Amtrak NYC to DC - $$$$

Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:36 PM

Default Amtrak NYC to DC - $$$$

I am making progress on planning for this trip, but just learned via the
Amtrak website that the roundtrip train ride between NYC and DC is $144!
Yikes, that's pretty pricey. I can't believe that everyone who
regularly commutes between the two cities pays that much. Are there
"deals" I should know about, or should I stop researching Amtrak and
start researching Greyhound? Thanks.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:01 AM
Miguel Cruz

In article , wrote:
I am making progress on planning for this trip, but just learned via the
Amtrak website that the roundtrip train ride between NYC and DC is $144!

Book with discount code V822 which cuts it down to $57.60 each way (may not
work on Fridays and Sundays).

Or take the bus. Right now pretty much everyone (Greyhound, various
Chinatown companies) are $35-40 round trip.

Or fly. LGA-DCA can be had for as little as $110 on the shuttles with enough
advance notice.

Or bike. It takes a couple days but parts of the ride are quite nice (and
parts are pretty awful, I have to admit). Free if you sleep rough.

miguel
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:37 AM
Pan

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:08:35 -0400, "Pan" wrote:

Try the Chinatown buses, usually $35 roundtrip. Just do a google for
"chinatown bus."

I was thinking of posting the same thing. Duelling "Pan"s. :-P

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:38 AM
Miguel Cruz

ImFlying2LA wrote:
Actually some people say that taking Amtrak between N.Y.C. and D.C. is
more convenient than flying between N.Y.C. and D.C.

It's a lot easier - you go the station in the center of one city 10 minutes
before departure, get on the train, then arrive in the center of the other
city.

On the other hand it can take longer than flying (not that much longer -
maybe 20 minutes or so all told, and only if you're a late airport arriver),
and on weekends the train is intolerable because there is no quiet car so
you have to listen to everyone yakking on their cellphones for 3 hours.

miguel
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:20 AM
eric h

In article , wrote:

Yes, it really surprised me, considering the round-trip fare from Seattle
(where I'm from) to Portland Oregon, a similar distance, is about $50.
I wonder why the huge discrepancy.

1. The distance is longer: 230 miles NYC to DC, vs 174 from Sea to PDX.

2. The train is faster on the NYC-DC route.

3. It's more reliable, more frequent, and more competitive.

4. Demand is higher because the market is larger, given the size of the
two cities.

5. The cheaper alternatives are either slower (bus) or less convenient
(flying). Driving is subject to tolls, congestion, and parking costs
at both ends.

I've made the trip a couple of times. I'm usually in a hurry, so I skip
the bus. I could fly it, but Amtrak is less subject to airport congestion
and weather delays. It's one of the few places in the US where you can
experience a relatively high quality rail service. Perhaps the only
place. If you've got plenty of time and not much money, take a bus.
Otherwise, spring for the train.

--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."