Traveling with US and EU passports?

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

Default Traveling with US and EU passports?

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:25:51 -0500, 223rem wrote:

When traveling from the US to the EU and back: if I use an EU country
passport to enter the EU, and my US passport when returning to the US,
will the US border agent wonder why I have no foreign stamps on my US
passport corresponding to my travel dates? Is it even legal to do
something like that?

I have done this often. I live in Italy, and use my US passport to
enter the US and my EU passport to return home. I once asked at the
airline checkin if it was legal and they said it was. You might want a
more official answer than that.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:25:51 -0500, 223rem wrote:

When traveling from the US to the EU and back: if I use an EU country
passport to enter the EU, and my US passport when returning to the US,
will the US border agent wonder why I have no foreign stamps on my US
passport corresponding to my travel dates? Is it even legal to do
something like that?

Thanks!

In this day and age of paranoia stick to one
passport for the journey. Airlines record your
passport info these days on International trips.
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"irwell" skrev i meddelandet
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:25:51 -0500, 223rem wrote:

When traveling from the US to the EU and back: if I use an EU country
passport to enter the EU, and my US passport when returning to the US,
will the US border agent wonder why I have no foreign stamps on my US
passport corresponding to my travel dates? Is it even legal to do
something like that?

Thanks!

In this day and age of paranoia stick to one
passport for the journey. Airlines record your
passport info these days on International trips.

----------
True. And at least for trips to U.S the airlines are required to provide and
send a number of details to the U.S immigration in advance.

Old February 25th, 2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank F. Matthews

irwell wrote:

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:25:51 -0500, 223rem wrote:

When traveling from the US to the EU and back: if I use an EU country
passport to enter the EU, and my US passport when returning to the US,
will the US border agent wonder why I have no foreign stamps on my US
passport corresponding to my travel dates? Is it even legal to do
something like that?

Thanks!

In this day and age of paranoia stick to one
passport for the journey. Airlines record your
passport info these days on International trips.

It would be a good idea to provide them with the passport identification
that you intend to use to enter the US. I suspect that the European
side is far less likely to try to match the passport numbers at entry.
I suspect that it would also be useful to show the passport at boarding
that they expect.

Old February 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:29:49 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
wrote:

True. And at least for trips to U.S the airlines are required to provide and
send a number of details to the U.S immigration in advance.

When I check in for a flight, I show the passport I intend to use for
passport control at the other end., i.e., I show the US passport at
checkin when leaving Italy and the Italian passport when leaving the
US.

Old February 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_1_]

wrote:

True. And at least for trips to U.S the airlines are required to provide and
send a number of details to the U.S immigration in advance.

When I check in for a flight, I show the passport I intend to use for
passport control at the other end., i.e., I show the US passport at
checkin when leaving Italy and the Italian passport when leaving the
US.

When I check in for a USEU or EUUS flight, I use my US passport.
Going through Immigration in the EU, I use my EU passport; going through
US immigration, I use my US one.
Some years back, when the UK had exit control, I would show the UK
passport to Immigration, and the US one to the airline. I once
accidentally showed my US passport at exit control (not realising that
it was an Immigration check - I was jet-lagged) and was scolded for not
showing the UK one.