need advice on travel in western US or Canada

Old March 28th, 2004, 04:24 AM
ss

Default need advice on travel in western US or Canada

My husband and I are looking for some ideas for a trip out west.
We're really open as far as destination. We're familiar with the
popular US parks, destinations but we're practically clueless on what
Canada has to offer. We would prefer an uncrowded place; plenty of
wilderness; opportunities for hiking, fishing, canoeing, wildlife
viewing, beautiful scenery; and preferably close to a major airport so
we wouldn't necessarily have to rent a car. We'd like to be as
economical as possible but are unable to camp because we'll be flying.
We would love to know what the locals do instead of what all the
tourists do, the secret places that you really have to dig to find.
But we're not picky or anything!! Any help would be greatly
appreciated!
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Gord

"ss" wrote in message
om...
My husband and I are looking for some ideas for a trip out west.
We're really open as far as destination. We're familiar with the
popular US parks, destinations but we're practically clueless on what
Canada has to offer. We would prefer an uncrowded place; plenty of
wilderness; opportunities for hiking, fishing, canoeing, wildlife
viewing, beautiful scenery; and preferably close to a major airport so
we wouldn't necessarily have to rent a car. We'd like to be as
economical as possible but are unable to camp because we'll be flying.
We would love to know what the locals do instead of what all the
tourists do, the secret places that you really have to dig to find.
But we're not picky or anything!! Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Don't rent a car, go to a Canadian Tire store and buy a couple of bikes if
you are going to stay in a city or near a city for any length of time.

What you ask is rather difficult because the major airports are usually
associated with intense urban areas.

My question is why fly? You must really check out Greyhound's monthly pass
for North America. Flying sometimes sucks because you can't get the feel for
the continent at 30,000 feet. The time pass is great because you can get to
those quieter places.

The baggage limit is such that you can carry a tent and limited creature
comforts. Using the bus would allow you to get to those "secret" Canadian
places.

Since you put the criteria on "major" airports and the feeling of
spaciousness. Halifax, Ottawa, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg,
Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, and Victoria will give you that
feeling of spaciousness and good scenery. The bus however will let you get
to places in the west like: Drumheller, Maple Creek and the Cypress Hills,
Brandon, Minnedosa, Yorkton, Banff, Prince George, Quesnel, Williams Lake,
Pincher Creek, Medicine Hat, good grief the list is almost endless.

The skill of using the bus to travel is keep the day's trips short. The
longest schedule gap on the transcontinental route is about 12 hours each
way between buses.

My favorite kick back road place with nice scenery and relaxed life style is
a little town 40 minutes east of Sault Ste Marie. Its on the north shore of
Lake Huron, has little nick knack places, good affordable motels, and really
good restaurants. It has all the scenery and fresh air. You'll be relaxed
and defused in only a couple of days. The little town is called Bruce Mines.

Another favorite is Montreal River. The scenery is spectacular but that is
only bus accessible. Going west from there, there is the City of Thunder
Bay.

Now Thunder Bay is blessed with some spectacular scenery for any city east
of the Rockies. It is where the bike idea comes in handy because it is on
the edge of the wilderness and cycling would allow you to be into relative
wilderness quickly. You can also get motels at the rather happy rate of
$50.00 to $70.00, in Canadian funds.

As for the Rockies, I believe you still can fly into Prince George and or
Quesnel. I rather like Kelowna. I also suggest that you get across to
Vancouver Island.

You could break the mould and try flying to Inuvik or White horse. I have
been to Tuktoyatuk on the edge of forever. A memorable place and rather
enjoyable. Hay River would be an interesting trip. Sandspit on the Queen
Charlottes is also a flight destination but I would check on the access to
the marine park there upon arrival.

Other scheduled flights are into Cranbrook, Kamloops, Yellowknife, Iqualiut.
Iqualiut is the revised name for Frobisher Bay. Hotel accommodations might
be another problem but it is on the edge of the Arctic. A unique travel
destination for sure.

Old March 28th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Craig

"ss" wrote...
My husband and I are looking for some ideas for a trip out west.
We're really open as far as destination. We're familiar with the
popular US parks, destinations but we're practically clueless on what
Canada has to offer. We would prefer an uncrowded place; plenty of
wilderness; opportunities for hiking, fishing, canoeing, wildlife
viewing, beautiful scenery; and preferably close to a major airport so
we wouldn't necessarily have to rent a car. We'd like to be as
economical as possible but are unable to camp because we'll be flying.
We would love to know what the locals do instead of what all the
tourists do, the secret places that you really have to dig to find.
But we're not picky or anything!! Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Although you would need wheels, how about a flight to Whitehorse, Yukon?
From there, you could plan a peaceful stay in Atlin BC, Mayo/Keno YT, Dawson
YT and even have the chance to travel the Dempster Hwy, Top Of The World,
etc. It'd just be a short hop down to Skagway and Haines Alaska, too.

Craig

Old March 29th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:07:20 GMT in rec.travel.usa-canada,
"Craig" wrote:

Although you would need wheels, how about a flight to Whitehorse, Yukon?
From there, you could plan a peaceful stay in Atlin BC, Mayo/Keno YT, Dawson
YT and even have the chance to travel the Dempster Hwy, Top Of The World,
etc. It'd just be a short hop down to Skagway and Haines Alaska, too.

and then you can board the new fast ferry fairweather (leaving
the car behind) and be in juneau in 4 hours. (it just arrived
from the shipyard for tests this weekend).