Cunard QUEEN VICTORIA going to P&O to become ARCADIA!!

Old April 5th, 2004, 02:13 PM
E.k.R.

Default Cunard QUEEN VICTORIA going to P&O to become ARCADIA!!

Could this mean that Carnival/Cunard finally figured out that a Vista Class
ship is not suitable for Cunard? Maybe they are finally seeing the big
picture? No word on *if* the "new" QUEEN VICTORIA will be an entirely new
class of ship. We only know she will be "enhanced".

Ernie

==============================
Cruise operator Carnival to restructure UK capacity

Monday April 5, 8:53 am ET

Cruise operator Carnival to restructure UK capacity
Monday April 5, 8:53 am ET

LONDON, April 5 (Reuters) - The world's biggest cruise group, Carnival
Corp/Plc (London:CCL.L - News; NYSE:CCL - News), said on Monday it would
start operating two new luxury ships over the next three years, as it
announced a restructuring of its UK capacity.

The firm said the Queen Victoria ship being built at Italy's Fincantieri
Marghera Yard for its Cunard Line brand would now be transferred to P&O
Cruises and renamed as Arcadia. The new Arcadia is scheduled to enter
service in April 2005.

It said Cunard Line had ordered an enhanced Queen Victoria, also to be built
by Fincantieri, and scheduled to enter service in January 2007.

Carnival operates 12 cruise brands in the U.S., Europe and Australia
including Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises,
Seabourn Cruise Line, Windstar Cruises, AIDA, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line,
Ocean Village, P&O Cruises, Swan Hellenic, and P&O Cruises Australia.
(reporting by Santosh Menon

Old April 5th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:13:30 -0400, "E.k.R."
wrote:

Could this mean that Carnival/Cunard finally figured out that a Vista Class
ship is not suitable for Cunard? Maybe they are finally seeing the big
picture? No word on *if* the "new" QUEEN VICTORIA will be an entirely new
class of ship. We only know she will be "enhanced".

Hi Ernie,

The "new" Queen Victoria WILL be built on the Vista Class hull.
Industry sources are reporting that she will have a larger ballroom &
more alternative dining areas than the original version had. She will
reportedly have more luxury & mini-suites. IOW, more like the popular
QM2. ;+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Oslo Dutch

Well, well, lots of changes going on here.

OK Ernie, our Mighty Royal Princess is heading to the UK. They should do a
lot of work on here and create more intimate lounge spaces. That's what the
British public likes When I was on the Royal, Ernie ;-) ,as a crew member in
1989 we were together in the port of Madeira with S.S. Canberra. The Brits
did not like the Royal due to lack of lounges. The old Arcadia (ex Star
Princess) suffered the same problem. And I even felt it too when I cruised
on her in 2000.
Ex Princesses were never that popular with regular P&O Cruisers as they are
simply considered to be too American and glitzy. So no surprise Sea Princess
is going back. Both Adonia and Oceana are not getting too good reviews right
now.

As far as Queen Victoria concerned. Why don't they drop this Queen name and
just name here Mauretania or something. This whole Queen thing is getting
way too overrated. It also might be reason that Carnival wants to use the
new ship for translatlantic crossings too. Right now I can't see a Vista
class doing that on a regular basis.

Reint

Old April 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM
E.k.R.

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message

Hi Ernie,

The "new" Queen Victoria WILL be built on the Vista Class hull.
Industry sources are reporting that she will have a larger ballroom &
more alternative dining areas than the original version had. She will
reportedly have more luxury & mini-suites. IOW, more like the popular
QM2. ;+)

This is exactly as I speculated. The "new" QV will not be a new design at
all, just another rehashed Vista Class design.

My guess is that P&O needed the extra tonnage more than Cunard and Carnival
Corp. also realized P&O could achieve higher short term profits with the
ship. I find it doubtful it had anything to do with the original QV design
as I much as I would like to believe it.

So now we will have a Spirit/Vista class under the following brands:
Costa
Holland America
Carnival
P&O
Cunard

Only a couple brands left and this basic ship design will have
single-handedly infiltrated all the Carnival brands which Carnival Corp.
always boasts about keeping autonomous.

Who says one size doesn't fit all??

Ernie

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:04 PM
E.k.R.

"Oslo Dutch" wrote in message
Well, well, lots of changes going on here.

OK Ernie, our Mighty Royal Princess is heading to the UK. They should do a
lot of work on here and create more intimate lounge spaces. That's what

the
British public likes When I was on the Royal, Ernie ;-) ,as a crew member

in
1989 we were together in the port of Madeira with S.S. Canberra. The Brits
did not like the Royal due to lack of lounges. The old Arcadia (ex Star
Princess) suffered the same problem. And I even felt it too when I cruised
on her in 2000.

Reint

Too funny Reint! No one knows about OTR better than you!

I think RP has a lot of potential. If P&O were to perform a substantial
refit she could end up an absolutely splendid ship. As she is now, she is
quite outdated for the American market, and as you stated, too broken up
enough on the interior for British tastes.

Ernie - heading your way and leaving for Rome tomorrow embarking on
NORWEGIAN DREAM.

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:47 PM
E.k.R.

"CupCaked" wrote in message

Is it time already?!

Bon voyage! I'd be very interested in your opinions of this ship when
you return, Ernie.

Karen

Thanks Karen! I'm equally interested to hear all about your QM2 experience.

Talk to you when I get back.

Best,
Ernie

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:39:27 GMT, (CupCaked)
wrote:

Ooh, is she considered "popular" already, Ray? ;-)

Hi Karen,

With her advanced sales, she is at least to the CCL
beancounters. vbg

Old April 5th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:04:53 -0400, "E.k.R."
wrote:

Ernie - heading your way and leaving for Rome tomorrow embarking on
NORWEGIAN DREAM.

Lucky Ducky.