Trip report Tanzania

Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:01 AM
John Macdonald

Default Trip report Tanzania

Photos and a trip report from a visit to Tanzania this July: a fortnight
on the northern circuit, a week diving at Mafia and a few days in
northern Selous.

I hope you find them of interest.

http://www.wildworldweb.co.uk/holidays/tanzania.htm

We didn't have the benefit of Art Morris or other expert photographic
advisors so I hope regular readers will not be too critical!

This was our first trip to East Africa after a number of trips to
Southern Africa. I am not going to get into a comparison just yet
except to say we will be visiting both again in the future - as often
as possible!

Oh, and I did not notice any lack of animals in the Ngorongoro crater
:-)
--
John and Lindsey Macdonald
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:01:43 +0100, John Macdonald
wrote:

http://www.wildworldweb.co.uk/holidays/tanzania.htm

John,

the photos are very good! Thanks for publishing them here.

If you want some critical comments, I find dark brown type on a
dark grey background difficult to read. How about changing the
type color to white?

The other little catch is that the forward-backward buttons jump
up and down from photo to photo (because of the varying photo
height). You could put them in a fixed position if you like.

But overall these photos are impressive, and I find the site
well designed.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:08 PM
John Macdonald

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
the photos are very good! Thanks for publishing them here.

It is always good to find someone who will look at them! Thanks.
If you want some critical comments, I find dark brown type on a
dark grey background difficult to read. How about changing the
type color to white?

It is okay on my monitor but I will look at some changes.

The other little catch is that the forward-backward buttons jump
up and down from photo to photo (because of the varying photo
height). You could put them in a fixed position if you like.

Good comment - I have made the change.
--
John and Lindsey Macdonald

Blackburn, U.K.
www.wildworldweb.co.uk
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:29 PM
Liz

In message
John Macdonald wrote:

Photos and a trip report from a visit to Tanzania this July: a fortnight
on the northern circuit, a week diving at Mafia and a few days in
northern Selous.

I hope you find them of interest.

http://www.wildworldweb.co.uk/holidays/tanzania.htm

We didn't have the benefit of Art Morris or other expert photographic
advisors

LOL!!!

so I hope regular readers will not be too critical!

Great pictures!
Nice light!
Thanks for showing your pics.

Slainte

Liz

Old October 21st, 2005, 12:13 PM
Rydale

Hi John

Nice pics and nicely laid out website.
You are clearly a very proficient photographer!

One comment - it's 'Mongooses' not 'Mongeese'!!
Common mistake :-)

We were in East Kenya this year - www.tomalin.org/bedford/kenya05/

I've also got a couple of shots from my Tarangire outing in 2003
(http://www.tomalin.org/charles/tanzania/index.htm), which match a couple of
yours ( in content if not quality?)
http://www.tomalin.org/charles/tanza...005_079Nik.JPG
http://www.tomalin.org/charles/tanza...005_039Nik.JPG

Regards

Charles Tomalin

Old October 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM
Geir

Really great pictures. Have you been post-processing them, or are they
out of the camera?
What equipment do you use?

How I'd like to go back to East Africa after seeing your pics.

Geir

[...]

No matter where you go, there you are

Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:29 PM
Rydale

Ah the 500m IS....

Worth more than my house, but (wife willing) I'd swap for it.
I've 'gone digital', which does provide some conveniences and also (on a
Canon 20D) converts my 70-200 2.8 IS into a 112-320 2.8. With the 1.4x I get
155-420 F4. Not quite up to your reach/aperture but getting there....

Your 500mm would be an 800mm F4 on the 20D - wow!

Dream on....

Charles

"John Macdonald" wrote in message
In message , Geir
writes
Really great pictures. Have you been post-processing them, or are they
out of the camera?
What equipment do you use?

How I'd like to go back to East Africa after seeing your pics.

Geir

Thanks, I want to go back every time I see them (or anyone else's) too!

They are Fuji slide film, scanned and with minimal processing such as
cropping and levels adjustment. Two have had the odd blade of grass
removed but essentially they are out of the camera.... which
incidentally is Canon with a range of lenses, most notably a 500mm IS.
--
John Macdonald

Old October 23rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
Geir

On 2005-10-22 14:29:51 +0200, "Rydale" said:

They are Fuji slide film, scanned and with minimal processing such as
cropping and levels adjustment. Two have had the odd blade of grass
removed but essentially they are out of the camera.... which
incidentally is Canon with a range of lenses, most notably a 500mm IS.
--
John Macdonald

This is not a photo group, but still: Having seen your images this is
an argument for going back to the roots, so to speak. Do you think you
would have gotten the same results with digital?

Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
John Macdonald

In message , Geir
writes
On 2005-10-22 14:29:51 +0200, "Rydale" said:

They are Fuji slide film, scanned and with minimal processing such

cropping and levels adjustment. Two have had the odd blade of grass
removed but essentially they are out of the camera.... which
incidentally is Canon with a range of lenses, most notably a 500mm IS.
--
John Macdonald

This is not a photo group, but still: Having seen your images this is
an argument for going back to the roots, so to speak. Do you think you
would have gotten the same results with digital?

I think it makes little difference, but to bring it back on topic, both
film and digital pose their own problems when it comes to travelling for
some weeks in a hot dusty environment.
For the record I should also say the underwater pictures are digital!
--
John Macdonald
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:48 PM
JohnM

In article , John Macdonald
writes
In message , Geir
writes
On 2005-10-22 14:29:51 +0200, "Rydale" said:

They are Fuji slide film, scanned and with minimal processing such

cropping and levels adjustment. Two have had the odd blade of grass
removed but essentially they are out of the camera.... which
incidentally is Canon with a range of lenses, most notably a 500mm IS.
--
John Macdonald

This is not a photo group, but still: Having seen your images this is
an argument for going back to the roots, so to speak. Do you think you
would have gotten the same results with digital?

I think it makes little difference, but to bring it back on topic, both
film and digital pose their own problems when it comes to travelling for
some weeks in a hot dusty environment.
For the record I should also say the underwater pictures are digital!

So 500mm zoom...

Yes, well, if you want bird photography. You must have had a tripod or a
stand, surely, your pix are pin-sharp.

May I add my voice to those who find your pictures excellent. The
underwater pictures are so colourful it's shocking really. And some of
your compositions like the giraffes or the buffaloes are almost as if
they're posing for you.

Have you considered submitting them to an online photo library?

--
JohnM