Car Rental at Heathrow SUCKS!

Old January 4th, 2004, 02:50 AM
devil

Default Car Rental at Heathrow SUCKS!

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:13:23 +0000, Hilary wrote:

So I say again, you need to compare the price inclusive of insurance. You
are comparing the USA base price which doesn't include insurance with the UK
price that does! It's not uncommon for US rental companies insurance to more
than double the base price. If you compare the real cost, inclusive of
everything, and excepting one off special deals, I doubt you would see much
difference at all, despite motoring being considerably more expensive in the
UK.

But compare with Germany for instance. Why do rentals cost twice as much
in the UK, and why do they often try to trick you into buying insurance
that you don't need?

This is a common complaint from UK tourists hiring in the USA. They
prebook carhire and then get semi-forcefed the extra insurance that they
don't need. Some people, particularly older couples (and people renting
in FL, I've noticed) tend to have more trouble with pushy rental people
trying to get them to take more insurance.

I have seen that happen. But usually not at first line outfits such as
Hertz/Avis.

Old January 4th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Errol

"Howard Long" wrote in message
Errol said:

Ok. As of now the Philly base price has gone down to $15.99
+ Taxes and Surcharges of 4.49 and 1.24 + Insurance of
Loss damage waiver at 20.99 + Personal Accident of 3.00
+ Personal effects protection 1.59 + Additional Liability of 11.95
(This is way more cover than you need btw) you get to $59.61

Now for Thiefrow: all in with the same options for 73.91 quid
which is $132.55 at the interbank rate.
$59.61 vs $132.55 - I rest my case m'lud.

I don't know how you're calculating the costs and what days you're after,
using but a very quick Travelocity search gives prices from GBP11 per day
picking up and dropping off at LHR. Even Hertz is GBP19.

I picked Avis at random for the 10-11th for Philly and LHR, and added in
all the insurance options, thats all. I think you need to read the whole
thread
first to see what it's about.

Errol

Old January 4th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Doug Weller

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:33:11 -0000, Mark Hewitt wrote:
[SNIP]
So I say again, you need to compare the price inclusive of insurance. You
are comparing the USA base price which doesn't include insurance with the UK
price that does! It's not uncommon for US rental companies insurance to more
than double the base price. If you compare the real cost, inclusive of
everything, and excepting one off special deals, I doubt you would see much
difference at all, despite motoring being considerably more expensive in the
UK.

I agree entirely about having to include the US insurance, which can easily
more than double the price and make the old 'free car hire' with plane
tickets thing worthless.

BUT -- you really need to compare renting a car through a travel agency or
through something like Holiday Rentals, not directly through a US web site.
They have much better deals.

Doug
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Doug Weller

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 00:13:23 +0000, Hilary wrote:

So I say again, you need to compare the price inclusive of insurance. You
are comparing the USA base price which doesn't include insurance with the UK
price that does! It's not uncommon for US rental companies insurance to more
than double the base price. If you compare the real cost, inclusive of
everything, and excepting one off special deals, I doubt you would see much
difference at all, despite motoring being considerably more expensive in the
UK.

But compare with Germany for instance. Why do rentals cost twice as much
in the UK, and why do they often try to trick you into buying insurance
that you don't need?

This is a common complaint from UK tourists hiring in the USA. They
prebook carhire and then get semi-forcefed the extra insurance that they
don't need.

What insurance do you figure you don't need?

Doug
Old January 4th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Errol" wrote in message

I picked Avis at random for the 10-11th for Philly and LHR, and added in
all the insurance options, thats all. I think you need to read the whole
thread
first to see what it's about.

There's your problem. I've found Avis to be at least twice the price of
every other car hire company in my local area. Expect the same is true
elsewhere in the UK.

Old January 4th, 2004, 12:39 PM

"Errol" wrote

Don't want to get into the details because I might get someone
fired. The rate was an internet special given by the company that
she worked for, not a 3rd party consolidator. It was a large and well-known
rental agency
headquartered in the US. The rate was a good one but still somewhat
higher than the US rates. Errol

I cannot say I agree with your approach.

Firstly you must "expect abroad to be different". Personally
I cannot stand those shops where you have to pay more that
the displayed price. The price shown should be the price you
pay imho. Equally it would be unwise to drive in the UK on the
left side of the road

Secondly It sounds like distant "head office" had made a special offer
without the agreement of the local franchisees who would
have to take the saving out of their own pockets.

The lady behind the counter was probably on strict instructions from
her direct superiors to refuse to accept deals which the local
company had not agreed to. Eventually somebody higher up the line
gave her authorisation to accept your voucher. She might have
lost her job if she had not found somebody able to take responsibility
for accepting the deal.

Inter company warfare should not backfire on the customer. These things
should all be sorted out BEFORE offers are made and accepted. It really
would help you avoid future difficulty if you complained both to head
office and the local franchisee, especially if you say you get problems
with other companies too.

(Just my opinion of course)
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:10 PM
JohnT

wrote in message
om...
"Errol" wrote

Don't want to get into the details because I might get someone
fired. The rate was an internet special given by the company that
she worked for, not a 3rd party consolidator. It was a large and well-known
rental agency
headquartered in the US. The rate was a good one but still somewhat
higher than the US rates. Errol

I cannot say I agree with your approach.

Firstly you must "expect abroad to be different". Personally
I cannot stand those shops where you have to pay more that
the displayed price. The price shown should be the price you
pay imho. Equally it would be unwise to drive in the UK on the
left side of the road

Really? I have been driving on the left in the UK since 1957 without any
serious problems!

JohnT

Old January 4th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Errol

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"Errol" wrote in message

I picked Avis at random for the 10-11th for Philly and LHR, and added in
all the insurance options, thats all. I think you need to read the whole
thread
first to see what it's about.

There's your problem. I've found Avis to be at least twice the price of
every other car hire company in my local area. Expect the same is true
elsewhere in the UK.

I doubt it. I have used all of them since 1995 and it's been the same
miserable
over-priced and inefficient service all along. I picked Avis at random and
could
equally well have picked Hertz or National. Are you connected in some
way with British tourist or car rental agencies?

Errol

Old January 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Errol

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Lots of top-up insurance. Most have the basic cover (equivalent to third
party, fire and theft) and some companies (incl the one we use) also offer
damage/theft waiver and a few other things. Either salespeople don't know
their agreements or they figure the customer doesn't - there have been
people sold insurance they already had, or scared into buying the full
works. If they *want* the full works that's fine, but it can add a
substantial amount to their hire.

Well if you look at my previous posts, you'll see that the UK rental was
more than double for a random rental at London vs Philadelphia which
is also a fairly large hub.

So looking at National for the weekend of the 10th at JFK in NYC its
$77.87 vs LHR $163 (with all options)- so quite frankly I think this
discussion is over for me.
It's exactly the crock I made it out to be.

Errol

Old January 4th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Errol

wrote in message
om...
"Errol" wrote

Don't want to get into the details because I might get someone
fired. The rate was an internet special given by the company that
she worked for, not a 3rd party consolidator. It was a large and

well-known
rental agency
headquartered in the US. The rate was a good one but still somewhat
higher than the US rates. Errol

I cannot say I agree with your approach.

Firstly you must "expect abroad to be different".

Er, I am running at about 30 countries so far and have spent
extensive time in Africa where conditions are not optimal.
Probably about a million FF miles over the years. I know abroad.

Errol