Barcelona advice?

Old May 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nunamus

Default Barcelona advice?

We'll be in Barcelona later this year for three days precruise,
and know that's not enough time for that interesting city. But
what are the high points for a couple in their late 60s with
diverse interests? Should we get a metro pass, join a tour,
both, neither?

A friend stayed at the Banys Orientals, a mile from the ship,
and enjoyed it. Another couple spent a week in the Expo, atop
the train station, and found that very convenient. But some who
report seem to prefer Las Ramblas. Considering that the dollar
is sagging with regard to the Euro, what would you suggest?

-anon-
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Duncan Craig

"nunamus" wrote in message
We'll be in Barcelona later this year for three days precruise, and know
that's not enough time for that interesting city. But what are the high
points for a couple in their late 60s with diverse interests? Should we
get a metro pass, join a tour, both, neither?

A friend stayed at the Banys Orientals, a mile from the ship, and enjoyed
it. Another couple spent a week in the Expo, atop the train station, and
found that very convenient. But some who report seem to prefer Las
Ramblas. Considering that the dollar is sagging with regard to the Euro,
what would you suggest?

-anon-

Only slightly off-topic: Barcelona is one of Europe's major centres for
pickpockets. Also known for grab & run thefts, and thieves masquerading as
undercover police officers. I love the old city and Las Ramblas, but BE
VERY ALERT:
-and be very suspicious of approaches by strangers, and especially of
"gypsy" groups or women and of men who claim to be plainclothes police.
-hold your digicam or camcorder and your purse, if you must carry any of
these CLOSE TO YOUR BODY.
-use a moneybelt and keep all valuable papers in it.

On our last cruise there, we had a number of passengers who became victims,
and some of them were experienced travellers. This in spite of the warnings
from the ship's staff.
-

Old May 12th, 2007, 05:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ike

Duncan Craig wrote:
"nunamus" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent advice, and I think it applies to almost any major
city. About 30 years ago we started hanging a packet (passport,
money, credit cards) from a ribbon around our necks, inside our
clothing - with a dummy wallet and purse in the usual places.
We've had two losses - of nothing.

On point (that one), "professional" luggage thieves have become
very, very competent. We were only feet away from a staged fight
at a major airport - while people were transfixed by fake blood,
suitcases and laptop bags disappeared. 4-5 thieves were
evidently prepositioned when the screaming fight began, and the
choreography was perfect.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Anka

On May 11, 9:38?am, nunamus wrote:
We'll be in Barcelona later this year for three days precruise,
and know that's not enough time for that interesting city. But
what are the high points for a couple in their late 60s with
diverse interests? Should we get a metro pass, join a tour,
both, neither?

A friend stayed at the Banys Orientals, a mile from the ship,
and enjoyed it. Another couple spent a week in the Expo, atop
the train station, and found that very convenient. But some who
report seem to prefer Las Ramblas. Considering that the dollar
is sagging with regard to the Euro, what would you suggest?

-anon-

If you have three days to spend, I would suggest spending one of them
in Montserrat, just a few miles NW of Barcelona. Halfway up the
4,000+ high foot mountain range is the historic Benedictine monastery
with its gorgeous basilica, cloister, museum, cafes and stores. Bus
excursions are available from Barcelona. I would suggest getting
there early in the day, since this is a popular pilgrimage spot not
only for locals, but for all of Europe. The ascent on the serpentine
road approaching the complex is hair-raising, but the view (the VIEW!)
is well worth the vertigo. Good luck!

~Anka

Old May 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cruise Crazy

Las Ramblas is most convenient. perhaps you would enjoy a tour of all
the Gaudi architectural highligts. A trip out to the Olympic sight is
also interesting. At least those are some of the things I enjoyed while
there. You could also take a city bus tour and return on your own to
spend more time at the spots you ejoyed. A good guide book can help you
decide on your interests.

~~DORIS~~
**________*/*/___/*/___/*/_________
*\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old May 12th, 2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
marc

Last fall we stayed at the Holel Colon which is just accross the square from
the Cathederal. It is in the middle of the gothic quater. Lots of activity
at night you can walk to and very little traffic. It is mailnly a pedestrian
area. We bought the hop on, hop off 3 day pass and used that to get around.
There are two routes and we spent a day doing each route. We used it in the
evenings to get to dinnner if it was out of the Gothic quater but as it
stops running about 9PM we needed to take cabs back. There are plenty of
cabs. We had been to Barcelonia before and we clearly prefered the Colon's
location as it is central to every thing. It was only about a 15 euro cab
ride to the ship.

Old May 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nunamus

Great information, and we think planning is best when aided by
the experience of others.
Thanks - and if you think of more please post as we're keeping a
file on this as we prepare.
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Von Fourche

"Ike" wrote in message
Duncan Craig wrote:
"nunamus" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting idea - put a dummy wallet in your back pocket with
kids play money! I would love to see the faces of the thieves when they
open up the wallet to get their loot! lol

Old May 12th, 2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Yes the trip to montserrat, is wonderful,and the monastery is well worth
it,a great experience.

cruise lover