filled in the
immigation card.

For any non-US citizen who has visited the US, the card and the
procedure are both very familiar. The card looks like this:

http://www.waytorussia.net/RussianVi...rationCard.jpg

A larger sample can be seen he

http://www.waytorussia.net/RussianVi...rationCard.pdf

But you can NOT print this one out and use it, since the real cards
are numbered and have a slightly different format. But this shows you
what information is asked for on the card, and as you can see it's all
just very basic info.

Bjorn
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Bjorn Olsson

Citronella wrote in message . ..
The immigration cards are stamped with the official stamp of the
places where you stay. You don't fill in the card, the hotel fills in
the card.

No, you fill in the card, the hotel does not fill in the card.