Christmas vacation to the mountains/snow - recommendations ?

Old October 13th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Jorn

Default Christmas vacation to the mountains/snow - recommendations ?

Hi,

This Christmas, I have a 5day vacation and I am looking to book a vacation.
I'm living in Austin, Texas, for 12 months (I am from Belgium, Europe).
I am very interested in going to the Rocky Mountains.

What am I looking for ?

- snow and mountains; I would like to have a very peaceful vacation, away
from it all (no big hotel or resort! no skying or snowsport location!); to
make some nice nature walks, see some wildlife (I'm thinking of some
Colorado locations, like Colorado Springs)

- budget; I am studying as a trainee, so I am on a limited budget (for
example, I can't afford to pay $500 for the plane ticket and another $500
for the motel or accomodation); I'm thinking of a budget around $700-800 for
the 5 days, everything included!

- leaving on Tuesday evening December 23 (after work, that is after 6.30 PM)
and returning the latest on Sunday December 28.

- leaving from preferably Austin Intl Airport (the surrounding airports -
San Antonio, Dallas and Houston - are OK too, but take more time getting
there and back to Austin by car)

Reactions here, or by e-mail to

Thanks,

Jorn

Old October 13th, 2003, 05:12 PM
MTV

Jorn wrote:

[...]

I'd go to Durango before Colo. Springs. Then west to Mesa Verde Nat'l Park,
Flagstaff, AZ(college town), down to Sedona and back on the "blue highways"
through New Mexico. 5 days is not nearly enough time, though.

Marv

Old October 13th, 2003, 05:16 PM
MTV

Jorn wrote:

Hi,

This Christmas, I have a 5day vacation and I am looking to book a vacation.
I'm living in Austin, Texas, for 12 months (I am from Belgium, Europe).
I am very interested in going to the Rocky Mountains.

What am I looking for ?

- snow and mountains; I would like to have a very peaceful vacation, away
from it all (no big hotel or resort! no skying or snowsport location!); to
make some nice nature walks, see some wildlife (I'm thinking of some
Colorado locations, like Colorado Springs)

P.S. Don't know how you mix snow and hiking, but for your limited time
think about Big Bend Nat'l Park in SW Texas. LOTS of hiking in the
mountains! But probably no snow that early in the season.

Marv

Old October 14th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Jorn

Thanks, but I am visiting Big Bend on Thanksgiving Day Weekend.

I will fly to one place on Christmas (for the 5 days), and stay there (no
traveling around, as I already visited Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, ... in
the past). This is really a relaxing holiday, with snow and hiking (2-3 hour
hikes that is).
I would love to be able to stay in a cabin, somewhere in the mountains, for
example on a lake. I know of State Parks here close to Austin (for example
in Bastrop) where this could happen; the only thing is that there are no
real mountains in Bastrop and for sure no snow.

Any more ideas ?

"MTV" schreef in bericht

Old October 17th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Greg

Colorado Springs isn't really in the mountains, but
it does have plenty of hiking nearby. Many mountain
locations in Colorado may have enough snow that hiking
could be difficult. You might check Durango like
previously suggested. I don't know what it's like in winter
but it is a major resort area in summer. Glenwood Springs
Colorado is great in winter - you can spend days in the hot
springs pool if this interests you at all.