Copter Crash Near Grand Canyon Kills 7

Old September 21st, 2003, 11:19 PM
fishman

Default Copter Crash Near Grand Canyon Kills 7

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...=1&u=/ap/20030
921/ap_on_re_us/helicopter_crash_6

By BETH DeFALCO, Associated Press Writer
PHOENIX - Recovery crews hiked into a rugged area of the Grand Canyon on
Sunday to reach the remains of a sightseeing helicopter that crashed with
seven people aboard, including at least four international tourists.
Authorities said there were no survivors.

The helicopter, operating out of Las Vegas, went down after noon Saturday in
rugged terrain about 60 miles east of Las Vegas. It burst into flames upon
impact, according to the Mohave County Sheriff's Office.

The French-made Aerospatiale helicopter had taken off from the Grand Canyon
West Airport with the pilot and six passengers aboard and had been headed
for the bottom of the canyon, said Federal Aviation Administration (news -
web sites) operations officer Larri Frelow.

Two of the passengers were Japanese citizens and at least two others were
German tourists, said Carlos Rooks, a spokesman for the sheriff's office. He
said the pilot was also Japanese. According to the Japanese consulate in Los
Angeles, the pilot was a Japanese citizen who was a legal resident of the
United States.

Authorities did not immediately release the identities of the victims
pending family notification.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:07 AM
Icono Clast

Authorities did not immediately release the identities of the victims
pending family notification.

Such tragedies are always sad but sometimes some good can come of
them. Perhaps fewer people will hire aircraft to **** up the visits of
the people on the ground, even those who never get farther than 150
feet from their cars.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:02 PM
Kenny

I have always have mixed feeling about aircraft and sight seeing. I have
drove to Grand Canyon and took a sight seeing fight there, I have took a
sight seeing flight from Vegas. While I truly understand the noise pollution
from an aircraft. but it's a different sight when you're up in the sky. I
don't think you can see the scale of Grand Canyon without getting in the
air. May be hot air ballon? But they're just as loud.

As far as f**k up the visits of the people on the ground, I don't recall
hearing any aircraft noises, but I am sure it's there. It's a shame that
aircraft noise, desiel fume and trash always ruin visiters that want peace
and quiet in that beautiful setting. Nothing beat watch sunset in Grand
Canyon.

Kenny

om...