South Africa books

Old October 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Walter N. Smith

Default South Africa books

I am getting into active research for a possible trip to South Africa.
I am primarily interested in observing wildlife (the big five, etc.) I
have purchased Frommer's South Africa and Fodor's South Africa. Are
there other good books that will help me decide where to go and when?
Any advice from the online experienced will be welcome.

Walt
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Hi Walt,

Kruger National Park is always top of the list for viewing. (If you
have the budget, the parks abutting the Kruger (Mala Mala, Londolozi
etc. are also an excellent choice)

Have a look at SA National Parks website at: http://www.sanparks.co.za
for info about Kruger and other parks. Look into the possibility of
doing a walking tour of Kruger (the waiting list is quite long, so you
need to book early). If that's your bent, it will be one of the most
memorable things you ever do :-)

Remember that winter months offer better viewing than summer months.
The best time of the year is from May to September. December/January
is the hottest time of the year, and game viewing can be very
uncomfortable and frustrating.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to e-mail me. I'm
not associated with the tourism or hospitallity industry in any way,
so there's no strings attached ;-)

Cheers,
Marc

Old October 20th, 2006, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
sandy58

Walter N. Smith wrote:
I am getting into active research for a possible trip to South Africa.
I am primarily interested in observing wildlife (the big five, etc.) I
have purchased Frommer's South Africa and Fodor's South Africa. Are
there other good books that will help me decide where to go and when?
Any advice from the online experienced will be welcome.

Walt

Hi, Walt. I have a book by Deanna Swaney published in 1995 (so not up
to date politically) covering Zimbabwe, Botswana & Namibia. It covers
everything from food, animals, game & even snakebite. It has
illustrations of various places, plants etc. I lived in southern Africa
for over 35 years and loved every minute of it. Namibia is, at present,
the most stable country crime-wise but there is no "crime-free safe"
area in Africa. I return to Namibia every year & stay in Swakopmund,
the only real "resort" on the Atlantic ocean in Namibia. Very
reasonable (cheap) accommodation with security fence etc. and the
starting point for the safari tours.
Well worth an unforgetable visit, I can assure you. To the north is the
Skeleton Coast heading for Angola & south the Diamond Coast going south
to South Africa. South Africa is NOT a place to visit for the nervous.
(log on to Neil Watson's site here for daily news & be prepared to be
shocked regardless where you are from.
http://www.crimexposouthafrica.org/
I left South Africa in 1992 as Nelson Mandela was due for release &
don't regret it one bit.
I was in Rhodesia during the "civil war" and have never been in a more
friendly country in my life even THEN. But Zimbabwe, where my wife is
from, is just the pits. The money, Zim$, is devalued so much that I'm
sure they weigh it rather than count it. :-) Internal air travel within
southern Africa is very cheap & flights to Victoria Falls etc can be
had from Swakopmund.
Namibia used to be German West Africa & the buildings, street names and
beer still reflect that. (There is a brewery in the centre of town & a
beerfest frequently.) Sorry for this ramble but I could go on for ever
about Africa. I am a construction engineer who had a ball in Africa and
getting paid to enjoy it. :-) Sadly, not a lot of work in my line for
Whites now.
Good luck and enjoy your trips where-ever you decide to go. Just log on
to Neil's website before you think of South Africa.
ATB
Sandy in Scotland

Old October 20th, 2006, 09:21 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On 19 Oct 2006 23:16:53 -0700, "sandy58" wrote:

Hi, Walt. I have a book by Deanna Swaney published in 1995 (so not up
to date politically) covering Zimbabwe, Botswana & Namibia.

Not only outdated politically, but also outdated regarding facilities,
pricing, attractions, etc. etc. etc. Essentially a useless book to
purchase.

SNIP
but there is no "crime-free safe"
area in Africa.

Insofar as any place on earth being perfectly safe, then I guess
you're correct, however making a sweeping statement like this exposes
your perspective of Africa and Africans. There are many places in
Africa that are as safe, if not safer, than European countries,
including Scotland.

SNIP
Well worth an unforgetable visit, I can assure you.

That's one thing I can't disagree with you on.

SNIP
(log on to Neil Watson's site here for daily news & be prepared to be
shocked regardless where you are from.
http://www.crimexposouthafrica.org/

Have a look at http://www.sagoodnews.co.za for another side of the
coin.

I left South Africa in 1992 as Nelson Mandela was due for release &
don't regret it one bit.

Nelson Mandela was released on February 11 1990, two years before you
claim you left the country. Are you generally confused, or was this a
typo? For the record, I also don't regret the fact that you left.

SNIP
Sadly, not a lot of work in my line for
Whites now.

Perhaps it's your line of work you should blame, not the colour of
your skin?

Good luck and enjoy your trips where-ever you decide to go. Just log on
to Neil's website before you think of South Africa.

By all means Walt, please log onto his website. Just remember that
Watson has a specific agenda that he pushes. I'm not blind to the
unacceptably high levels of crime in South Africa, after all, I do
live here, and I am peripherally involved with the safety and security
industry here.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
sandy58

Marc Lurie wrote:
[...]

