Questions about possible trip to Banff area / national parks/ driving in Alberta/BC

Old February 13th, 2004, 10:20 PM

Default Questions about possible trip to Banff area / national parks/ driving in Alberta/BC

Charles M. Kozierok wrote:

Third and most important: the airfares to Calgary from my area (near
Albany) are hideously expensive. However, Southwest is running a seat
sale and they fly to Spokane. Going that route would save us over $1000.

We would then need to drive from Spokane up to Banff. This seems to
involve either looping through Montana -- a very long drive -- or taking
rather twisty highways through the mountains of Idaho, BC and Alberta.

You can easily get from Spokane, via Bonner's Ferry and Cranbrook BC, to
Radium Hot Springs in a day's drive. Once you're out of downtown
Spokane it's a scenic drive the whole way.

Old February 13th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Either way you will enjoy the drive. Waterton Glacier NP (both countries)
is beautiful, as is the entire geographic area. If you decide to go up
through BC, you can visit the headwaters of the Columbia River, too.

We did this just a few years ago, and except for Calgary and Banff, we
rented cabins. I don't know that it saved us any real dollars, but it was
more fun than hotels. We would have saved more if we cooked on our own, but
we only did that once.

We had fun everywhere, and no hassles on the trip. Looking back, though,
Banff is more like a small city, complete with KFC, and we enjoyed just
about everywhere else more, but that's only us.

As for July, watch the sky, because NEXT years snow clouds may be building
up. Otherwise, only worry about crowds.

Old February 14th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Bill Hilton

If you drive straight up thru Cranbrook I'd recommend staying the first night
near Radium Hot Springs, the pool is wonderful and I'm sure your kids would
enjoy it.
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Grey McGown

I personally would go to Waterton/Glacier and skip Banff. Lake Louise area
is much less crowded, Jasper is even better & the drive in between is great.
"Charles M. Kozierok" wrote in message
In article , wrote:
} You can easily get from Spokane, via Bonner's Ferry and Cranbrook BC, to
} Radium Hot Springs in a day's drive. Once you're out of downtown
} Spokane it's a scenic drive the whole way.

Thanks. Are the roads in good shape and fairly easy to drive, or are
they difficult?

Appreciate the help.

peace,

-*-