Jury Awards $9.5M in Slip-and-Fall!

Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

Default Jury Awards $9.5M in Slip-and-Fall!

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:55:34 -0800, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

Hi Everyone,

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I saw this news article in the
Miami Herald explaining the plaintiff's attorney reasoning for the
award in this case. I find it most interesting that the jury took
only 42-minutes to render their verdict and that included time to eat
their pizza.
http://bit.ly/8cXZHv

Sympathy for the plaintiff.

I can't see the amount holding up on appeal.

Didn't the plaintiff have any personal responsibility for looking
where he was going?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

wrote:

Hi Everyone,

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I saw this news article in the
Miami Herald explaining the plaintiff's attorney reasoning for the
award in this case. I find it most interesting that the jury took
only 42-minutes to render their verdict and that included time to eat
their pizza.
http://bit.ly/8cXZHv

Sympathy for the plaintiff.

I can't see the amount holding up on appeal.

It seems excessive, but I wasn't on the jury and didn't hear what they
heard.

I do like the way the jury arrived at the amount - it's the same amount
per day as the cruise line was paying its professional witness.

Better would have been the amount they paid their lawyers.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

wrote:

Hi Everyone,

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I saw this news article in the
Miami Herald explaining the plaintiff's attorney reasoning for the
award in this case. I find it most interesting that the jury took
only 42-minutes to render their verdict and that included time to eat
their pizza.
http://bit.ly/8cXZHv

Sympathy for the plaintiff.

I can't see the amount holding up on appeal.

It seems excessive, but I wasn't on the jury and didn't hear what they
heard.

I do like the way the jury arrived at the amount - it's the same amount
per day as the cruise line was paying its professional witness.

Better would have been the amount they paid their lawyers.

Yes we don't know if the cruise line balked on paying his medical
bills etc.
Thumper
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:46:59 -0800, Jack Hamilton wrote:

It seems excessive, but I wasn't on the jury and didn't hear what they
heard.

I do like the way the jury arrived at the amount - it's the same amount
per day as the cruise line was paying its professional witness.

Better would have been the amount they paid their lawyers.

However they aren't paying them every day for decades. That's a
ridiculous standard.

Like I said, didn't the plaintiff have any responsibility? Life has
certain risks. If I didn't look where I was going, I'd probably be
dead now. Somebody could have spilled a glass of water just as easily
to create a wet area.