Canada and USA this August

Old January 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Canada and USA this August

Hi Group,

We are in the early stages of putting together an itinerary for our
trip this August. Flights and car hire are booked.
We arrive at Calgary Airport in August for 10 days. We want to see
Glacier NP in Montana. Also the Icefields Parkway and maybe Vancouver.
My plan was to drive down to Glacier then along the "into the Sun
Highway" to Whitefish. From here we could drive to Vancouver using
Highway 3 in Canada.
Is there a better more scenic route to take to get there?
What places of interest (if any) are there along the way?
We would then drive up to Whistler and then carry on back to the
Icefields.
Alternatively from Montana we could drive back up to Alberta and
spend the time exploring thus giving British Columbia a miss this time
(a good excuse to visit again).
What recommendations would anyone give for "must see in Alberta"?

Looking foward to any ideas and suggestions

Thanks and regards

Bob
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
BrianK

On 1/26/2008 3:45 PM did the "neutron
dance", then made these writings:
[...]

If you're going to be in BC visit Victoria on Vancouver Island. Tour
Bouchart Gardens, they were created out of old quarries. There's
something to appeal even to the non-gardener. Vancouver Island is south
of Vancouver. You can take a ferry either way.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

schrieb

Hi Bob,

10 days is ambitious for your planned itinerary. Don't underestimate
the driving distances!

My plan was to drive down to Glacier

I'd suggest a little detour from Calgary to Drumheller, for a little hike
through Horseshoe Canyon, to see the Hoodoos and the Royal
Tyrrell Museum.
From there you can take the smaller secondary highways down to Leth-
bridge and Glacier NP

Is there a better more scenic route to take to get there?

Highway 3 is quite scenic! Don't miss the Le Roi mine in Rossland, and
try your luck with some gold panning.
There are some spectacular views (and even a reals desert!) near Osoyoos.
The next gold mine is waiting for you in Hedley, and Manning Park has
some great hiking trails just off the highway.

We would then drive up to Whistler and then carry on back to the
Icefields.

I don't like Whistler: Much too 'touristy' to my taste, but the drive up
there form Vancouver is spectacular! But it gets even better when you
drive in the opposite direction (to avoid backtracking you might
consider doing the whole round trip counterclockwise)

The drive to Kamploops from there is very nice whichever route you
take (given the lack of time I'd just stay on Hwy 99/97)

On the way to the Icefields Parkway: From Clearwater drive up the
Wells Gray Park to see the Helmcken Falls.

(a good excuse to visit again).

You won't need an excuse: The region is highly addictive so you
probably can't help going there again anyway, and in 10 days you
catch only a short glimpse of some of the major highlights.

I still discover new things each time, after a dozen or so trips.

As for Vancouver Island (Brian's suggestion):
Difficult! I'd say the museum in Victoria is a "must see", but going
there from Vancouver you'd loose a whole day.
According to your e-mail address you are from the UK?
They say Victoria is 'very British' - it isn't. They have red double
decker buses, and offer high tea in the Empress hotel and that's
about it. And you have much nicer parks than Butchart Gardens
at home too, so you'd probably be very disappointed after having
paid a very hefty entrance fee (and it's crowded with busloads
of tourists at any given time)

Jochen from Germany
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
george

On Jan 26, 9:45*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

There's great things to see and do in both Alberta and British
Columbia, and you will have no shortage of places to visit. I would
forget Victoria, and also pass on Vancouver unless you want to visit a
city. However, they're both nice. A nice visit might include a visit
to Banff, Jasper, Yoho, and Kootenay National Parks which are all
adjacent to each other in the Rockies, Take Hwy 5 south from west of
Jasper down to Little Fort and then Hwy 24 to Hwy 97 and then south
to Hwy 99, then west to the coast. The drive before Lillooet is very
nice, and the drive afterward spectacular. The ski resort Whistler
will be along the way after the real nice scenery. You then enter
Vancouver from the north. Hwy 3 will take you toward Glacier Nat.
Park, USA, but if you choose to miss it, Canada 1 will take you
through or close to Mt. Revelstoke NP, and Canada's Glacier NP. and
then you can continue on to Banff NP by either Yoho NP or Kootenay NP,
and back to Calgary. On this route, near the end you could also
detour to Glacier (USA).
Wherever you go, and whatever you do, in this areas you should have an
excellent vacation. Don't try to see it all, because it's
impossible. The nice thing about the driving is most of it's scenic.

George
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary Gapinski[_2_]

Don't miss Yoho National Park (http://xml.garygapinski.com/Yoho.kmz).
While I have yet to visit all the major parks in North America, I'd
venture it is the most scenic mountain park. The drive up the valley
from Highway 1 to Takakkaw Falls is spectacular, as are the falls. If
you are (very) ambitious, plan a hike to Twin Falls returning on the
west side of the valley (~20km circuit from Takakkaw Falls). See
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/index_E.asp for more information.

The Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is quite scenic.

It's a long way to Glacier National Park, and even farther to Vancouver.
I suspect you could profitably spend all 10 days between Calgary and Jasper.
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 1/27/08 12:30 AM, in article , "BrianK"
wrote:

[...]

