Just visited the Mobile, AL area

Old October 12th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Green Hill

Default Just visited the Mobile, AL area

Hi all,

I just visited Mobile, AL to slidell, LA, and back east to pensacola,
fairhope area.

I was under the impression that this region in the deep south was
somewhat laid back. What I found was alot different. It seems the
region has become fans of strip malls and expressways.

I liked Mobile, it seemed like a true working city with a failry
intact southern flair. I didnt care for pascgoula, or biloxi, or much
inbetween unfortunatly. SLidell being close to New orleans sure wasnt
impressive for a small town. I enjoyed Pensacola's downtown area.

I guess my question is are there any true southern towns left? I guess
coastal will be built up, but I had heard that they limited
delvelopment. Doesnt seem to be doing a good job, high rises and strip
malls with perodic breaks where you can see the ocean.If all this
sprawl was contained to villages and towns along the coast, wed have
some real nice communities. Im looking for a port city, that is a
true working town, with a nice balance of tourism and functuality. Im
flexible in location, anywhere from NC to the edge of TX, id like to
avoid Fl. Anyone have any suggestions and insights?
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:51 PM
MTV

Green Hill wrote:
Hi all,

I just visited Mobile, AL to slidell, LA, and back east to pensacola,
fairhope area.

I was under the impression that this region in the deep south was
somewhat laid back. What I found was alot different. It seems the
region has become fans of strip malls and expressways.

I liked Mobile, it seemed like a true working city with a failry
intact southern flair. I didnt care for pascgoula, or biloxi, or much
inbetween unfortunatly. SLidell being close to New orleans sure wasnt
impressive for a small town. I enjoyed Pensacola's downtown area.

I guess my question is are there any true southern towns left?

You're not going to find them along the coast and interstates, although
Charleston, SC claims to have retained its charm. Methinks you're also
confusing Hollywood charm - upperclass plantations with sugar sweet drawls
- with reality. The latter includes dirt poor working stiffs in double-wide
trailers flocking to NASCAR races.

Marv

Old October 17th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Nile

I liked Mobile ... I enjoyed Pensacola's downtown area.

If you didn't like Biloxi, those are the other choices under your
criteria. I hear Port St Joe, Fla., area isn't developed much but
haven't been there. Have you been to Wilmington, N.C.?

Old October 17th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Nile

I guess my question is are there any true southern towns left?

P.S. Did you stop at Ocean Springs or Bay St. Louis when you were in
Biloxi? Quiet but otherwise fit the bill.