Oh, dear, Marc. Who's wee feathers have I ruffled now?
You CAN be quite a nasty laddie, can't you?
I reckon you have more concern for your bank account than
your concern for for the tourists.
That site you posted HAS to be pro-South Africa, Marc.
You & everyone with half a brain know that the media has been
"got at" as far as publishing any word that mentions crime.

Watson has a specific agenda that he pushes. I'm not blind to the
unacceptably high levels of crime in South Africa, after all, I do
live here, and I am peripherally involved with the safety and security
industry here.

Of COURSE Neil watson is pushing a "specific agenda", ol' son. He wants
have genuine law & order in SA. Not the mockery it is now.
Can even YOU imagine the wholesale mayhem greeting the visiting fans if
the World Cup
WAS (God forbid) hosted by South Africa? "Lambs to the slaughter"
springs to mind)
Now just how "peripherally involved" are you? Putting up an new
razorwire
12 foot high, electrified security fence around your property? Buying
black
market firearms (a MUST.... as you are not allowed to legally OWN one),
CCTV cams
which would be a waste of money as the police don't look at the
recordings
anyway? IF they evn APPEAR on the scene!!!
But if you are SELLING security THEN you must be making a killing
(OOPS! No pun intended, I'm SURE!) g

There are many places in
Africa that are as safe, if not safer, than European countries,
including Scotland.

Where would you suggest in South Africa that could possibly safer
than Scotland?:-)
Oh, yes, Robben Island.....now that it's empty. sorry, I forgot about
that.
Now, pull your neck in, ou Marc. I love South Africa. Just one thing
wrong there.
Wrong guys in charge. will you at least agree with me there? I promise
I won't tell
the Govmunt what you answer. Honest. :-)
Good luck with your fencing & guns, Marc.

Old October 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On 20 Oct 2006 03:33:09 -0700, "sandy58" wrote:

Oh, dear, Marc. Who's wee feathers have I ruffled now?
You CAN be quite a nasty laddie, can't you?

Sandy, in my previous posts I have never treated you like a moron or a
child, but as an adult with an opposing viewpoint. Please be so kind
as to afford me the same respect.

I reckon you have more concern for your bank account than
your concern for for the tourists.

I take the strongest exception to this comment. I make no money
whatsoever from the tourism or hospitallity industry. What I do know
is that tourism has surpassed gold in importance for the economy of
this country, and that the only way that crime, unemployement and
poverty can be addressed is by growing the economy of the country. My
main concern in this regard is that tourists should visit the country,
be safe, and have a great time here.

SNIP

Of COURSE Neil watson is pushing a "specific agenda", ol' son. He wants
have genuine law & order in SA.

Not so. Watson would like to see a return to the good ol' days of
apartheid.

Can even YOU imagine the wholesale mayhem greeting the visiting fans if
the World Cup
WAS (God forbid) hosted by South Africa? "Lambs to the slaughter"
springs to mind)

Time will tell Sandy, old cock. In August 2010 the FIFA World Cup will
be over. How about a wager? If it is not held in South Africa or is
an unmittigated failure I'm willing to make a public promise to host a
website that proclaims that I was wrong, and that you and Mr. Watson
were right. I will publicly hang my head in shame, and will probably
leave South Africa. But, if it is held in South Africa and is
generalkly hailed as a success, will you do the same, and fall upon
your metaphoric sword?

Now just how "peripherally involved" are you?

I sell two-way radio equipment, and occasionally sell them to security
companies.
SNIP

Buying
black
market firearms (a MUST.... as you are not allowed to legally OWN one),

Not true at all... I do own 4 firearms, all legal, and all licensed.

SNIP
There are many places in
Africa that are as safe, if not safer, than European countries,
including Scotland.

Where would you suggest in South Africa that could possibly safer
than Scotland?:-)

Sandy, you started this particular thread by mentioning that nowhere
in Africa was safe. You didn't refer to South Africa specifically.

However, if you really want to look at just South Africa, here's a
short quote from The Times, September 2005 "The study, based on
telephone interviews with victims of crime in 21 countries, found that
more than 2,000 Scots were attacked every week, almost ten times the
official police figures. They include non-sexual crimes of violence
and serious assaults. Violent crime has doubled in Scotland over the
past 20 years and levels, per head of population, are now comparable
with cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg and Tbilisi."

I can also absolutely guarantee that I would be safer at the V&A
Waterfront in Cape Town than I would be at Custom House Quay in
Glasgow (unless it's been recently renovated).

SNIP
Just one thing
wrong there.
Wrong guys in charge.

No disagreement from this side. but that's a political reality that I
have to make the most of.
I promise
I won't tell
the Govmunt what you answer. Honest. :-)

You're welcome to tell them. I live in a free country now. Up until 12
years ago I was too afraid to speak out in opposition to the apartheid
government, and I NEVER want to see my country return to that tyranny.

Now about the wager...
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
sandy58

Marc Lurie wrote:
[...]

