Ports of Paris?

Old April 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Christopher M.

Default Ports of Paris?

I was watching a travel show about Paris, and one local recommended visiting
the ports. I'm assuming he meant the ports along the Seine river. Are there
ports on the Seine river that are popular tourist destinations?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old April 7th, 2010, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Christopher M.

"Christopher M." wrote in message
I was watching a travel show about Paris, and one local recommended
visiting the ports. I'm assuming he meant the ports along the Seine river.
Are there ports on the Seine river that are popular tourist destinations?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

The show I was watching was 'Travelers' (1996). I guess they've been showing
the Travelers show on the Discovery II channel in the UK.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old April 7th, 2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Christopher wrote on Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:35:07 -0400:

"Christopher M." wrote in
message ...
I was watching a travel show about Paris, and one local
recommended visiting the ports. I'm assuming he meant the
ports along the Seine river. Are there ports on the Seine
river that are popular tourist destinations?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

The show I was watching was 'Travelers' (1996). I guess
they've been showing the Travelers show on the Discovery II
channel in the UK.

Does "ports" really refer to the old city gates ("Portes") of Paris?
Before the Revolution you had to pay tariffs to bring in goods. I did
not know there was much left of them.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old April 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Christopher M. writes:

I was watching a travel show about Paris, and one local recommended visiting
the ports. I'm assuming he meant the ports along the Seine river. Are there
ports on the Seine river that are popular tourist destinations?

Maybe he was thinking of "ponts" ("bridges," in French).

There is a Port Autonome de Paris that governs navigation of the river, but as
far as I know there's only one.
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:31:50 -0400, Christopher M. wroteÂ*:

I was watching a travel show about Paris, and one local recommended
visiting the ports. I'm assuming he meant the ports along the Seine
river. Are there ports on the Seine river that are popular tourist
destinations?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

The 'port of Paris' is spread all along the Seine river, and mainly in
Gennevilliers which is an industrial zone without much touristical
interest.

Tourists generally make a short trip on the Seine between the Arsenal
and the Alma bridge in one of the many 'Bateaux Mouches' companies. Some
with a dinner.

The Arsenal basin is a small port near Bastille. From there you can have
another, nice, river trip on the Saint-Martin Canal.

http://www.lesvisitesdeparis.fr/en/site-detail.php?ID=1
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

JuanElorza wrote on 10 Apr 2010 14:01:27 GMT:

I was watching a travel show about Paris, and one local
recommended visiting the ports. I'm assuming he meant the
ports along the Seine river. Are there ports on the Seine
river that are popular tourist destinations?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

The 'port of Paris' is spread all along the Seine river, and
mainly in Gennevilliers which is an industrial zone without
much touristical interest.

Tourists generally make a short trip on the Seine between the
Arsenal and the Alma bridge in one of the many 'Bateaux
Mouches' companies. Some with a dinner.

The Arsenal basin is a small port near Bastille. From there
you can have another, nice, river trip on the Saint-Martin
Canal.

Further to my comment on "portes" or "ports" of Paris. I think Wikipedia
is fairly accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_gates_of_Paris

(The same information is given in French:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portes_de_Paris )
I'll quote a small part.

"While Paris is encircled by the boulevard périphérique (Paris ring
road), the city gates of Paris ("portes de Paris") are the access points
to the city for pedestrians and other road users. As Paris has had
successive ring roads through the centuries, city gates are found inside
the modern-day Paris."

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old April 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

James Silverton writes:

"While Paris is encircled by the boulevard périphérique (Paris ring
road), the city gates of Paris ("portes de Paris") are the access points
to the city for pedestrians and other road users. As Paris has had
successive ring roads through the centuries, city gates are found inside
the modern-day Paris."

They usually have fairly large streets running through their former locations,
but I wouldn't call them access points, especially for pedestrians. There is
no wall around the city (apart from the semi-psychological wall of the ring
road, which roughly follows old walls).