Same-day standby on European airlines?

Old March 29th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Charles Hawtrey

Default Same-day standby on European airlines?

U.S. carriers generally allow one to fly standby on an earlier flight
than booked (on the same day) if there are open seats, for no
additional charge. The one time I asked about this when traveling on
a flight within Europe the agent politely but firmly said that I could
fly only on the exact flight that I had booked. This was on BA,
flying out of CPH.

Is it general policy within Europe not to allow same-day standbys, or
does it vary from airline to airline or country to country?

Before anyone flames, I'm not arguing one way or the other, just
scoping out the possibilities.

--
"Flight Now Leaving Reality, Please Fasten Your Braincells"
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Thomas

U.S. carriers generally allow one to fly standby on an earlier flight
than booked (on the same day) if there are open seats, for no
additional charge. The one time I asked about this when traveling on
a flight within Europe the agent politely but firmly said that I could
fly only on the exact flight that I had booked. This was on BA,
flying out of CPH.

Is it general policy within Europe not to allow same-day standbys, or
does it vary from airline to airline or country to country?

Before anyone flames, I'm not arguing one way or the other, just
scoping out the possibilities.

Depends on the airline and the mood of the checkin staff.
Twice I have tried this once with TAP who politely told me to buy another
ticket and once with Flybe who had no problem whatsoever.

Old March 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM
nightjar

"Charles Hawtrey" wrote in message
U.S. carriers generally allow one to fly standby on an earlier flight
than booked (on the same day) if there are open seats, for no
additional charge. The one time I asked about this when traveling on
a flight within Europe the agent politely but firmly said that I could
fly only on the exact flight that I had booked. This was on BA,
flying out of CPH.

Is it general policy within Europe not to allow same-day standbys, or
does it vary from airline to airline or country to country?...

Economy fares are usually sold on the basis that they are not transferable.
Full price tickets allow flexibility.

Colin Bignell

Old March 29th, 2005, 08:44 AM
higonnet

nightjar wrote:

"Charles Hawtrey" wrote in message
U.S. carriers generally allow one to fly standby on an earlier flight
than booked (on the same day) if there are open seats, for no
additional charge. The one time I asked about this when traveling on
a flight within Europe the agent politely but firmly said that I could
fly only on the exact flight that I had booked. This was on BA,
flying out of CPH.

Is it general policy within Europe not to allow same-day standbys, or
does it vary from airline to airline or country to country?...

Economy fares are usually sold on the basis that they are not
transferable. Full price tickets allow flexibility.

Indeed. But I too was quite early on a BA flight and they said no.

I don't see any economic benefit whatsoever to not accomodate an early
passenger's request if there are empty seats on the earlier flight. The
seat freed up on the later flight has a better (albeit small) chance of
being sold I would think.

Bernard Higonnet

Old March 29th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Mike

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Economy fares are usually sold on the basis that they are not transferable.

Eh? I think you mis-used both words "economy" and "transferable".

Most international tickets sold here allow you to change flight dates
and times, but on cheaper tickets it can be difficult to rebook at busy
times. More so with frequent-flyer free tickets. I have asked to get on
standby a few times, and was not refused, but it doesn't seem to be
official policy.

There is no guarentee, but try it.
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:39 PM
nightjar

"Mike" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Economy fares are usually sold on the basis that they are not
transferable.

Eh? I think you mis-used both words "economy" and "transferable".

Most international tickets sold here allow you to change flight dates and
times, but on cheaper tickets it can be difficult to rebook at busy times.

That is not the case within Europe, where the cheap tickets (normally
referred to as economy class, or unoffically as cattle class) are for a
specific person on a specific flight, neither of which can be changed
without buying a different ticket.

Colin Bignell

Old March 29th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Tom Peel

Charles Hawtrey wrote:
U.S. carriers generally allow one to fly standby on an earlier flight
than booked (on the same day) if there are open seats, for no
additional charge. The one time I asked about this when traveling on
a flight within Europe the agent politely but firmly said that I could
fly only on the exact flight that I had booked. This was on BA,
flying out of CPH.

Is it general policy within Europe not to allow same-day standbys, or
does it vary from airline to airline or country to country?

Before anyone flames, I'm not arguing one way or the other, just
scoping out the possibilities.

I've done it with Deutsche BA. Turned up at the airport early, and the
previous flight was still checking in. The checkin clerk first said no,
then had a word with the gate manager who ok'd it. I think the later
flight that I was booked on was booked out, so they were quite happy to
get a seat freed up. But, it's not policy.

T.
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Bonzo

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:39:28 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

That is not the case within Europe, where the cheap tickets (normally
referred to as economy class, or unoffically as cattle class) are for a
specific person on a specific flight, neither of which can be changed
without buying a different ticket.

Firstly you need to distinguish between low-cost carriers and
traditional ones. The low-cost ones usually will not amend a booking
other than for a fee and the fare difference - which on the day of
travel may be high.

Traditional ones may allow changes, including an earlier flight,
depending on the fare paid. It's not just whether it's economy or not,
but which fare within economy. Full-fare economy (Y class?) is usually
fully flexible, other fares allow flexibility within that carrier,
others still have zero flexibility. The prices also affect your refund
rights.

So the fact that it would seem to make no difference to the carrier to
let you on an earlier flight is irrelevant. If you buy a 'cheap'
ticket that restricts flexibility as a condition, don't expect them to
allow you to behave as if you had paid more.