Parking at Anne Frank house in Amsterdam

Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:29 PM
Boris

Default Parking at Anne Frank house in Amsterdam

I'll be in Amsterdam in November, and renting a car from the airport.
I will be leaving Amsterdam the day I arrive, to begin a driving tour
of Germany and Luxembourg. On the way out of Amsterdam, I would like
to stop at the Anne Frank house.

Will I be able to park anywhere close by?

Am I crazy for trying to navigate the streets?

Is there a mapquest like service that will give me precise driving
instructions?

Thanks,

Boris
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:55 PM
Sjoerd

"Boris" schreef in bericht
om...
I'll be in Amsterdam in November, and renting a car from the airport.
I will be leaving Amsterdam the day I arrive, to begin a driving tour
of Germany and Luxembourg. On the way out of Amsterdam, I would like
to stop at the Anne Frank house.

Will I be able to park anywhere close by?

Yes. Expensive, but normally it is not too difficult to find a spot.

Am I crazy for trying to navigate the streets?

No. But you need a good map and a navigator if you don't know the city.

Is there a mapquest like service that will give me precise driving
instructions?

Have a look at http://www.amsterdam.info/map/

The Anne Frank House is in B4 on the left side near Westerkerk. (the star on
the map to the left of Leliegracht)

Sjoerd

Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:32 AM
John Bermont

Boris,

Driving in Amsterdam is madness. Street parking is virtually impossible.
Take the train to Amsterdam on arrival, do your sightseeing, then return
to the airport to pick up your car. You can leave your luggage in a
locker in the cellar of Schiphol Airport while you are in Amsterdam.

John Bermont
http://www.enjoy-europe.com

Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:43 AM
Sjoerd

"John Bermont" schreef in bericht
ink.net...
Boris,

Driving in Amsterdam is madness.

I do it regularly and am not mad.

Street parking is virtually impossible.

Quite easy (but expensive) actually at most times.

Sjoerd

Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Boris

Thanks for your responses. I'll talk to the crew of passengers about
this (there will be 6 total).

Regards,

Boris
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Brian Wasson

As others have suggested, it's possible, but not the easiest thing to
do. Schipol airport is outside of Amsterdam, so driving into the city
won't exactly be on your way to Germany/Luxembourg. The direct train
from the airport to Centraal Station is convenient and quick; I second
the suggestion to take it into the city, walk/taxi/tram to the Anne
Frank House (it's maybe a 10-15 minute walk, along pretty streets and
across canals, not too bad from the station), and then go back to the
airport to pick up your car.

Are you flying out of Amsterdam, or another airport? I ask because
I've rented cars one-way from AMS to airports in Germany several
times, and the drop fees can be expensive.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:39 PM
Boris

Are you flying out of Amsterdam, or another airport? I ask because
I've rented cars one-way from AMS to airports in Germany several
times, and the drop fees can be expensive.

Thanks Brian,

I'm doing a round trip from Amsterdam.

I didn't know the airport was the "wrong" direction from Germany/Luxembourg.

The train may be a nice option.

Regards,

Boris
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Brian Wasson

Actually, another suggestion would be to rent your car from one of the
car rental agency's downtown locations. AMS has pretty hefty airport
rental/concession fees, and you could save a good amount by renting
off-airport. Take the train into the city, sightsee, then pick up your
car at the off-airport location. Most of the major rental agencies
have locations in the city; give the customer service number a call to
see. If you aren't motivated enough to take a tram to where it is, you
may need to take a taxi (figure maybe $15 to take the taxi).

Old February 4th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Jason

On 4 Feb 2004 07:11:49 -0800, (Brian Wasson) wrote:

(Boris) wrote in message . com...
Are you flying out of Amsterdam, or another airport? I ask because
I've rented cars one-way from AMS to airports in Germany several
times, and the drop fees can be expensive.

I'm doing a round trip from Amsterdam.
I didn't know the airport was the "wrong" direction from Germany/Luxembourg.
The train may be a nice option.

Actually, another suggestion would be to rent your car from one of the
car rental agency's downtown locations. AMS has pretty hefty airport
rental/concession fees, and you could save a good amount by renting
off-airport. Take the train into the city, sightsee, then pick up your
car at the off-airport location. Most of the major rental agencies
have locations in the city; give the customer service number a call to
see. If you aren't motivated enough to take a tram to where it is, you
may need to take a taxi (figure maybe $15 to take the taxi).

I rented with for four days last August with Hertz from "Amsterdam
Overtoom" rather than from Schiphol Airport to reduce my costs. The
drop-off was at Schiphol Airport at no additional cost.

This is a very easy option, as there is no need to take the train into
central Amsterdam. Overtoom (a street) is on the Westen side of
"suburban" Amsterdam, is easily reached from the airport and is near
the A10 ring motorway to make for a quick escape.

Take the train from Schiphol to "Amsterdam Lelylaan" station (7
minutes) and then get a tram a short ride towards Amsterdam City
Centre. Collect the car, turnaround and the A10 motorway is nearby.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old February 5th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Cheche

(Boris) wrote in message . com...
[...]

In add. Take tram# 1. Get out at the Rhijnvis Feithstraat (4th stop). You're now on the 'Overtoom'
(streetname). Walk about 50 meters in the same direction the tram goes and you are at Hertz. (at
your righthand). Adress: Overtoom #333.

Have fun!

Adiós,

Cheche