us-canada travel without passport or birth certificate?

Old October 17th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default us-canada travel without passport or birth certificate?

Richard wrote:
Scarily enough though, proper ID seems to be more important in American
bars than it does at American border crossings

Disturbingly, I think you're right. Three out of the last four times I
crossed the border from Canada into the US (all this summer), I was not
asked for any identification of any kind.

Three of the last four times I drank in a bar here in DC I was asked to show
my driver's license.

Good thing we've got our priorities straight. No wavering from the
puritanical fixation here, no sir.

miguel
Old October 17th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Richard" wrote in message
"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message

I've been to enough bars with foreigners who were sent back home to

fetch
ID
that I wouldn't recommend it. There's very little to gain and a lot of

good
drinking time to lose.

I know, I know ... my question was made up and worded as closely to the

OP's
as possible to try and show him the importance of ID in certain

situations.

Scarily enough though, proper ID seems to be more important in American

bars
than it does at American border crossings -- I've never had problems

getting
into the US on my passport but a few months ago I was refused service at a
bar in San Diego despite the fact that I was carrying my passport.
Apparently, to be served alcohol in California, one needs a
government-issued photo ID that not only lists your date of birth but also
your height and weight.

It hasnt been a problem for me for the last 20 years or so,
wait around a decade or two and the problem will go away

Keith

Old October 17th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:23:03 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
Apparently, to be served alcohol in California, one needs a
government-issued photo ID that not only lists your date of birth but also
your height and weight.

It hasnt been a problem for me for the last 20 years or so,
wait around a decade or two and the problem will go away

When we're out my wife mutters, "C'mon, ask me for ID, please ask
me."

Old October 17th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:32:18 +0200, "Sjoerd"
wrote:

"Miguel Cruz" schreef in bericht
Richard wrote:
Scarily enough though, proper ID seems to be more important in American
bars than it does at American border crossings

Disturbingly, I think you're right. Three out of the last four times I
crossed the border from Canada into the US (all this summer), I was not
asked for any identification of any kind.

Which is kind of strange after all the talk about "securing America's
borders" etc.? So does this mean that any terrorist with a decent North
American accent can fly to Canada and then will have a 75% chance to get
into the US as long as he / she claims to be a US citizen?

Yep. In fact, we have not needed to show anything coming back
from mexico, either.