Help me decide where to live in Europe - France ??

Old January 1st, 2004, 12:13 AM
R J Carpenter

Default Help me decide where to live in Europe - France ??

"A_Newsreader" wrote in message
om...
"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message

Look at the Perpignan-Sete area. I suspect you are not going to find
everything on your list, but the nearer the Spanish border, the cheaper

and
milder.

Hi Bob,

Yes, thanks to Bob Carpenter pointing me to that direction I've taken
a quick sneak and yes Argeles-Plage seems very nice to us (also
judging by the Google Group searches).

I think we'll go to that region next year for our hols and take a good
first look.

What I didn't mention is that just inland from Argeles-Plage is the largest
collection of family campgrounds in Europe. I've not been there in high
season, but the beach is huge, so I doubt that they overwhelm it. South of
the center of the beach lies an area of "British/Dutch style" single family
or semi-detached houses right at the beach. I'll try to scan and post links
to a few pics in the near future.

You might find that being a few km inland suited you better. There are free
photo catalogs of houses/flats for sale in front of all the estate agents.
I'm a sucker for picking up that sort of thing.

As for the locals in A-P, I forget the reason, but there was a parade with a
few floats during one of my visits. One of the floats was pulled by a farm
tractor. This isn't the jet-set Riviera.

I first visited the area about 20 years ago. At that time I liked St
Cyprien Plage quite a bit, but now it is too much monolithic concrete. There
are some lesser places along the coast that were just dusty tracks and a few
chalets being built 20 years ago. Now they are little resorts in their own
right. Roads are much improved. I strongly suggest that you holiday in the
area and drive around quite a bit.

Bob C.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 01:54 AM
John Owens

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

"A_Newsreader" wrote in message
om...
"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message

Look at the Perpignan-Sete area. I suspect you are not going to

find
everything on your list, but the nearer the Spanish border, the

cheaper
and
milder.

If you want to live year round there are nice communities a few miles away
from the beach area as well. With good roads a 20 mile drive is not long
and yet you can be in a more rounded community.

I do agree that the area described is a good one, with cheap flights now as
well !
Good luck and have fun exploring.

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk

Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:13 AM
John Owens

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

"A_Newsreader" wrote in message
om...
"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message

Look at the Perpignan-Sete area. I suspect you are not going to

find
everything on your list, but the nearer the Spanish border, the

cheaper
and
milder.

p.s. It is also a good area as most of it is it is France and Catalonia.
Double interest, even more parties !

See the Catalonian flag flying in Perpignan (the castle !) with no French
flag visible.
Enjoy.

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk

Old January 5th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Geoff McCaughan

Kloksy wrote:

Spain has become the California of Europe.

What, are they broke too?