power chairs

Old October 16th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Paul Love

Default power chairs

me and my girlfriend will be flying to honolulu next august id lke to
know what is hawaiian airline policy on power chairs or if there are any
rstrictions to them or extra cost for the power chair to fly with me on
the plane if anyone can help me on this id appreciate it thanks in
advance

Old October 17th, 2004, 03:00 AM
John R. Levine

me and my girlfriend will be flying to honolulu next august id lke to
know what is hawaiian airline policy on power chairs or if there are
any rstrictions to them or extra cost for the power chair to fly with
me on the plane if anyone can help me on this id appreciate it thanks
in advance

What did Hawaiian Airlines say when you called them and asked them
this question?

Helpful tip: their phone number is 800 367 5320

Old October 17th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:19:22 -0700, Paul Love wrote:
me and my girlfriend will be flying to honolulu next august id lke to
know what is hawaiian airline policy on power chairs or if there are any
rstrictions to them or extra cost for the power chair to fly with me on
the plane if anyone can help me on this id appreciate it thanks in
advance

Talk to the carrier. Also print off and keep a copy of the Air Carrier
Access Act with you:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/382SHORT.htm
http://www.disabilitytravel.com/airl...ls.htm#details
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...s/horizons.htm

Note especially: (from http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...s/horizons.htm
Carriers must transport battery-powered wheelchairs, except where cargo
compartment size or aircraft airworthiness considerations do not permit
doing so. Electric wheelchairs must be treated in accordance with both
DOT regulations for handling hazardous materials, and DOT Air Carrier
Access regulations, which differentiate between spillable and
non-spillable batteries:

Spillable Batteries. If the chair is powered by a spillable battery,
the battery must be removed unless the wheelchair can be loaded, stored,
secured, and unloaded always in an upright position. When it is possible
to load, store, secure, and unload with the wheelchair always in an
upright position and the battery is securely attached to the wheelchair,
the carrier may not remove the battery from the chair.

Nonspillable Batteries. It is never necessary under the DOT hazardous
materials regulations to remove a battery that is marked as nonspillable
from a wheelchair before stowing it. DOT issued rules that require new
non-spillable batteries to be marked as such effective September 1995.

The carrier may remove a battery that is not marked as nonspillable
from the mobility aid if it cannot be loaded, stored, secured and
unloaded always in an upright position. An across-the-board assumption
that all batteries are spillable is not consistent with the Air
Carrier Access rules.

A nonspillable battery may be removed where it appears to be
damaged and leakage of battery fluid is possible.

Other provisions concerning electric wheelchairs:

The battery of a wheelchair may not be drained.

When DOT hazardous materials regulations require detaching the battery
from the wheelchair, the carrier shall upon request provide packaging for
the battery that will meet safety requirements.

Carriers may not charge for packaging wheelchair batteries.

Carriers may require passengers with electric wheelchairs to check
in one hour before flight time.

If a passenger checks in less than one hour before flight time, the
carrier shall make a reasonable effort to carry his or her wheelchair
unless this would delay the flight.

Carriers must allow passengers to provide written instructions
concerning the disassembly and assembly of their wheelchairs.

Carriers may not require a passenger with a disability to sign a waiver
of liability for damage or loss of wheelchairs or other assistive devices.
The carrier may make note of any pre-existing defect to the device.

On domestic trips, airlines are permitted to limit their liability for
loss, damage or delay to checked baggage to $2,500 per passenger. This
limit does not apply to wheelchairs or other assistive devices, however.
When an assistive device is lost or destroyed on a domestic trip, the
criterion for calculating the compensation is the original purchase
price of the device.

This expanded liability for assistive devices does not extend to
international trips, where the Warsaw Convention applies. For most
international trips (including the domestic portions of an international
trip) the current liability is approximately $9.07 per pound for checked
baggage and $400 per passenger for unchecked baggage, including
assistive devices."