Powerports on AA 767s

Old December 12th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Brian

Default Powerports on AA 767s

Has anyone actually used one of the Powerports located in coach on
American Airline 767s? I am flying my children ORD-HNL in a few
weeks, and would love to take along a portable DVD player (9 hours of
peace and quiet: Priceless.)

Two questions on my mind: First, the AA website says the Powerports
are 15 volt. All the inverters I can find in stores are 12 volts.
What gives?

Second, does anyone know if one-piece inverters will plug into the
powerport? My *big* inverter has the cigarette-lighter-type plug
attached to a cord, which leads to the brick housing a 110 VAC outlet.
However, I have also seen small inverters where the plug, brick and
110 VAC outlet are all one piece (kind of resembles a fist with the
thumb stuck out.) The AA website shows a small flap covering the
powerport receptacle, and I can't figure out whether a one-piece
inverter will properly plug in.

Any impartable wisdom gratefully accepted,
Brian
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Howard Long

Hi Brian

Two questions on my mind: First, the AA website says the Powerports
are 15 volt. All the inverters I can find in stores are 12 volts.
What gives?

I assume that there must be a low voltage DC input for your DVD Player. The
empower sockets are very unique. You need to take a trip to RadioShack. They
have a device which converts the empower port to a standard cigarette
lighter socket. You then need a further adapter to convert the cigarette
lighter into the correct voltage, correct plug type, and sufficient current
rating for your DVD. You may find that their catlaog number 273-1867 does
all these things.

I do not recommend using the inverter for two reasons: it is relatively
rather bulky, and it also may end up taking a little more current than the
empower is rated for.

Kind Regards, Howard

Old December 12th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Jeffrey Hacker

if you have the kind of inverter that works for your laptop computer, it
will fit - the cover is just a flap and comes off.

BTW, there is onboard video on the 767 Hawaii flights on AA. You can bring
your own earphones along if you wish, or your can buy them from AA for $5.

Jeff

om...

Old December 12th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Simon#

I assume that there must be a low voltage DC input for your DVD Player.
The
empower sockets are very unique. You need to take a trip to RadioShack.

They
have a device which converts the empower port to a standard cigarette
lighter socket. You then need a further adapter to convert the cigarette
lighter into the correct voltage, correct plug type, and sufficient

current
rating for your DVD. You may find that their catlaog number 273-1867 does
all these things.

Are DVD Players allowed? In the UK most airline do not allow CD or DVD
players, or specifiy that the cd drive of a laptop cannot be accessed as it
will affect the flight navigation systems?

Old December 12th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Simon#" wrote:

Are DVD Players allowed? In the UK most airline do not allow CD or DVD
players, or specifiy that the cd drive of a laptop cannot be accessed as it
will affect the flight navigation systems?

No problemo. Some airlines (Alaska and maybe AA) provide portable DVD
players for premium class passengers. There's a business that rents
movies and DVD players to passengers.
Old December 12th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Brian

"Howard Long" wrote in message ...
Hi Brian

Two questions on my mind: First, the AA website says the Powerports
are 15 volt. All the inverters I can find in stores are 12 volts.
What gives?

I assume that there must be a low voltage DC input for your DVD Player. The
empower sockets are very unique. You need to take a trip to RadioShack. They
have a device which converts the empower port to a standard cigarette
lighter socket. You then need a further adapter to convert the cigarette
lighter into the correct voltage, correct plug type, and sufficient current
rating for your DVD. You may find that their catlaog number 273-1867 does
all these things.

I do not recommend using the inverter for two reasons: it is relatively
rather bulky, and it also may end up taking a little more current than the
empower is rated for.

Kind Regards, Howard

Howard- Thanks for the information. Is an emport just another word
for what American calls a Powerport? You're right that the DVD
doesn't have much draw. It plugs into 110 VAC, but the cord runs
through a brick to deliver 12 VDC to the unit. The power consumption
is only 14 watts. American's website claims that its ports use a
"cigarette lighter" style outlet delivering 15 volts of direct
current. It seems my options are to spring for a port-to-DVD
interface (which runs around $100), or to go port-inverter-110 VAC
brick-DVD. I have used the latter hookup between my auto's accessory
port and my laptop with no problem. How different would this be?
Regards and thanks, Brian
Old December 14th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Howard Long

Hi Brian

I have some further informatrion for you. I was incorrect about the Empower
connectors. On AA they _do_ use the standard Cigarette lighter connector. I
just came off an AA flight yesterday afternoon.

The device that I use on AA is RadioShack cat. no 273-1825. This provides a
standard cigarette lighter connection and presents any DC voltage between 6V
and 21VDC at 30W maximum, fine for your DVD player. The connector for the
DVD player will be one of the "power tips" suitable for your machine. Be
careful to get the correct polarity. The adapter itself is a tiny box about
2.5" x 1" x 1.5".

The device I suggested before will work too.

Sorry for my inaccurate info a couple of days ago.

Cheers, Howard