Shooting at Northern Illinois.

Old February 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

Default Shooting at Northern Illinois.

In message sechumlib

On 2008-02-15 11:08:49 -0500, "Jim Davis" said:

This couldn't have happened.

Which makes Markuu's "gun control" solution invalid.

Did either of you notice that it DID happen?

Congrats -- And if I'm not mistaken, you've just stumbled on the reason
that gun control isn't a solution to this particular problem.

The act was already illegal. Several steps leading up to the act were
illegal. Why would one more law on top of a set of illegal acts make
any difference?
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Feb 15, 10:55*am, DevilsPGD wrote:
In message sechumlib

On 2008-02-15 11:08:49 -0500, "Jim Davis" said:

This couldn't have happened.

Which makes Markuu's "gun control" solution invalid.

Did either of you notice that it DID happen?

Congrats -- And if I'm not mistaken, you've just stumbled on the reason
that gun control isn't a solution to this particular problem.

The act was already illegal. *Several steps leading up to the act were
illegal. *Why would one more law on top of a set of illegal acts make
any difference?

He did buy those guns legally.

By your reasoning than if we just make taking cocaine illegal, that
would make it superfluous to make manufacturing and distributing
cocaine illegal too.
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan Pollock

PeterL wrote:
On Feb 15, 7:10?am, Alan Pollock wrote:
PeterL wrote:
Thought I post this first, just to warn europeans to stay away from
northern illinois.
DEKALB, Ill. - A man dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun and
two handguns from a stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois
University on Thursday, injuring as many as 18 people, four
critically, before he killed himself, the school's president said.

Northern Illinois, because Euros get scared so easily?

No but maybe some people lack a sense of humor.

You can dish but take as well, correct?

Good. We both had a larf then. Nex
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

In

PeterL wrote:

By your reasoning than if we just make taking cocaine illegal, that
would make it superfluous to make manufacturing and distributing
cocaine illegal too.

Well, why not?

Maybe some laws should be printed in the statute books in bold print
with certain sections in italics to make them more effective.

But, you presented an interesting example; are you a drug warrior too?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:14:01 -0600, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
ti.fi...

"PeterL" kirjoitti
Thought I post this first, just to warn europeans to stay away from
northern illinois.

Well done.

DEKALB, Ill. - A man dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun and
two handguns from a stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois
University on Thursday, injuring as many as 18 people, four
critically, before he killed himself, the school's president said.

I was about to broadcast this piece of news myself. Yes, it is sad that
this happens almost everyday in the USA and so often at school. Americans
should pull themselves together (lawmakers in particular) and collect
pistols, machine guns and bazookas away from ordinary citizens. These
tools don't fit the hands of ordinary people in the first place. And when
Joe Smith blows up with hardware bought from the John J. Rambo
supermarket, many innocent people have to die for no decent reason.
Absurd!

OK, Markuu, I'll play along.

In the eyes of the anti-gun people, you have a valid point.

MY question is, how would *you* go about collecting all of the firearms from
the American public if you were in public office, and an anti-gun law were
passed?

After the Port Arthur massacre our government declared
certain weapons illegal and provided funds to buy back the
private weapons from the public. An amnesty period was
declared so that no-one would be prosecuted for producing an
unregistered or illegal weapon during that period.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...685752421.html

I couldn't see it working in the USA; apart from the
political differences, the cost would be astronomical. Not
just a bigger population but a much higher guns-per-person
ratio.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
hti.fi...

"PeterL" kirjoitti
[...]

I don't see it working here either. I don't know if you're aware, but
Illinois has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. The guy got
through easily, and there were no ligitiment gun carriers to try to stop
him.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Old February 16th, 2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On 2008-02-15 13:55:26 -0500, DevilsPGD
said:

The act was already illegal. Several steps leading up to the act were
illegal. Why would one more law on top of a set of illegal acts make
any difference?

Because the laws in existence are totally inadequate, largely because of
opposition by the NRA and other gun nuts. What we need are A LOT of
anti-gun laws, nationally as well as locally, and time for them to be in
operation for a while before we evaluate their effectiveness.

Any other questions?

Yes. How will all these laws affect the criminals? If they're not worried
about a murder charge, why should they care about possessing an illegal
firearm?

Old February 16th, 2008, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

In sechumlib
wrote:

What we need are A LOT of anti-gun laws, nationally as well as
locally, and time for them to be in operation for a while before we
evaluate their effectiveness.

Any other questions?

How about a law against murder?

Do you think that might help?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

"PeterL" kirjoitti

..
..
[...]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...since-buyback/
2006/12/13/1165685752421.html

I couldn't see it working in the USA; apart from the
political differences, the cost would be astronomical. Not
just a bigger population but a much higher guns-per-person
ratio.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia

They've tried that here. In fact it may still be in operation. It hasn't
worked though. The guns come in from the states in payment for drugs so
while law abiding people turn theirs in, the crooks are smuggling them back
across the border faster than we can get rid of them. Unfortunately,
Vancouver and Toronto are in the midst of a gang war and of course they kill
each other with guns.
--
Martha T2 Canada
1500mg. Metformin, 4mg. Avandia

Old February 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Go Fig

In article , Alan S
wrote:

MY question is, how would *you* go about collecting all of the firearms from
the American public if you were in public office, and an anti-gun law were
passed?

After the Port Arthur massacre our government declared
certain weapons illegal and provided funds to buy back the
private weapons from the public. An amnesty period was
declared so that no-one would be prosecuted for producing an
unregistered or illegal weapon during that period.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...since-buyback/
2006/12/13/1165685752421.html

Hummm... but what about the crime rate overall ?

jay
Sat Feb 16, 2008