Jetlag question

Old October 1st, 2003, 03:21 PM
Ronnie H

Default Jetlag question

My experience of jetlag is similar to others' in that flying east is worse
is markedly worse than flying west for jetlag. This applies over distances
of about 10-12 hours' flying; eg UK to Asia is worse than vice versa.
However, what if you are flying about for about 24 hours; eg from New
Zealand to Europe? In that case you whether you fly westwards or eastwards
you are flying roughly for the same number of hours and miles. Have people
found a significant difference in jetlag flying westwards or eastwards on
such a journey? If you were flying from New Zealand to Europe without a
stopover, in other words, would you fly via Asia or the US?

Regards, Ronnie H
--
Social Policy Bonds:
Policy as if outcomes mattered

Old October 1st, 2003, 04:26 PM
ITRADE

"Ronnie H" wrote in message
My experience of jetlag is similar to others' in that flying east is worse
is markedly worse than flying west for jetlag. This applies over distances
of about 10-12 hours' flying; eg UK to Asia is worse than vice versa.
However, what if you are flying about for about 24 hours; eg from New
Zealand to Europe? In that case you whether you fly westwards or eastwards
you are flying roughly for the same number of hours and miles. Have people
found a significant difference in jetlag flying westwards or eastwards on
such a journey? If you were flying from New Zealand to Europe without a
stopover, in other words, would you fly via Asia or the US?

Regards, Ronnie H
--
Social Policy Bonds:
Policy as if outcomes mattered
http://SocialGoals.com

Fly whichever way gets you the most miles.

I do find that flying east is quite painful. Have done a couple DCA-PVG and
DCA-BJS trips, and find that I feel much worse when flying from asia to the
U.S.

Either way, my personal advice is to take whatever airline/routing that gets
you to your destination in the late afternoon/night. That way you can
immediately go to sleep and try to recover some of your time back. I can
say that I feld markedly better after having landed in Shanghai at 6:00
p.m., going to the hotel and immediately going to sleep than when I had
flown to London and having to deal with 10 hours of daylight.

Rich
--
Visit America's Aviation Headquarters:
www.usaviation.com

Old October 3rd, 2003, 10:23 AM

I have done TRD-AKL return several times, and find both directions trying,
to put it mildly. Recently, I always add a stop-over (at least 8 h) in
Singapore or thereabouts to get some shuteye. The main difference is coming
back to TRD (lat 63.5 deg N) in winter or summer. Midwinter is horrible,
and I am sure that is caused by lack of light. So: whenever or wherever you
go, try to get as much sunlight into your eyes as possible; it seems to
reset your body clock pretty quickly

Rolf