Family suitable hotel in NYC

Old September 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Darb80

Default Family suitable hotel in NYC

We are travelling to NY with a family of two adults and three children.
Can anyone advise of a good place for us to stay - near Broadway and not too
expensive (if there is such a place).

Thanks

Stephen

Old September 7th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Darb80" wrote in message
We are travelling to NY with a family of two adults and three children.
Can anyone advise of a good place for us to stay - near Broadway and not

too
expensive (if there is such a place).

What's too expensive? Last summer we found a deal at Trump Int'l Towers for
a 1 bdr suite that included a kitchenette and two bathrooms (kids slept on a
pull out in the living room) for $550 a night. It was supposed to be city
views, but was upgraded to park view. Couldn't have been a better location,
on Columbus Circle (where Broadway ends at Central Park) You might check
online and see what special offers are out there.

If you are booking a ways in advance I know you can get apartments that are
rented by the week, or even by the day.

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Alan S

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:47:53 GMT, "Cathy Kearns"
wrote:

"Darb80" wrote in message
We are travelling to NY with a family of two adults and three children.
Can anyone advise of a good place for us to stay - near Broadway and not

too
expensive (if there is such a place).

What's too expensive? Last summer we found a deal at Trump Int'l Towers for
a 1 bdr suite that included a kitchenette and two bathrooms (kids slept on a
pull out in the living room) for $550 a night. It was supposed to be city
views, but was upgraded to park view. Couldn't have been a better location,
on Columbus Circle (where Broadway ends at Central Park) You might check
online and see what special offers are out there.

If you are booking a ways in advance I know you can get apartments that are
rented by the week, or even by the day.

I can't speak for the OP - but for me, US$550 per night is
in the realms of fantasy. I'd expect each adult and child to
have a personal maid or butler at that price:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Cathy Kearns

wrote:

"Darb80" wrote in message
[...]

And that is the great thing about the Trump Tower, you treated very well.
Rack rate on those accomodations are around twice that.

Old September 8th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Pan

wrote:

"Darb80" wrote in message
We are travelling to NY with a family of two adults and three children.
Can anyone advise of a good place for us to stay - near Broadway and not

too
expensive (if there is such a place).

What's too expensive?

And what does good mean to you?

And what's "near Broadway" (I suppose that would mean near the Theater
District, but how near)?

And why is it important for you to stay there, instead of staying
elsewhere and taking the subway to Times Square?

Sounds like you're likely to need one double and one triple room.
Maybe your best bet is to stay at a YMCA, and not in Midtown. But
then, that might not qualify as "good," depending on what luxuries you
want.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:36 AM
SusieQ

Try affinia.com for nice suites with kitchens in various Manhattan
locations

Old September 8th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Try the Courtyard by marriot at Seacaucus, only 15 minutes by bus to
the station,
We paid 134US for one room with 2 queen beds and a portable crib for
the baby, I hhave also 3 kids.
the bus is on the corner of the hotel,

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Skookum

And how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

C'mon the question is not that arcane. It would help if the meaning of
"too expensive" was narrowed to a specific range but it is quite
reasonable to want to stay in the Times Square area (which is a pretty
comprehensible if not precisely definable area) which is exactly what I
am looking for with an dentically sized family for next April. Why do
that instead of commuting? If you have a covey of pre-teens you
wouldn't/shouldn't have to ask. It's a matter of both convenience -
e.g. being able to slip back to the hotel easily if someone gets tired,
fussy or won't use a public bathroom - and also the pure magic. For
kids to be able to walk out of their room directly into the neon
wonderland of Times Square is a very different experience from having
to travel in from the 'burbs.

Old September 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Linda -

you don't have to travel from the 'burbs to experience the "magic"
of NYC

you do pay $$$ for that "magic" if you want to stay in Times Square

the Times Square aka Broadway area isn't the only area in NYC
the Upper West Side is quite nice
if I had enough $$$ to live in Manhattan that's where I would live

do a little research by reading the guidebooks is a good first step
to determining the pros/cons of the various Manhattan neighborhoods

Old September 9th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Skookum

Of course there are many fine districts but for those of us coming from
far away, nothing quite matches the glitter and thrill of the great
White Way. After we bring our kids once to stay in the Times Square
district, we'll no doubt come back and try some other locales -
Greenwich Viillage, Upper east or west, Gramercy etc. It's all pretty
special but like that mouthwash (or was it dandruff) commercial used to
say, you only get one chance to make a first impression.