Long stay Beijing, hotels / private apts..?

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM
R N

Default Long stay Beijing, hotels / private apts..?

We're looking to be on extended vacation in Beijing. Something like 3
months or so during a June - Sept period (not this year btw)

I've been told for instance that professional Chinese couples are each
given an apartment by the Chinese goverment and they often will rent one
out. On the other hand I think I recall it's basically against the law
to rent your apt to a foreigner.

Any of that still true? What about great long stay rates at a nice
hotel? $500-$1000/mo range?

I guess that's the high season...probably hard to get a deal.

..Emails would be good to establish an ongoing dialogue on the subject

Xie xie

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:42 PM
PeterL

"R N" wrote in message
We're looking to be on extended vacation in Beijing. Something like 3
months or so during a June - Sept period (not this year btw)

Going to be really hot.

I've been told for instance that professional Chinese couples are each
given an apartment by the Chinese goverment

Told by whom? Not true anymore.

and they often will rent one
out. On the other hand I think I recall it's basically against the law
to rent your apt to a foreigner.

Not true either. Plenty of foreigners rent apartments in Beijing.
Otherwise where do they live?

Any of that still true? What about great long stay rates at a nice
hotel? $500-$1000/mo range?

Try service apartments. I am thinking you are way underestimating the cost.
Beijing is an expensive city to live in.

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:11 PM
R N

I was just reading it's often over 100F during July and August. That
won't do; we're going to China to avoid some of the Philippine summer
heat!

I guess I'll amend our schedule to Sept and October. I thought Beijing
would have about the same weather as Michigan. But I remember my
Chinese x-g/f from Bj saying it's not good there in the summer. Too
dusty etc.

Plan B then..

With Shanghai being further south I guess it's even hotter than Bj is
during the summer.