Winter let France with ISDN connection

Old September 12th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default Winter let France with ISDN connection

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to rent a place in France fro 6
months in winter and point me to any useful sites?

I also (for work) need ISDN (not necessarily ADSL) for the purpose of Radio
Broadcasting. Does anyone know if the equivalent of BT Digital Access is
available in France?

Old September 13th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Owain

"Trevor Appleton" wrote
| I also (for work) need ISDN (not necessarily ADSL) for the purpose
| of Radio Broadcasting. Does anyone know if the equivalent of BT
| Digital Access is available in France?

We've had ISDN (RNIS or Numeris in France) for a couple years with no
problem. Home product is called ITOO, which is bascially 2x64K lines with
terminal equipment to provide 3 lines of which 2 can be used at any one time
to provide upto 128K. Same I think as BT's ISDNs home product. It is only
available from France Telecom.
goto www.francetelecom.fr and search on ITOO, it's the first in the list.
Costs are favourable with standard telephone connections + discounts for
internet access and a lot cheaper than the Uk to install.
http://www.francemag.com/frmag/conte...t.asp?ID=578&G
roupID=11
(wroiting in 2003)

However I can't see ITOO in the France Télécom website. Plenty of mention of
internet services though. If you use the business section of the site
Accueil du site Professionnels Ligne France Télécom Lignes
professionnelles then there is Lignes numériques (Numéris) and I think you
are looking for Numéris Duo?
http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/...nel/fp/882/fic
he_produit.html
Contrairement au câble ou à l'ADSL, Numéris est disponible partout en
France.
Ces lignes constituent le réseau ISDN (en français, RNIS : Réseau
Numérique à Intégration de Services). Numéris, nom de notre réseau national,
constitue l'un des "maillons" du numérique international. Il est identique
et parfaitement compatible avec tous les autres. En clair, la qualité de
transmission de la voix, d'images ou de données sera parfaite quelle que
soit la distance entre deux correspondants dotés d'un équipement numérique.
Abonnement mensuel 34,70 EUR HT par accès
Frais de mise en service : 103 EUR HT par accès

There's a contact form on the website at
http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/...&fg=-&cf=A/vf/
accueil/contact/index_f.shtml

Are you wanting to put ISDN audio codecs on the line? The British supplier
Canford Audio operates in France and may be able to help.
UK Technical Support Tel: +44 191 418 1144
Canford Audio France Tel: +33 3 88 55 13 13

Owain

Old September 13th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Trevor Appleton

"Owain" wrote in message
"Trevor Appleton" wrote
| I also (for work) need ISDN (not necessarily ADSL) for the purpose
| of Radio Broadcasting. Does anyone know if the equivalent of BT
| Digital Access is available in France?

We've had ISDN (RNIS or Numeris in France) for a couple years with no
problem. Home product is called ITOO, which is bascially 2x64K lines with
terminal equipment to provide 3 lines of which 2 can be used at any one

time
to provide upto 128K. Same I think as BT's ISDNs home product. It is only
available from France Telecom.
goto www.francetelecom.fr and search on ITOO, it's the first in the

list.
Costs are favourable with standard telephone connections + discounts for
internet access and a lot cheaper than the Uk to install.

http://www.francemag.com/frmag/conte...t.asp?ID=578&G
roupID=11
(wroiting in 2003)

However I can't see ITOO in the France Télécom website. Plenty of mention

of
internet services though. If you use the business section of the site
Accueil du site Professionnels Ligne France Télécom Lignes
professionnelles then there is Lignes numériques (Numéris) and I think you
are looking for Numéris Duo?

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/...nel/fp/882/fic
he_produit.html
Contrairement au câble ou à l'ADSL, Numéris est disponible partout en
France.
Ces lignes constituent le réseau ISDN (en français, RNIS : Réseau
Numérique à Intégration de Services). Numéris, nom de notre réseau

national,
constitue l'un des "maillons" du numérique international. Il est identique
et parfaitement compatible avec tous les autres. En clair, la qualité de
transmission de la voix, d'images ou de données sera parfaite quelle que
soit la distance entre deux correspondants dotés d'un équipement

numérique.
Abonnement mensuel 34,70 EUR HT par accès
Frais de mise en service : 103 EUR HT par accès

There's a contact form on the website at

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/...&fg=-&cf=A/vf/
accueil/contact/index_f.shtml

Are you wanting to put ISDN audio codecs on the line? The British supplier
Canford Audio operates in France and may be able to help.
UK Technical Support Tel: +44 191 418 1144
Canford Audio France Tel: +33 3 88 55 13 13

Owain

Thats really helpful Owain many thanks.

I don't know if you would know if the connectors are identical? I have no
idea what type or what theyre called here.