Marc, as far as
However, if you really want to look at just South Africa, here's a

short quote from The Times, September 2005 "The study, based on
telephone interviews with victims of crime in 21 countries, found that
more than 2,000 Scots were attacked every week, almost ten times the
official police figures. They include non-sexual crimes of violence
and serious assaults. Violent crime has doubled in Scotland over the
past 20 years and levels, per head of population, are now comparable
with cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg and Tbilisi."

the "statistics" of my beloved Scotland (Glasgow, me.) you have given,
I would seriously question the accuracy of that figure! "2,000" per
week
is by FAR too small a number. That would have been ONE PUB ALONE on
a Friday night during a "friendly discussion" about "fitba". After all,
Marc,
what's a few pints WITHOUT a good "barney" after? :-)

Now to get to the "deal of the century".

Time will tell Sandy, old cock. In August 2010 the FIFA World Cup will

be over. How about a wager? If it is not held in South Africa or is
an unmittigated failure I'm willing to make a public promise to host a
website that proclaims that I was wrong, and that you and Mr. Watson
were right. I will publicly hang my head in shame, and will probably
leave South Africa. But, if it is held in South Africa and is
generalkly hailed as a success, will you do the same, and fall upon
your metaphoric sword?

Most certainly accepted, Marc.....on BOTH counts. But what are you
going to do about "honest media reports" concerning the crime DURING
the great event (IF it is given to RSA!)? :-)
BTW, I'll go even further, Marc. I will pre-print my abject apologies
here and now....as 2010 is a long way off and being of (fairly sound
mind
and body NOW) and being a bit advanced in years, who knows WHAT may
occur
in the interim! :-) How's THAT for a good Glasgow bargain, laddie. :-)

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
Sandy K hereby apologies MOST profusely to Marc Lurie for having the
blind audacity
to question his faith in the awarding of the World Cup 2010 the venue
to South Africa.
I will, therefore, forever "haud ma wheesht" (keep me gob shut).
(This apology only valid after the World cup 2010) :-)
Good luck, Marc.
sandy58

Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Sandy, in your posts regarding this thread, you have been patronising
and condescending towards me. I do not appreciate this at all.

You made many allegations, many of which I refuted in a calm and
rational manner. For example, you challenged me to disagree with some
of Mr. Watson's claims. I did exactly that, and provided you with
information showing that Watson had actually falsified information.

I then also offered a wager which I meant in all seriousness. Your
reaction is frivolous, sarcastic and absolutely devoid of sincerity.

Here's the deal:

1) The FIFA World Cup has been awarded to South Africa for 2010. I
fully expect the event to take place in South Africa, and I expect it
to be a general success. By "general success" I mean that FIFA will be
satisfied with the event, and that, in general, the event will be
succesful.

2) I am not so naive as to believe that South Africa will host a
"perfect" world cup. There's no such thing as a "perfect" event of
this nature.
a) Even Germany, who hosted the most "perfect" world cup ever, had
some problems with ticket fraud, racism, hooliganism, and crime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FI...crime_concerns
b) The "generally succesful" Atlanta Olympics were marred by traffic
problems and a bomb explosion.
c) The 2002 FIFA world cup was "generally sucessful" in spite of
enormous logistical and managerial problems caused by the co-hosting
of the event.
d) Yes, I expect that there will be some criminal activity during the
event. Yes, I do expect that some fans will get mugged. Yes, I do
expect that some fan will be kniffed in the parking lot of some sleazy
brothel. Yes, there will be logistical issues, and yes, there will be
administrative issues. What I do not expect is total chaos and
disorganisation.

3) What I do expect is a uniquely African world cup, with a vibrancy
and spontenaity that a country like Germany could never produce. If,
after the event, FIFA declares the event as "generally succesful",
then that's enough for me.

4) You voiced some concern about the bona-fides of the reports on
crime during the event. Remember that the attention of the entire
world's media will be focussed on South Africa for a few weeks. CNN,
BBC, SKY, RAI,RFI, and all the other three-letter-acronyms will be
here in their droves. There will be no way for any news to go
unreported.

5)
a) I expect that stadia will be in a suitable state for the games.
b) I expect that the IT networks will be in place and will function
adequately.
c) I expect that the broadcasting and televising of the event will be
to the highest of world standards.
d) I expect that there will be very few accomodation problems, and
that the VAST majority of visitors/fans will have a fantastic world
cup.

I undertook, if the 2010 World Cup is not held in South Africa, or if
it is held here and it's a total, unmitigated disaster, that I would
host an international website stating that I was wrong, and that I was
naive not to see that Africans are incapable of organising anything
properly. I also mentioned that, should this happen, I would probably
have to leave the country of my birth which would be one of the most
devestating things that I can conceive of.

In your response to my wager, you offer a flippant "apology", and
nothing more. I would expect, that at the least, you would match my
wager, and offer to host a website that congratulates South Africans
on hosting a sucessful World Cup, and wishing us all the best for
future events.

I'm prepared to put my head on the block. What about you?