Field, British Columbia? Is this a good location for visiting Banff Nat. Park??

Old February 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
clsmoyer

Default Field, British Columbia? Is this a good location for visiting Banff Nat. Park??

We plan to spend about 10-12 days at the end of July early Aug. in the
Canadian Rockies, visiting Banff National Park and Jasper National Park.
This will be our first visit with more visits anticipated. We would like to
find a full service cabin a little bit off the main highway ( route93 ) and
have been looking at the little community of Field, for our first stop for
maybe 3 nights. There are a number of cabins with full kitchens available
in Field.
1. Is this location close enough to the Lake Louise area and hiking
trails etc. so we won't be spending a lot of time commuting back and forth?
2. Any recommendations for cabins? There are quite a few listed but
only some of them really give you a good look at the cabins and their
condition.
We do want a kitchen and probably two bedrooms for a 3rd person
going with us.
We would then like to move further north in the direction fo Jasper
National Park and do the same in that local. Find a full service cabin for
3-4 nights.
Again any suggestions for a good location somewhat out of the main
stream of tourists but not in the back country?

Thank you for your recommendations and information. Carol in Florida

Old February 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"clsmoyer" schrieb

1. Is this location close enough to the Lake Louise area and hiking
trails etc. so we won't be spending a lot of time commuting back and
forth?

Yes, that's definitely close enough. There are some good hiking trails
closer to Field than Lake Louise as well; around Takakkaw Falls and
Emerald Lake for instance. It might be less busy there too, with Lake
Louise being such a popular site, especially for bus tours.

I've no recommendations for cabins though, since I always stay in
motels.

Again any suggestions for a good location somewhat out of the main stream
of tourists but not in the back country?

That seems difficult: You're either close to the Icefields Parkway/
Yellowhead Highway/Transcan or in the backcountry.
I'd try my luck near Grande Cache if you want to go that far
north, or between Hinton and Cadomin (but that tends to be a
bit more 'back country' again)

Jochen from Germany

Old February 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
george

On Feb 17, 6:05*pm, "clsmoyer" wrote:
[...]

Staying near Field should be fine. Although we didn't stay in any
cabins, I thought the ones at Emerald Lake looked like a nice place to
stay.

George
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"clsmoyer" wrote in message
We plan to spend about 10-12 days at the end of July early Aug. in the
Canadian Rockies, visiting Banff National Park and Jasper National Park.
This will be our first visit with more visits anticipated. We would like
to find a full service cabin a little bit off the main highway ( route93 )
and have been looking at the little community of Field, for our first
stop for maybe 3 nights. There are a number of cabins with full kitchens
available in Field.
1. Is this location close enough to the Lake Louise area and hiking
trails etc. so we won't be spending a lot of time commuting back and
forth?

Yep I stayed there three years ago and its very handy for both Lake
Louise and Yoho NP

2. Any recommendations for cabins? There are quite a few listed but
only some of them really give you a good look at the cabins and their
condition.

I stayed in the Kicking Horse Lodge but Cathedral Mountain lodges
would probably suit you better

Keith

Old February 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Valentino

On Feb 17, 9:05 am, "clsmoyer" wrote:
[...]

That's pretty good, to get mayse to see also vancouver, Maybe all
readers can also come and see my blog and participate... who knows.
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

clsmoyer wrote:

[...]

You are going to be hitting that area at a very busy tourist season. Field is
very close to Lake Louise. If you haev that much time you might want to travel
westward and see some of the other mountain ranges, as each is unique.

Old February 18th, 2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

I can only help with Jasper. We stayed at the Pine Cabins, and it's a very
nice development with a lot to do. The cabins are right along the Athabasca
river, and you'll have elk in your front yard every evening. Cabins are
configured a lot of ways, so you will find one to suit you.

I know they have a website, but no longer have the link. Price was
moderate, and location was great.

Keith