Puchase Euros here in the USA

Old January 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Larry Finch

Default Puchase Euros here in the USA

HH wrote:

Why buy in New Jersey? Go to the first ATM you see in the European airport,
and withdraw Euros. You'll get the best exchange rate available. On the
other hand, if you need the reassurance of having Euros in your pocket on
landing, then buy a few Euros in New Jersey, say US$100 worth, and pay the
high premium for the purchase. Thereafter, use ATMs in Europe.

I'd done this from time to time. Then one day I arrived at CDG on a Sunday
morning without a Franc in my pocket, went to an ATM, and got the message that
my bank's computers were down for maintenance; try again in 6 hours. Since that
time I take enough with me for a taxi to my lodging. Of course, at the end of a
trip I now get 100 Euros from an ATM in Europe before returning to the US for
use on the next trip.

Larry

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old January 4th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Mark

Do you have an American Express card? We do, and prior to our recent
trip to the UK, we called them up and purchased currency through them;
also they have a new Travel funds card that we got with British Pounds
loaded on it and we used it all over the UK to pay for everything,
thereby eliminating the need to use any ATM's, there were no bank
charges,etc. The funds came directly off the british pound amex card
very easily.

Debbie

How is the least expesive means to purchase Euros from New Jersey?

Old January 5th, 2004, 12:13 AM
PTRAVEL

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Do you have an American Express card? We do, and prior to our recent
trip to the UK, we called them up and purchased currency through them;
also they have a new Travel funds card that we got with British Pounds
loaded on it and we used it all over the UK to pay for everything,
thereby eliminating the need to use any ATM's, there were no bank
charges,etc. The funds came directly off the british pound amex card
very easily.

I used to buy foreign currency from Amex. However, their exchange rates are
_not_ competitive with even the mega-banks.

Debbie