Noise cancelling headphones q

Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Quasinerd

Default Noise cancelling headphones q

I have headphones bought a few years ago, which i wear
on flights (with or without plugging them into a music
machine), but they are physically uncomfortable on the
ears, so I want to replace them.

With them turned on, they block the low rumble sound
but I can still hear voices just fine.

What kind of specs am I looking for to get something
with similar effect? Some ads speak of "silence,"
which seems to me could be unsafe if it means I miss a
safety announcement, or inconvient if it means I miss
an offer of food or other service.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:12 PM
colin.

"Quasinerd" wrote in message
| I have headphones bought a few years ago, which i wear
| on flights (with or without plugging them into a music
| machine), but they are physically uncomfortable on the
| ears, so I want to replace them.
|
| With them turned on, they block the low rumble sound
| but I can still hear voices just fine.
|
| What kind of specs am I looking for to get something
| with similar effect? Some ads speak of "silence,"
| which seems to me could be unsafe if it means I miss a
| safety announcement, or inconvient if it means I miss
| an offer of food or other service.

I strongly suggest you take a look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/2f2ch

I bought some last year, now I never travel anywhere without them. Wear
them on a flight and experience total silence (unless they're plugged into
your walkman =P)

Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:37 PM
Scott

Etymotic Research's "isolator earphones": http://www.etymotic.com
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:08 PM
Mike Cordelli

It depends on what you are listening to. If you are listening to the planes
audio then you will have it cut out when they make their announcements and
it won't matter. If you are listening to a CD player, then you may or may
not hear it.

I love the bose if you have the money for them. I've used several other
brands over the years, and the other pair I liked a lot was the noise buster
extremes, though they are a bit harder to find anymore.

Unless you get a pair that fits in your ear and totally blocks off all the
outside noise, you will still know that there are announcements going on.

Old January 5th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Qansett

Also if you read and article in the Sydney Morning Herald "Entertainemnt
Guide"
(www.smh.com.au) 5th January 2004, gives a complete run down on how
these headphones work.