new york-niagara

Old October 14th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Pan

Default new york-niagara

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:50:06 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

Pan wrote:

Note that the Falls are likely to be substantially frozen in December,
and Niagara Falls is likely to be quite cold (high temperatures below
freezing). Snow will almost definitely be on the ground. But if you
don't mind all of that, go anyway. I saw the Falls one February and
enjoyed the experience.

The falls do not freeze. As far as I know, they never freeze.

No, not completely. I said "substantially frozen." I was there during
a sustained cold spell, and I think the volume of water coming through
the falls was reduced to 1/3 or by 1/3; sorry I can't remember which
figure was given by those in the know.

Last year we had record cold and a seemingly endless cold snap, but the falls never
came close to freezing. During the coldest parts of the winter there is an ice bridge in the river below the falls.

When I was there that February, I could see the top of the falls
themselves that had large sheets of solid ice on them, though of
course there was still a good deal of liquid water.

Living in the area and spending
a lot of time working around the falls, I can tell you that mid winter is one of the best times to see the falls. This part of the country does not
get a lot of snow,

[snip]

Huh? Niagara Falls doesn't get much snow????

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:48 PM
John Ramsay

Miguel Cruz wrote:

the boss wrote:
I'm traveling to new york in December and am thinking about visiting
the niagara fall as well. Is it possible to fly from new york to
niagara ? I thought about taking the train but it takes 7 hours. Any
advice is most welcome.

Try flying JetBlue to Buffalo.

miguel

But you also have to factor in getting to Niagara Falls
from Buffalo Airport.

Not easy via public transportation. You have to wait and catch
the bus to the downtown Buffalo Terminal, then catch two buses to
Niagara Falls. Then do it again on the return trip.

Original poster should check the Buffalo Airport web page. Click on
Ground Transportation for limos and shuttles.
Old October 15th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Miguel Cruz

John Ramsay wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Try flying JetBlue to Buffalo.

But you also have to factor in getting to Niagara Falls from Buffalo
Airport.

My typical approach is to head out to the curb and offer to split a cab with
someone else touristy-looking. Twice in a row now it's been Japanese girls,
for some reason.

miguel
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:04 AM
the boss

Originally posted by John Ramsay

Miguel Cruz wrote:

the boss wrote:

I'm traveling to new york in December and am thinking about

visiting

the niagara fall as well. Is it possible to fly from new york

niagara ? I thought about taking the train but it takes 7

hours. Any

advice is most welcome.

Try flying JetBlue to Buffalo.

miguel

But you also have to factor in getting to Niagara Falls

from Buffalo Airport.

Not easy via public transportation. You have to wait and catch

the bus to the downtown Buffalo Terminal, then catch two buses to

Niagara Falls. Then do it again on the return trip.

Original poster should check the Buffalo Airport web page. Click on

Ground Transportation for limos and shuttles.

First of all I must say thanks for all the replies. Great site.

Any idea how much a taxi would cost from buffalo to the Cananidan side
of the falls ?

I can't believe I really going to do this as I live in Tenerife where
the coldest it gets is around the 60 mark.

Old October 16th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Miguel Cruz

the boss wrote:
Any idea how much a taxi would cost from buffalo to the Cananidan side
of the falls ?

This is a vague recollection, and I believe others can provide better
details, but I think it's about $40 to the American side. Last couple times
the cab driver hasn't wanted to go to the other side (whether for
immigration reasons or just because of the long car queue I'm not sure). No
problem as it's a quick walk over the bridge.

miguel
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Dave Smith

Miguel Cruz wrote:

This is a vague recollection, and I believe others can provide better
details, but I think it's about $40 to the American side. Last couple times
the cab driver hasn't wanted to go to the other side (whether for
immigration reasons or just because of the long car queue I'm not sure). No
problem as it's a quick walk over the bridge.

It's likely the wait to get through customs. He may not mind on the way over
since the meter is ticking, but then he gets the same wait or longer going back
over the bridge empty.