trip from NE to DC

Old May 8th, 2009, 01:22 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

Default trip from NE to DC

On Thu, 7 May 2009 09:10:16 -0700, "A. Wright"
wrote:

Thanks. In the DC areas, how can I find out more about the bus routes and
maps?

http://www.wmata.com/

Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?

In part that would depend on how close they are to transportation.

Which area of NYC would you choose? why would outside Manhattan a hassel if
all we have to take is the subway?

I'd choose Manhattan.

Some places can be quite a distance in the other boroughs and it can
also be a long way to the subway.

Old May 8th, 2009, 03:00 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

Thanks. In the DC areas, how can I find out more about the bus
routes and maps?

http://www.wmata.com/

Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?

In part that would depend on how close they are to transportation.

Which area of NYC would you choose? why would outside Manhattan a
hassel if all we have to take is the subway?

I'd choose Manhattan.

Some places can be quite a distance in the other boroughs and it can
also be a long way to the subway.

Agreed. There are deals to be had in Manhattan. Try travelzoo.com for some
good ones, but not until a few weeks before you travel.

Old May 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Thu, 07 May 2009 14:59:09 -0700, SMS wrote:

Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?

I think so. You're still in D.C.. Buses go right down Wisconsin Avenue
to the mall area.

Maybe you've got your map upside down. 8 Wisconsin Ave. doesn't come anywhere
near the Mall; it runs north-south from Chevy Chase down to Georgetown and ends
there, so buses on Wisconsin aren't going to do you much good.

Georgetown hotels are few and quite expensive. There's a full range of hotels in
Arlington which is literally a couple of hundred yards away across the bridge.
Also, there's no Metro stop in Georgetown. From Georgetown, you have to walk to
either Rosslyn (the part of Arlington right across the bridge from Georgetown)
or Foggy Bottom Metro stops.

Also check out the Red Roof Inn in the heart of D.C. near Chinatown. I
saw good reviews about it. Maybe not the best neighborhood, but in the
daytime it'd be okay.

The Harrington is the most frequently recommended cheap downtown hotel. It's got
a terrific location between the White House and the Capitol. But since I live
nearby, I've never stayed there. www.hotel-harrington.com

-- Larry
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:17 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Thu, 07 May 2009 14:59:09 -0700, SMS wrote:

Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?

BTW, Old Town Alexandria is another good choice for hotels, with easy Metro
access to downtown and the Mall.

-- Larry
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2009 14:59:09 -0700, SMS wrote:

Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?

I think so. You're still in D.C.. Buses go right down Wisconsin Avenue
to the mall area.

Maybe you've got your map upside down. 8 Wisconsin Ave. doesn't come anywhere
near the Mall; it runs north-south from Chevy Chase down to Georgetown and ends
there, so buses on Wisconsin aren't going to do you much good.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you didn't understand that after the buses
proceed down Wisconsin avenue they then turn in order to get to the mall
area.

Georgetown hotels are few and quite expensive.

We stayed at the Savoy Suites in Georgetown in April. It was $99/night.
Free wireless. Refrigerator in the huge room. It was newly renovated and
very nice. Someone told me that it used to be a Howard Johnsons. Free
underground parking. I could not find anything that cheap in Arlington
at the time. "http://www.savoysuites.com/"

Also, there's no Metro stop in Georgetown.

Immaterial. There are four bus lines from Georgetown to the heart of
D.C. with buses coming every couple of minutes. We only had to walk
about 1 minute from the hotel to the bus stop. If we had wanted to use
he hotel shuttle they would have taken us to a Metro stop, but this
would have taken longer and cost more.
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

"SMS" wrote in message

I really liked being in the South Seaport Area last time because I like
going to Chinatown to eat, and I'm not all that into the super-touristy
stuff at Times Square. Also, there's another TKTS outlet in the South
Seaport area if you want to get tickets without the massive lines up in
Times Square. It wasn't that far from the Lower East Side and Katz's deli
(of "When Harry Met Sally" fame). A lot depends on the stuff you want to
do as well. If you're going to all the art museums on the Upper East Side
then South Seaport isn't as good a place to stay.

Thank you. Where exactly do you mean the South Seaport Area? This is in
Manhattan?
Do you mean South Street Seaport area near Fulton Street? Around Pier 17?

Old May 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

wrote in message
On Thu, 07 May 2009 14:59:09 -0700, SMS wrote:

Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?

Thank you. Which areas of Arlington Hotels are good in bus and Metro for day
trips into the Capital Mall without a car?

Old May 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

"SMS" wrote in message

We stayed at the Savoy Suites in Georgetown in April. It was $99/night.
Free wireless. Refrigerator in the huge room. It was newly renovated and
very nice. Someone told me that it used to be a Howard Johnsons. Free
underground parking. I could not find anything that cheap in Arlington at
the time. "http://www.savoysuites.com/"

Does Savoy Suites has airport shuttle bus?

Old May 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

wrote in message
On Thu, 07 May 2009 14:59:09 -0700, SMS wrote:

Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?

BTW, Old Town Alexandria is another good choice for hotels, with easy
Metro
access to downtown and the Mall.

-- Larry

Do you have any particular hotel for that area? Is this the one you mean
http://www.washingtonsuitesalexandria.com/

Old May 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

"Eugene Miya" wrote in message

Actually there are 4 in the area. The new one is cross block from FBI
HQ. It's really more of a counter spy museum. The FBI sometimes gives
tours (find out about availability). #2 requires a car toward Baltimore
and is just off the MD 32 off ramp at Fort Meade (which was just on KTEH
Nova on Sunday), the Natl. Crypto Museum. #3 is in VA at the other major
spook agency. #4 is a very private collection, I think I saw a bit it at
#3 and on the Travel Channel and is own by Keith Melton who collects that
stuff and has a couple of books out on it.

Is there a nice list of popularity of DC mall museums?