Amsterdam turning into a prudish backwater?

Old December 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan

Default Amsterdam turning into a prudish backwater?

A majority of the Amsterdam district council 'Amsterdam Centrum' have
voted in favour of a measure that would forbid customers from sitting
outside on a terrace past midnight. A Dutch newspaper says the centre of
Amsterdam is moving another step towards becoming a 'Staphorst on the
Amstel'. Staphorst is considered the most strict and devout Calvinist
town in the Netherlands.

Previously the district council ruled that customers cannot drink while
standing. The free newspaper De Pers quotes an owner of a pub in
Amsterdam, who says with a deep sigh:

"Now we'll have to hire an extra employee to act as a sort of police
officer who will walk around seeing to it that customers don't drink
while standing. They will also have to ensure that customers are gone
(from the terrace) by midnight... when they'd rather sit there until
four." Earlier, the council ruled that outside terraces cannot be heated
because it is a waste of energy and hence environmentally unfriendly.

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/curre...dam-provincial
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
take it up the scRunge

On 21 Dec, 18:11, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
[...]

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/curre...therlands/0805...

come to Belgium....we don't care

Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge13[_2_]

hahaha funny martin !

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:04:04 +0000, Alex wrote:

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

Earlier, the council ruled that outside terraces cannot be heated
because it is a waste of energy and hence environmentally unfriendly.

well, they got that right

They got the smoking ban right too
--

Martin

Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

A majority of the Amsterdam district council 'Amsterdam Centrum' have
voted in favour of a measure that would forbid customers from sitting
outside on a terrace past midnight. A Dutch newspaper says the centre of
Amsterdam is moving another step towards becoming a 'Staphorst on the
Amstel'. Staphorst is considered the most strict and devout Calvinist
town in the Netherlands.

A lot of people live in the centre of Amsterdam. Don't they have the
right not to be kept awake all night by drunken Brits on stag and hen
parties?

Previously the district council ruled that customers cannot drink
while standing. The free newspaper De Pers quotes an owner of a pub
in Amsterdam, who says with a deep sigh:

Anyone who's seen a "vertical drinking" establishment in Britain will
know exactly why the rest of the world might not see it as a noble
example to emulate.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
hackamore

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
[...]

Hi Mike,

There's been a lot of claptrap coming out of Amsterdam lately.

First they gave the window-girls and brothels (which they just legalized
fairly recently) problems over taxes etc and closed some.

fewer things to see fewer visitors.

Then the Rijksmuseum is more or less closed (only a SMALL annex open
until 2013).

fewer things to see fewer visitors.

so lets zone a bunch of old well established coffee shops out of
existence (or at least make them move)... and while we're at it let's
ban tobacco smoking in public places (cannabis smoking is still kinda
sorta legal... but no mixing it with tobacco like the euros do)... and
let's make the FEW coffee shops that had liquor licenses grandfathered
in from before coffee shops were licensed to choose to either stop
selling liquor or give up their coffee shop license.

fewer things to see fewer visitors.

and they wonder why there are fewer tourists visiting!

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
hackamore

A long term resident wonders why you can't get your drugs and prostitutes in
your own country.

Hi,

actually I can get all the drugs I want/need here...

I even have prescriptions for them...

I do use far less of the narcotic drugs I'm legally prescribed when in
Amsterdam and can stop into a licensed coffee shop when my back is
spasming instead of taking narcotics.

I -am- happy that the formerly ever present junkies are no longer at all
the bridges trying to sell fake and/or hard drugs.

Separating the Hard Drug Trade from the Soft Drug Trade WORKS.

Giving methadone and/or clean injection kits (the white bus) to the
junkies WORKS.

as far as the prostitutes... I think they're more of a curiosity to most
tourists... something to see rather than to patronize...

I know my wife (admittedly an open minded adventurous sort) peddled by
some of the windows just to look....

there was this one rather elegant/refined lady in a perch like window
over a bike parking rack... we saw her several times when parking, she
was always reading (it was usually mid-day).

Old January 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
hackamore

Mike wrote:
hackamore wrote:

Separating the Hard Drug Trade from the Soft Drug Trade WORKS.

yes, I think so

Giving methadone and/or clean injection kits (the white bus) to the
junkies WORKS.

OK

as far as the prostitutes... I think they're more of a curiosity to most
tourists... something to see rather than to patronize...

Hmmm, but they must be making a living?

Hi,

that's true...

but the only person I've every actually met who contracted with a girl
was a couple in Amsterdam for a magazine sponsored event and it was her
time of the month and she was up for him having fun and her watching!

Old January 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

hackamo
Mike wrote:
hackamore wrote:

as far as the prostitutes... I think they're more of a curiosity to most
tourists... something to see rather than to patronize...

Hmmm, but they must be making a living?

but the only person I've every actually met who contracted with a girl
was a couple in Amsterdam for a magazine sponsored event and it was her
time of the month and she was up for him having fun and her watching!

Go there once more, and hang around for half an hour at prime time. See
how many men enter and leave the rooms. See how often the window
curtains are opened and closed.

Sure, the majority of people walking the tight streets in the red light
district are tourists or passers-by. But there are way more than just a
few customers out there.

--
Erick
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_110_]

Martin wrote:

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:11:56 +0100, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

hackamo
Mike wrote:
hackamore wrote:

as far as the prostitutes... I think they're more of a curiosity to

most
tourists... something to see rather than to patronize...

Hmmm, but they must be making a living?

but the only person I've every actually met who contracted with a girl
was a couple in Amsterdam for a magazine sponsored event and it was her
time of the month and she was up for him having fun and her watching!

Go there once more, and hang around for half an hour at prime time. See
how many men enter and leave the rooms. See how often the window
curtains are opened and closed.

Sure, the majority of people walking the tight streets in the red light
district are tourists or passers-by. But there are way more than just a
few customers out there.

There's all the foreign voyeurs too.

Lutherans from Minneapolis and Oslo...

--