Trip Mate

Old January 25th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Tuck

Default Trip Mate

The wife and I scheduled a cruise with Grand Circle Travel then for
personal reasons, we had to cancel. There is a fee to cancel which is
fine with us. GTC is a good travel company to work with. They
refunded the cost of the cruise and suggested that we ask TRIP MATE
for a refund of the insurance premium.
Fast talking TRIP MATE turned our words around and refused to pay.
They are excellent at verbage. My complaint to the Attorney General
of Kansas was referred to "insurance". I contacted the Department of
Financial Services in the state of Florida. They queried TRIP MATE
and got back a beautiful bunch of nonsense words. Trip Mate said that
they are not subject to regulation by the Florida Department of
Financial Services. THE SALE OF INSURANCE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA IS A
REGULATORY ACTIVITY. The Dept. of Financial Services is requesting a
review of the contract with the Bureau of Market Conduct.
I don't care what comes of this because I will never use TRIP MATE
again to insure future cruises.
Old January 25th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Mike Cordelli

You purchased insurance, you didn't use it, and you want your money back?
That's like having life insurance for a few years and then asking for your
money back if you don't die.

You can't get insurance money back just because you don't use the policy.
Had something happened that was a covered reason, then you would have filed
a claim for the fee or whatever and they would have been out the money.

I don't even understand why you thought you should get a refund.

om...

Old January 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM
S/V Tranquility

Without having a clue as to what insurance coverage was purchased....If the
trip was cancelled for a covered reason, then the insururance company should
cover the cost of the lost cancellation fee, right? So, what was the larger
cost, the cancellation fee or the insurance premium? I agree with the
is consumed just seconds after payment.

Old January 25th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Charles

In article .net, S/V
Tranquility wrote:

I agree with the previous poster, once you buy insurance for this
type of thing, part of it is consumed just seconds after payment.

Never heard of Trip Mate. Some of the other insurance companies will
tranfer the insurance to another booking. I have done that. I don't
knoww if any would refund the premium if you cancel the cruise but that
is something that should be checked before you purchase if that is a
concern.

--
Charles
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Cruzinsure

Never heard of Trip Mate.

Trip Mate has been around for about forever and they're pretty big. The reason
you've never heard of them is that their primary business is providing back-end
support (claims administration, etc.) for policies marketed by others.

In other words they are similar to Berkley Care Insurance. If you buy a
Carnival or Princess or Royal Caribbean travel policy you're actually getting a
Berkely policy marketed by that cruise line. Trip Mate does the same thing for
hundreds of other travel suppliers and tour operators. They also supply
services for some third-party insurers such as Global Alert.