Capetown/Port Elizabeth Must See

Old January 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Festive Festive is offline
Member

Question Capetown/Port Elizabeth Must See

Hi
We'll be in Capetown July/August 05. Driving for 13 days any suggestions for what we should definitely see when there. Also what's the weather like then?
Old January 15th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Dave Patterson

Festive wrote:

Hi
We'll be in Capetown July/August 05. Driving for 13 days any
suggestions for what we should definitely see when there.

The basic things I'm sure you know: Cape of Good Hope, the
Winelands, Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned
for many years. But self-drive tours of these (not the island, of course)
will require some preparation. If you are in the US, get in touch with
the Tourism office in the Embassy or one of the Consulates and
have them send you information specific to the southern part
of the country.

I spend a lot of time (few months each year) near a little town,
Gansbaai. It is the location where you can easily and safely go
out and be in the water with Great White Sharks.
http://www.gansbaai.net (links to shark diving operators)
Good place to stay would be De Kelders B&B, looking right
out on the whales that live there also, in July & August:
http://www.dekelders.co.za/
And also go out on the Ivanhoe, the only boat licensed to get
close to the whales:
http://www.whaleviewing.co.za/

Here's a web site that tells you more about the area in general..
and this is between Cape Town & Port Elizabeth
http://www.southernmost.co.za/southe...me/templ_w.asp

And if you just want to go crazy doing research, check this out:
http://www.cbel.com/south_africa/
712 web sites about travel in South Africa!

Also what's
the weather like then?

Likely to be quite chilly, windy, certainly some rainy days.
It's the heart of winter, and all the things you hear about
the "Mediterranean climate" rarely make you think that
the Mediterranean has a winter, also.
But don't think it's like that all the time.
You will see sunny and mild days as well. I would say
be prepared with light rain jackets and a sweater.
The nights, though, will probably be chilly enough that
you won't do much outside at night.

Old January 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Incognito

In article , Dave Patterson
wrote:

Festive wrote:
Also what's
the weather like then?

Likely to be quite chilly, windy, certainly some rainy days.
The nights, though, will probably be chilly enough that
you won't do much outside at night.

Maybe not much inside but crawl into a bed with tons of covers. We
(from So. California) were unaware that indoor space heating has not yet
become wide spread in So. Africa. They told us the winter is too short,
only 2 months, to be worth the costs.

In daytime, bundle up, carry an umbrella, and enjoy Capetown area.
There is a large, impoverished population component which naturally
spawns desperate people. When folks there tell you when/where to be
careful, listen. Exactly as if you were visiting Los Angeles. ---Ken

Old January 16th, 2005, 11:16 AM
gardkarlsen

Hi

Check www.weatherbase.com for weather stats. Cape Town is a beautiful
city. Must sees are Table Mountain, Robben Island, The cape point, a trip
to the Stellenbosch area to taste some wine etc. I have posted a few
pictures and some information on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe
you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway

Old January 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Incognito

In article , Dave Patterson
wrote:

My home has no heating nor air conditioning - and neither
does the home of anyone I know! We use the fireplace and
an electric heater when it's cold. And a down comforter on
the bed.

And in one home we started each night with our feet on a
fresh hot water bottle. It helped some, but Johannesburg winter
caused us to wear just about all the clothes we brought to bed.
(We do travel light, one easy-to-carry medium suitcase each.)

Did anyone mention The Boulders? And if you don't see enough penguins
there (you will) the Aquarium at the wharf in Capetown is tops.
---Ken
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Odysseus

My home has no heating nor air conditioning - and neither
does the home of anyone I know! We use the fireplace and
an electric heater when it's cold. And a down comforter on
the bed.

And in one home we started each night with our feet on a
fresh hot water bottle. It helped some, but Johannesburg winter
caused us to wear just about all the clothes we brought to bed.
(We do travel light, one easy-to-carry medium suitcase each.)

The place I live in the US has wide climate variations. Normal
temperature ranges for a season are -19C to 35C. Our homes have
heating, cooling, and insulation to cope with that and keep
the interior temperature at 21C in all rooms .

I recently had a conversation with a coworker about this. It was in
regard to relatives of hers visiting from California. The relative
commented about how comfortable our homes are. I had never thought
of it being more comfortable living here (as long as you don't go
outside).