I understand what you are trying to do, but there are a few gaps in your
itinerary. Highway 3 doesn't go within 100 miles of Vancouver. You could
re-enter Canada after your visit to Whitefish joining Hwy 3 and following it
through the various mountain ranges. It is a very pretty trip. Just don't be
afraid of mountain roads. One of the prettiest parts of Hwy 3 is through
Stag Leap Pass which is at about 6000 feet. You join the Trans Canada
(Highway 1) at Hope and then come through the Fraser Valley into Vancouver.
There are many places and things to do in Vancouver. The Aquarium, the Art
Galleries, Stanley Park, Queen Elizabeth Park. Gondola ride to the top of
Grouse Mountain or you can drive up to the Cypress Bowl or Mt. Seymour. Your
drive to Whistler is a must. They have not finished widening the road for
the Olympics so there is still the odd 20 minute construction wait. You do
not want to drive from Whistler on the Pemberton and the Duffy Lake Road to
Lillooet and then onto the Trans Canada to the Columbia Ice Fields. This is
not highway standard road. It is mainly local road to the Indian
Reservations. It is very pretty though. We have driven it. You are better
off returning to Vancouver (1 1/2 - 2 hour drive. You can then travel on the
Trans Canada through the Fraser Canyon (with a stop at Hell's Gate) on
through the Rogers Pass and on the ice fields.

Be sure to bring your camera and lots of chips or something to download
onto. You will want to take a lot of pictures. The Rockies are gorgeous but
the Purcells and the Selkirks are just as beautiful.

Hope this helps.
--
Martha T2 Vancouver Canada

Old January 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 1/27/08 9:31 AM, in article , "Gary
Gapinski" wrote:

Don't miss Yoho National Park (
http://xml.garygapinski.com/Yoho.kmz).
While I have yet to visit all the major parks in North America, I'd
venture it is the most scenic mountain park. The drive up the valley
from Highway 1 to Takakkaw Falls is spectacular, as are the falls. If
you are (very) ambitious, plan a hike to Twin Falls returning on the
west side of the valley (~20km circuit from Takakkaw Falls). See
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/index_E.asp for more information.

The Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is quite scenic.

It's a long way to Glacier National Park, and even farther to Vancouver.
I suspect you could profitably spend all 10 days between Calgary and Jasper.

I missed the time line when I originally posted. Much as I like to invite
everyone to BC, if you only have 10 days I wouldn't dream of leaving Alberta
let alone driving to Glacier. Glacier doesn't have anything the Canadian
Rockies don't have. The distance from Calgary to Vancouver coming all the
way on the Trans Canada is over 600 kilometers. It takes a good 12 -13 hours
if you know the road and you are used to driving on the "right" side of the
road. Our roads are all mountainous.
--
Martha T2 Canada
1500mg. Metformin, 4mg. Avandia

Old January 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"MI" schrieb

You do not want to drive from Whistler on the Pemberton and the Duffy
Lake Road to Lillooet and then onto the Trans Canada to the Columbia
Ice Fields. This is not highway standard road. It is mainly local road to
the Indian Reservations. It is very pretty though. We have driven it. You
are better off returning to Vancouver

I agree for the Birkenhead route, or the one via Gold Bridge. But Hwy 99
is no problem at all, and saves a lot of time if you only have 10 days (that
means "eating miles" anyway)

You can then travel on the
Trans Canada through the Fraser Canyon (with a stop at Hell's Gate) on
through the Rogers Pass and on the ice fields.

....and only halfway up the Icefields Parkway, then the David Thompson
(Hwy 11) to Rocky Mountain House/Red Deer/Calgary.
Not bad either.

Whether you stay in Alberta, or do this circle tour... there are pros and
cons for both, and up to Bob to decide. If he likes driving: Go for it. If
he prefers to stay in one place for a few more days: Stay in Alberta.
I don't mind spending a whole day behind the wheel because I find driving
Canadian highways really relaxing: Beautiful scenery, no traffic to speak
of...: Pure joy!

Jochen from Germany

Old January 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Gary Gapinski" wrote in message
Don't miss Yoho National Park (http://xml.garygapinski.com/Yoho.kmz).
While I have yet to visit all the major parks in North America, I'd
venture it is the most scenic mountain park. The drive up the valley
from Highway 1 to Takakkaw Falls is spectacular, as are the falls. If
you are (very) ambitious, plan a hike to Twin Falls returning on the
west side of the valley (~20km circuit from Takakkaw Falls). See
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/index_E.asp for more information.

The Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is quite scenic.

"quite scenic"??? One of the MOST scenic driving routes in the effing
world!!!!!

Old January 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"MI" wrote in message

On 1/27/08 12:30 AM, in article ,
"BrianK"
wrote:

[...]

There is NOTHING wrong with the Duffy Lake Road. It is a PAVED two-lane
HIGHWAY. Perhaps you are thinking of the route immediately north of it--the
"Highliner". Now, THAT is .....interesting. Has a sign..or used to "Drive
at your OWN Risk".