getting around in zambia

Old January 17th, 2004, 02:11 PM
cowboyjakke

Default getting around in zambia

Hello everybody,

I'm planning a 4 week visit to botswana and zambia next summer. 2
weeks will be spend on an organised campingtrip through botswana from
livingstone. This leaves me approx. 12 days to explore zambia on my
own. 2 days in livingstone to visit the falls and to do some
rafting,...). I also want to visit South Luangwa NP and do a canoe
trip on the Lower Zambezi. As this will be quite a tight schedule I
will have to rush from oner place to another and maybe I will have to
make a choice between these 2.
To save some time I'm looking to fly from Livingstone to Mfuwe or
Livingstone-Lusaka-Mfuwe. I found the names of some companies in the
bradt travelguide, but I can't find any price indications on the
internet. Is there somebody out there who can give me some more info
(prices) on this or who has some other getting-around on a tight
schedule tips?
Chachacha-backpackers seems to offer pretty good value trips to lower
zambezi and south luangwa. Anyone who has done these trips?

Thanks a lot.

Jan
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Chessie

Hi Jan,
There are more transport options from Livingstone to Lusaka than
Lusaka-Mfuwe. The roads are pretty good between L and L, and there is
a rail line. I haven't taken either, but talked to locals about them,
and this seems to be a viable option. From Lusaka to Mfuwe however is
problematic. The road between Chipata to Mfuwe is horrible and time
consuming. The "buses" are really transport trucks-- you ride on the
back, with the cargo, and put up with both the rough ride, the dust,
and likely long delays in traffic. One Zambia guide said it would
take 3 hours to drive from Chipata to Mfuwe, but I talked to several
travelers who spent 10 to 12 hours on the bus/truck and they planned
to 2 days to do Mfuwe to Lusaka by road, just to allow for mishaps, so
they don't miss their return flights home!

Zambia Air flies Lusaka to Mfuwe several days a week, and Airwaves
flys every day. I think Proflight flys every day as well. Airwaves
rates last year were $160 each way, and They fly a 12 seater, and
are very reliable. I've flown them several times. I expect Proflight
is the same price, but they fly a 6 seater…I've had them for a couple
flights too—also reliable. I can't find much info about Zambia Air
flights or prices, but the "Discover Zambia" guide from 2003 lists an
email address for them: . I only have phone numbers
for Airwaves and Proflight...and during the high season it is
important to have a reservation. When I tried to change my flight back
to Lusaka from Mfuwe, I was told that all the flights were sold out!
(I went to the airport to go standby, and did get a seat.)

Migration Air also arranges flights Livingstone to Mfuwe, but I
believe these will all go through Lusaka. I think this is about $420
one way—so pretty pricey. It would be worth checking Zambia Airways,
to see if they now fly Livingstone to Lusaka. Or check out the rail
to Lusaka, or possibly any express bus services. But I would
recommend flying Lusaka to Mfuwe and back if you can afford the $300
or so round-trip.

Sounds like you have about 10 days to divide between the lower Zambezi
and South Luangwa. If you can afford to fly between these areas, you
could divide the time. The lower Zambezi is great, but if you are in
Zambia, South Luangwa is the must-see (especially since you are
spending time around the Zambezi at Livingstone/Vic Fall). I could
happily spend 2 weeks around South Luangwa (and I've done this
before), but if you can find transportation that allows at least 5
days in Luangwa, then the using the remaining time on the lower
Zambezi might make sense.

BTW, I found another possible walking option for you: Haven't been
there, but another traveler recommended Shenton Safaris, which has 2
camps inside SLNP—they stayed at Mwamba Bush Camp and loved it. I got
the impression that this was moderately priced—more than Flatdogs and
Wildlife Camp, but less than RPS and the other high end camps and
lodges. You might email them at
.

Here are some other places that have bits of info about airtravel in
Zambia:

http://www.star-of-africa.com/pdffiles/soachart.pdf

http://www.zambiatourism.com/travel/...ce/gethere.htm

http://www.zambiatourism.com/travel/...e/getround.htm

Good luck organizing this trip: Zambia is a great holiday!!
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:34 PM
B Vaughan

On 17 Jan 2004 23:52:06 -0800, (Chessie)
wrote:

Hi Jan,
There are more transport options from Livingstone to Lusaka than
Lusaka-Mfuwe. The roads are pretty good between L and L, and there is
a rail line. I haven't taken either, but talked to locals about them,
and this seems to be a viable option.

I've taken express busses between Livingstone and Lusaka. These are
indeed a viable option although some busses are better than others.
The trip took about 6 hours if I remember correctly including one
rest/lunch stop. (This was also the only bathroom stop, although on
one bus the driver stopped to let two women pay a visit to a nearby
field.) The roads are pretty good in a relative sense, which means
that there are some pretty huge potholes. One bus I took seemed a bit
reckless with these potholes, while the other was rather more prudent.

It wasn't easy to get information about the busses, especially in
Livingstone. We went to the departure point and milled around with
lots of other prospective passengers until everything became clear.

From Lusaka to Mfuwe however is
[...]

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.