Bahamas Port Charges

Old April 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

Default Bahamas Port Charges

I have looked using Google, but have not been able to get a firm
figure on what the port charges per person is for a cruise boat
docking at Nassau Bahamas. This not about a dispute with the cruise
lines, but rather a individual who claims the charges are $118 person.

Considering how cheap some cruises are that got to the Bahamas for a
few days are, I can't believe that the port head tax is so high.

Does anyone have the numbers. Also, I went to the Port Authority page
but while other pages show up, the fees and duties section will not
load for me. Is it my browser, or is the page missing for some reason?
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 06:39:19 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger
wrote:

Does anyone have the numbers. Also, I went to the Port Authority page
but while other pages show up, the fees and duties section will not
load for me. Is it my browser, or is the page missing for some reason?

Hi Earl,

You may have a hard time finding that number and even if you find a
number it might be meaningless as each cruise company can negotiate
with all of the various ports of call all over the world. It is not
necessarily the same charge depending on the buying power and
negotiating skills of the various companies. While an island nation
may charge one company $5 per person they may give back part of this
fee if the company commits to bringing X amount of people over a
period of time.
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

On Apr 8, 8:58*am, Ray Goldenberg wrote:

*While an island nation
may charge one company $5 per person they may give back part of this
fee if the company commits to bringing X amount of people over a
period of time.

So the cruise lines deal/ship in bulk?

My problem is the only two links I found suggested the min. was $19 on
one site while another site stated $45 as the max for Bahamas. I was
hoping to narrow the range, but would you suggest this is a reasonable
range better the big cruises lines and the smaller ones then? As even
these figures are well below what this individual quoted to me.
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

wrote:

Does anyone have the numbers. Also, I went to the Port Authority page
but while other pages show up, the fees and duties section will not
load for me. Is it my browser, or is the page missing for some reason?

Hi Earl,

You may have a hard time finding that number and even if you find a
number it might be meaningless as each cruise company can negotiate
with all of the various ports of call all over the world. It is not
necessarily the same charge depending on the buying power and
negotiating skills of the various companies. While an island nation
may charge one company $5 per person they may give back part of this
fee if the company commits to bringing X amount of people over a
period of time.

Maybe this person is extrapolating from the fees for private yachts

Boats up to 35 feet long will be charged a $150(USD) entry fee, while
boats over 35 feet will pay $300(USD). These fees include a cruising
permit, fishing permit, and departure tax for up to four people
without overtime charges for Customs or Immigration. If you need
overtime, it will be extra (like if you get there on Sunday or late)
An additional departure tax is charged for more than four passengers.
The entry fee used to be $100

By air there is a $15(USD) departure tax. If you're leaving from
Freeport, the departure tax is $18(USD).

Old April 9th, 2010, 03:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 14:47:21 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger
wrote:

My problem is the only two links I found suggested the min. was $19 on
one site while another site stated $45 as the max for Bahamas. I was
hoping to narrow the range, but would you suggest this is a reasonable
range better the big cruises lines and the smaller ones then? As even
these figures are well below what this individual quoted to me.

Hi Earl,

Various cruise lines includes various "fees" in the "taxes and fees".
Cruise lines have always refused to give a breakdown of these "fees"
that are in the "taxes and fees". This is why you see a huge variance
in the "taxes and fees". IOW, it is very possible that you saw a line
showing "taxes and fees" of $100-$300. The taxes MAY make up a very
small portion of the "taxes and fees".