Flying to Fiji with Air New Zealand

Old March 21st, 2004, 06:16 PM
Cathy

Default Flying to Fiji with Air New Zealand

I'm flying to Fiji with Air New Zealand later this year, and I'm
changing planes at Los Angeles.

I've never changed planes en-route before, and I wondered if someone
could explain the process to me... Will I have to collect my
suitcases, check in again and go through all the security checks
again?

I have one hour and 15 minutes between arriving at LA and departing to
Fiji. I'm worried that this isn't enough time. When visiting Boston
last year, it took over an hour just to get through the securtiy
checks...

Any tips would be greatfully received. Cathy
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:23 PM
Tony Bailey

"Cathy" wrote in message
om...
I'm flying to Fiji with Air New Zealand later this year, and I'm
changing planes at Los Angeles.

I've never changed planes en-route before, and I wondered if someone
could explain the process to me... Will I have to collect my
suitcases, check in again and go through all the security checks
again?

Aren't you using a travel agent?

Luggage can usually be sent to the first place that you will have to pass
through Customs, presumably Nadi, unless you are having a stop in NZ, in
which case it would be Auckland

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old March 21st, 2004, 08:23 PM
Al Bennett

"Cathy" wrote in message
om...
I'm flying to Fiji with Air New Zealand later this year, and I'm
changing planes at Los Angeles.

I've never changed planes en-route before, and I wondered if someone
could explain the process to me... Will I have to collect my
suitcases, check in again and go through all the security checks
again?

I have one hour and 15 minutes between arriving at LA and departing to
Fiji. I'm worried that this isn't enough time. When visiting Boston
last year, it took over an hour just to get through the securtiy
checks...

Cathy, who are you arriving into LAX with?? Some airlines may not
have an interlining agreement with NZ, which means yes, you will
need to collect bags at your arriving airline baggage collection,
schlep them to T2 and do the NZ check-in thang.
Your header line suggests you are possibly in the U.K. which raises
the possibility that you are flying LHR-LAX with NZ themselves.
If this is the case, then you should be fine for time as NZ in LHR will tag
your bags through and give you a boarding pass for the LAX-NAN
flight as well as the one from LHR.
When you arrive at LAX on NZ, you would be in the sterile airside
area. No need to clear customs/immigration - just a matter of
getting off at one gate and staying in the "holding area" at the
new gate.
*Caveat - this is how it was with NZ as of earlier this year. Check
with them direct to see if it's still the same procedure.
*Also make sure your passport/nationality is one that allows a
visa free transit of the USA.

Cheers/Regards.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:41 AM
Widya Santoso

"Al Bennett" writes:

When you arrive at LAX on NZ, you would be in the sterile airside
area. No need to clear customs/immigration - just a matter of
getting off at one gate and staying in the "holding area" at the
new gate.

I thought that with the new homeland security you actually had to collect
your luggage and recheck in with Customs even though you were only in
transit.

Cathy, ask the question in rec.travel.air and confirm there.
--
Widya Santoso +61 2 6288-0405
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:08 AM
Geoff Rait

In , Widya Santoso wrote:
"Al Bennett" writes:

When you arrive at LAX on NZ, you would be in the sterile airside
area. No need to clear customs/immigration - just a matter of
getting off at one gate and staying in the "holding area" at the
new gate.

I thought that with the new homeland security you actually had to collect
your luggage and recheck in with Customs even though you were only in
transit.

Cathy, ask the question in rec.travel.air and confirm there.

Ask your travel agent, if you're using one, too, but I think Widya is
correct.

A week ago I went NZ - LA - Canada on an Air NZ-Air Canada codeshare.
Despite arrival and departure both being from Terminal 2, the homeland
security stuff did indeed entail the whole immigration - collect baggage -
customs - recheck baggage thing (this was with bags that were tagged right
through and being in possession of an onward boarding pass). It took about
1.25 hours before I was back inside the secure area. Depending on the time
of day you arrive, it might go faster or slower (previous trips through LA,
involving terminal changes, have taken me far longer).

If it's a codeshare trip all the way from London, there should be someone to
shepherd you through. However, I'd say anything less than 2 hours is pretty
tight. You might make it, but your baggage might not until the next day.
Take enough basics in your hand luggage to tide you over.

Geoff

--
Actually, I do have spots.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Tony Bailey

"Widya Santoso" wrote in message
I thought that with the new homeland security you actually had to collect
your luggage and recheck in with Customs even though you were only in
transit.

That's probably right for transiting International travellers - so she would
have to go through US Immigration as well - remember the dreaded HNL to and
from YVR!

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
A Mate

Assumption - you are flying London to Fiji with Air NZ all the way!!

On check in at London, ask for boarding passes for both legs of your flight.
You will have to collect your baggage on arrival at LAX and recheck it in,
and have it security checked for LAX to Fiji. This should be able to be done
at a special point before you go through Immigration.
After checking your baggage in you have to go through Immigration. This
entails a 'visa waiver' for UK nationals (and several others including
Australians and NZ citizens).
You then have to go through security again and surrender your visa waiver,
before heading off to the boarding lounge.
When your flight is called - you again go through the hoops - and board your
aircraft.

Security in LAX is often chaotic. Too many passengers being screened by
unintelligent security agents, most of whom seem more concerned with
completing a 'ritual', than with real security.

The whole procedure takes about 2 hours usually; however I suspect Air NZ
will hold your aircraft for Fiji; or have someone to 'walk you through' the
procedure.

Good Luck!

om...

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:09 AM
Al Bennett

"Al Bennett" writes:

When you arrive at LAX on NZ, you would be in the sterile airside
area. No need to clear customs/immigration - just a matter of
getting off at one gate and staying in the "holding area" at the
new gate.

I thought that with the new homeland security you actually had to collect
your luggage and recheck in with Customs even though you were only in
transit.

Correct - it's only NZ1 and NZ2 transit pax that no longer have to
clear immigration/customs/baggage now.
For some reason I thought it was all NZ connecting to NZ pax.
Apologies.
Regards.
Al.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Tony Bailey

"Al Bennett" wrote in message
Correct - it's only NZ1 and NZ2 transit pax that no longer have to
clear immigration/customs/baggage now.

How did NZ pull that trick?

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
Cathy

Thank you all for your comments - I'm travelling on Air New Zealand
the whole way (from London to Los Angeles on NZ1 and then from Los
Angeles to Fiji on NZ55).

It sounds as though it's going to be fun, but I'm sure we won't be the
only ones on the plane doing the same thing!

Thanks again