finding flights not connecting in the US (carrying liquor)

Old September 24th, 2014, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jack Ryan

Default finding flights not connecting in the US (carrying liquor)

If alcohol is bought at the airport and carried on in a sealed bag,
there is a problem connecting to another flight inside the US. The
U.S does not respect the sealed-bag paradigm, so carried alcohol must
be moved to the checked luggage, risking breakage and overweight
baggage fees.

So how can someone search for flights to the U.S. that require no
U.S. connections, but allow any number of non-US connections?

Old September 25th, 2014, 12:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
kjwkjw

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:51:30 -0400 (EDT), Jack Ryan
wrote:

If alcohol is bought at the airport and carried on in a sealed bag,
there is a problem connecting to another flight inside the US. The
U.S does not respect the sealed-bag paradigm, so carried alcohol must
be moved to the checked luggage, risking breakage and overweight
baggage fees.

So how can someone search for flights to the U.S. that require no
U.S. connections, but allow any number of non-US connections?

I can't answer your question directly, but I will say that carrying
liquor between connecting flights depends on the airport.
Specifically, if you will need to go through security. Many airports
use a single security checkpoint, so all (most) connecting flights
will be on the other side of the checkpoint. No problem, just walk to
your connecting gate.
Old September 25th, 2014, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
kjwkjw

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 06:03:12 -0500, kjwkjw wrote:

I can't answer your question directly, but I will say that carrying
liquor between connecting flights depends on the airport.
Specifically, if you will need to go through security. Many airports
use a single security checkpoint, so all (most) connecting flights
will be on the other side of the checkpoint. No problem, just walk to
your connecting gate.

You know, thinking this through a bit more, I'm referring to only
domestic flights. If you're buying alcohol at the duty free store,
you're obviously flying internationally. I haven't done that enough
to remember customs/security/etc.
Old September 25th, 2014, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

So how can someone search for flights to the U.S. that require no
U.S. connections, but allow any number of non-US connections?

My advice is forget it. Most US airports have no international
flights, or only from Canada where the CATSA inspection is just
like the TSA's.

Use a site like ITA software to look for connections, but I'm pretty
sure that if you don't find a direct flight from outside North America
in the first ten seconds, there aren't any. Even if there are, the US
requires extra inspection (the silly shoe rule) and I wouldn't count
on them letting your duty free bags through.

Helpful tip: booze prices in New York are usually lower than at
European duty free stores. The only reason to get something at the
duty-free is if it's not available at all in the U.S., e.g, some
Romanian wine I got in Bucharest, or agricultural rum in the
Caribbean. For the famous brands most duty free carry, just get it
here, cheaper.

Second helpful tip: I've put bottles in my luggage many times, wrapped
in dirty underwear, and never had a problem. I've never seen a US
airport that weighs luggage at recheck, and if you're really worried
about breakage, put them in gallon ziplocks before you stuff them
among the clothes.

Old September 25th, 2014, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In the last episode of ,
kjwkjw said:

You know, thinking this through a bit more, I'm referring to only
domestic flights. If you're buying alcohol at the duty free store,
you're obviously flying internationally. I haven't done that enough
to remember customs/security/etc.

The problem is that when your first flight is international and you buy
alcohol, then later in your journey you have a connection that requires
you to pass through security or customs/immigration, whether it's
domestic or international.

In some places, they'll allow you to pass with liquids sealed by a
previous duty-free store through security even though it's in excess of
the normal liquid allowances, in a nod to the fact that screening for
liquids is stupid and pointless anyway.

The US, however, prefers to make travel as difficult as possible so that
tourists and business travelers alike avoid entering the country or
passing through, that way foreign tourist/traveler dollars don't make
their way into the US economy.

--
I guess we'll be going down together, I mean getting off together,
I mean ... That's Ok, I'll just press the button for the stimulator.
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
nam sak

Why bother? Booze is cheaper in the US than just about anywhere else
on the planet, even allowing for 'duty free' which it rarely ever
actually is and what difference would it make? One or two bucks? I
would rather have the luxury of less hand carry and hassle than save a
couple of bucks. Even if I have a direct flight and you can buy duty
free on arrival I never do because I know I can get it cheaper outside
the airport.

Old September 29th, 2014, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jack Ryan

Use a site like ITA software to look for connections, but I'm pretty
sure that if you don't find a direct flight from outside North
America in the first ten seconds, there aren't any.

Searching for direct flights is easy on ITA:

LHR :: f
LAX

But that's overly restrictive because it cuts out non-US connections,
which allow the sealed carry-on. The only way to do this is with many
searches, iteratively negating every US connection that appears in
results.

E.g.

LHR :: ~PHL,MCO,ORD,TPA,DEN,CLE,DET,CMH,DFW,MDW,EWR,LAS*
LAX

It's sloppy and cumbersome to do that, and worse it's substractive.
That is, it probably eliminates cities without adding more to the
solution space. I would rather see the search engine consider
traversing cities not normally relevant to offset the exclusion.

BTW, carrying liquor is just one use case. Alternatively, someone
might want long layovers in foreign cities, just to experience more
different/interesting places.

Old September 29th, 2014, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jack Ryan

Why bother? Booze is cheaper in the US than just about anywhere else
on the planet,

The US is about the worst place on the planet to find quality beer,
and when you find it it's nowhere near the price of water (unlike
other countries).

Old September 30th, 2014, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

But that's overly restrictive because it cuts out non-US connections,
which allow the sealed carry-on.

Remember that most US airports do not have customs facilities. If you
can't find a flight from London or Amsterdam or Frankfurt to a city,
you can be reasonably sure that there aren't any overseas flights to
it at all.

One possibility is to connect at an airport with US preclearance. I
know that in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, you go directly from an
incoming international flight to US customs. CATSA says they allow
duty free security bags but it's not clear whether they allow them
on US flights:

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/duty-free-purchases

If they don't, you have a problem, because they have an expedited baggage
system where you don't normally collect your bags when you connect, so you
can't easily stick them in your checked luggage.

For other airports with preclearance, I don't think there's provision
for airside transfer from international to US. I know there isn't at
Nassau (Bahamas), but if you do connect there, get some John Waitling's
rum in the airside duty free. It's really good, and it's not available
in the U.S.

Old September 30th, 2014, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

The US is about the worst place on the planet to find quality beer,

That used to be true. Now we have a gazillion microbreweries, many of
which distribute in supermarkets and liquor stores, and a lot of the
beer is quite good.