Old September 13th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Mxsmanic

Trevor Appleton writes:

I also (for work) need ISDN (not necessarily ADSL) for the purpose of Radio
Broadcasting. Does anyone know if the equivalent of BT Digital Access is
available in France?

ASDL is much more available than ISDN, as the latter often has more
stringent line requirements. However, you can find both very easily in
many urban areas of France.

Old September 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Trevor Appleton

"Owain" wrote in message
"Trevor Appleton" wrote
| I also (for work) need ISDN (not necessarily ADSL) for the purpose
| of Radio Broadcasting. Does anyone know if the equivalent of BT
| Digital Access is available in France?

We've had ISDN (RNIS or Numeris in France) for a couple years with no
problem. Home product is called ITOO, which is bascially 2x64K lines with
terminal equipment to provide 3 lines of which 2 can be used at any one

time
to provide upto 128K. Same I think as BT's ISDNs home product. It is only
available from France Telecom.
goto www.francetelecom.fr and search on ITOO, it's the first in the

list.
Costs are favourable with standard telephone connections + discounts for
internet access and a lot cheaper than the Uk to install.

http://www.francemag.com/frmag/conte...t.asp?ID=578&G
roupID=11
(wroiting in 2003)

However I can't see ITOO in the France Télécom website. Plenty of mention

of
internet services though. If you use the business section of the site
Accueil du site Professionnels Ligne France Télécom Lignes
professionnelles then there is Lignes numériques (Numéris) and I think you
are looking for Numéris Duo?

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/...nel/fp/882/fic
he_produit.html
Contrairement au câble ou à l'ADSL, Numéris est disponible partout en
France.
Ces lignes constituent le réseau ISDN (en français, RNIS : Réseau
Numérique à Intégration de Services). Numéris, nom de notre réseau

national,
constitue l'un des "maillons" du numérique international. Il est identique
et parfaitement compatible avec tous les autres. En clair, la qualité de
transmission de la voix, d'images ou de données sera parfaite quelle que
soit la distance entre deux correspondants dotés d'un équipement

numérique.
Abonnement mensuel 34,70 EUR HT par accès
Frais de mise en service : 103 EUR HT par accès

There's a contact form on the website at

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/...&fg=-&cf=A/vf/
accueil/contact/index_f.shtml

Are you wanting to put ISDN audio codecs on the line? The British supplier
Canford Audio operates in France and may be able to help.
UK Technical Support Tel: +44 191 418 1144
Canford Audio France Tel: +33 3 88 55 13 13

Owain

You've totally lost me on CODECS. I have heard the term but have no idea
what it is

Old September 13th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Trevor Appleton

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Trevor Appleton writes:

I also (for work) need ISDN (not necessarily ADSL) for the purpose of

Radio
Broadcasting. Does anyone know if the equivalent of BT Digital Access is
available in France?

ASDL is much more available than ISDN, as the latter often has more
stringent line requirements. However, you can find both very easily in
many urban areas of France.

I wouldn't want to be in an urban area. The more rural the better.
Preferably with mountains, but not the Alps, too dear.

I need ISDN for Radio Broadcasting, I don't think you can use ADSL

Old September 13th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Owain

"Mxsmanic" wrote
| ASDL is much more available than ISDN, as the latter often has
| more stringent line requirements. However, you can find both
| very easily in many urban areas of France.

The France Telecom website says specifically an advantage of ISDN is

Old September 13th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Owain

"Trevor Appleton" wrote
| You've totally lost me on CODECS. I have heard the term but have
| no idea what it is

An interface (coder/decoder) that connects an analogue audio system (eg your
home studio) over one or more ISDN lines/channels to another analogue audio
system (eg broadcast control room) in another location. The equivalent for
analogue telephone lines is often called a hybrid.

http://www.vtx.co.uk/remote/codecs.htm
http://www.preco.co.uk/product_detai...&top_cat= Pro
duct%20Type
http://www.sonifex.co.uk/codecs/index.shtml

As far as connectors and compatibility go, France is probably more adherent
to the ISDNe (Euro ISDN) standard that BT is.

Owain

Old September 13th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Owain

"Trevor Appleton" wrote
| I need ISDN for Radio Broadcasting, I don't think you can use ADSL

Too much latency (sluggishness) and ASDL is usually optimised for fast
downloads to the user, but slower for uploads from the user, hence the
viewer can run streaming audio/video incoming, but not provide an equivalent
outbound service.

Owain

Old September 14th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Mxsmanic

Owain writes:

The France Telecom website says specifically an advantage of ISDN is
"Contrairement au câble ou à l'ADSL, Numéris est disponible partout en
France."

That's why I said "many URBAN areas" for both.

ISDN can pose problems if the lines have certain gadgets attached to
them (as was once common), but apparently those obstacles have been
largely removed in France by France Telecom.