Oregon - help!

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Patty Winter

Default Oregon - help!

In article ,
alohacyberian wrote:

Crater Lake (not open year round)

Are you sure? The NPS web site says it is. Many of the services are
closed, but one visitor center and a cafeteria/gift shop are open.

Patty
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:48 AM
alohacyberian

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
In article ,
alohacyberian wrote:

Crater Lake (not open year round)

Are you sure? The NPS web site says it is. Many of the services are
closed, but one visitor center and a cafeteria/gift shop are open.
Patty

Yes, I think you're right, provided the snowfall doesn't prevent you from
getting to the lake. The National Park Service website says: "The winter
brings some of the heaviest snowfall in the country, averaging 533 inches per
year. Although park facilities mostly close for this snowy season, visitors
may view the lake during fair weather, enjoy cross-country skiing, and
participate in weekend snowshoe hikes." KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old September 13th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
alohacyberian wrote:
"Patty Winter" wrote in message

Many of the services are
closed, but one visitor center and a cafeteria/gift shop are open.

Yes, I think you're right, provided the snowfall doesn't prevent you from
getting to the lake.

Yeah, I thought about that. Does anyone know how aggressive the NPS
is about keeping the road to the rim open? (The main road *to* the
rim. I realize that they don't plow the entire rim road.)

Anyway, I would definitely recommend Crater Lake to the original
poster. It's simply stunning.

Patty

Old September 14th, 2003, 09:16 AM
alohacyberian

alohacyberian wrote:
"Patty Winter" wrote in message
Many of the services are
closed, but one visitor center and a cafeteria/gift shop are open.

Yes, I think you're right, provided the snowfall doesn't prevent you from
getting to the lake.

Yeah, I thought about that. Does anyone know how aggressive the NPS
is about keeping the road to the rim open? (The main road *to* the
rim. I realize that they don't plow the entire rim road.)

Anyway, I would definitely recommend Crater Lake to the original
poster. It's simply stunning.
Patty

Yes, Crater Lake is indeed one of the most stunning sights on the North
American continent, though, I don't think clearing the roads is the
responsibility of the National Parks Service, it falls under the umbrella of
the county or the state, depending on the ownership of the road(s). KM

Old September 14th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
alohacyberian wrote:

Yes, Crater Lake is indeed one of the most stunning sights on the North
American continent, though, I don't think clearing the roads is the
responsibility of the National Parks Service, it falls under the umbrella of
the county or the state, depending on the ownership of the road(s). KM

Really? In Yosemite, NPS crews handle the roads inside the park, so I
figured that was the case in other national parks, too, including the
road to the rim of Crater Lake. (Of course, Caltrans and the counties
take care of the roads leading *to* the Yosemite park boundaries.)

Patty
Old September 14th, 2003, 10:28 PM
alohacyberian

alohacyberian wrote:

Yes, Crater Lake is indeed one of the most stunning sights on the North
American continent, though, I don't think clearing the roads is the
responsibility of the National Parks Service, it falls under the umbrella

of
the county or the state, depending on the ownership of the road(s). KM

Really? In Yosemite, NPS crews handle the roads inside the park, so I
figured that was the case in other national parks, too, including the
road to the rim of Crater Lake. (Of course, Caltrans and the counties
take care of the roads leading *to* the Yosemite park boundaries.)

Patty

You could be right. Now that you mention it, I remember seeing snow plows at
Crater Lake a few years back, but, don't recall if they were from the
National Park Service or not. I've also camped at Yosemite in the winter and
don't recall noticing there either. KM

Old September 25th, 2003, 06:50 AM
John Elliott

The main resort does stay open and just one access road.
Of course one can take a guided snow mobile from Diamond lake in the winter.
It is a great ride!

Old September 25th, 2003, 06:53 AM
John Elliott

The rim road is usually open from sometime in late July to about the end of
September. Of course this varies depending on the weather.

Yes the view is worth the trip. If you stay overnight or otherwise arrive
very early in the morning, yu might see the lake very quite and reflective.
This makes a one of a kind picture.

John Elliott

Old October 17th, 2003, 03:43 PM
The van Noord's

Keith seems to be a cyber-expert on everything. The cyber-light is on but in
reality nobody is home. NPS has total jurisdiction over the entire park. Roads
in this park are a function of the weather period. In a major storm your not
getting anywhere. The road to the rim will be plowed near high priority, right
after entrance, HQ area and government housing. But be aware NPS has different
standards/regulations. So where the state may salt the roads NPS may not,
creating nasty icy conditions.