Big Island of Hawaii Suggestions

Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:18 AM
Louis Cohen

Default Big Island of Hawaii Suggestions

We have booked a two week vacation on the Big Island - a few days at Volcano
and the rest of the time at Kona. I would welcome your suggestions for:

- places to get local food - saimin, plate lunch, local fish, etc.
- horseback riding (mainly guided trail rides for beginners)
- snorkeling sites and trips
- whale watching trips
- not very strenuous, but scenic hikes
- sailboat rentals (small boats)
- kayak rentals
- other fun stuff

Mahalo

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
alohacyberian

"Louis Cohen" wrote in message
We have booked a two week vacation on the Big Island - a few days at

Volcano
and the rest of the time at Kona. I would welcome your suggestions for:

- places to get local food - saimin, plate lunch, local fish, etc.
- horseback riding (mainly guided trail rides for beginners)
- snorkeling sites and trips
- whale watching trips
- not very strenuous, but scenic hikes
- sailboat rentals (small boats)
- kayak rentals
- other fun stuff

Sounds like you'll have a great time and you'll have no trouble spotting
places to get local food. Since you have plenty of time, you might also want
to plan a day where you leave early in the morning and go visit Hilo on the
other side of the island. You are invited to visit my Big Island of Hawaii
webpage which you will find at:
http://keith.martin.home.att.net/page9B.html - where you'll find no
advertising, no pop-ups, no cookies and nothing for sale - and prior to
leaving you may view complete information, look through live webcameras, take
virtual field trips and listen to radio stations broadcasting live over the
airwaves and through the Internet! Aloha and bon voyage! KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old September 25th, 2003, 08:33 PM
mimi

"alohacyberian" wrote in message
............................ Since you have plenty of time, you might also

want
to plan a day where you leave early in the morning and go visit Hilo on

the
other side of the island.

If you go to Hilo, don't miss the Hamakua drive along the coast north of
Hilo. Also there's a nice-ish
botanical garden just north of Hilo.

Regarding activities, I've heard good things about the Flume(sp?) ride.

Marianne

Old September 25th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article wqHcb.431471$cF.134922@rwcrnsc53, "mimi" wrote:
Regarding activities, I've heard good things about the Flume(sp?) ride.

Me too. It's called Flumin' da Ditch.

http://www.flumindaditch.com/flumin.html

Even if you don't want to go, the history of the irrigation system on the
web site is interesting.

ObDisclaimer: my company sells these tours (as a wholesaler), but I have
no personal interest in the company other than I'd like to do that some
day.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
Old September 26th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Brian

"Louis Cohen" wrote:

We have booked a two week vacation on the Big Island - a few days at Volcano
and the rest of the time at Kona. I would welcome your suggestions for:

- places to get local food - saimin, plate lunch, local fish, etc.
- horseback riding (mainly guided trail rides for beginners)
- snorkeling sites and trips
- whale watching trips
- not very strenuous, but scenic hikes
- sailboat rentals (small boats)
- kayak rentals
- other fun stuff

Mahalo

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

This is an article in the NY Times.

On the Big Island, Hilo Is the Perfect Rainy-Day Place

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/21/travel/21frug.html

Old September 29th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
wrote:
Don't miss "The Place of Refuge"...my favorite spot on the Big Island

Pu`uhonua O Honaunau. Here's the official NPS web site:

http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm.

Also see http://www.nps.gov/kaho/index.htm nearby.

Patty

Old September 29th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article ,
wrote:

Don't miss "The Place of Refuge"...my favorite spot on the Big Island

Pu'uhonua O'Honaunau? (not sure I spelled it right, but that's close)