Puchase Euros here in the USA

Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
elliot

Default Puchase Euros here in the USA

How is the least expesive means to purchase Euros from New Jersey?

Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:42 PM
Soup Doggy

Take enough for a few days, say $2-300 worth (Visa and Mastercard are widely
accepted). Use your bank card to withdraw cash when you get there. It
doesn't matter much about a few points of exchange for that amount.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 01:12 AM
The Zingo Man

"elliot" wrote in message
How is the least expesive means to purchase Euros from New Jersey?

The least expensive way to buy Euro or any other currency is to run,
at high speed, away from any currency exchange that has a Thomas Cook
sign.

or

At the airport before your flight, stand by the Thomas Cook booth, and
offer to buy Euro at a discount from the poor people in line to pay
Thomas Cook a 15% premium on their exchange. Offer them 5% or 10% and
you both win.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 08:54 AM
Phil Richards

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:23:05 -0500 (EST) elliot
said...

How is the least expesive means to purchase Euros from New Jersey?

General consensus of opinion here is it is best/least expensive to
withdraw cash using your bank card from an ATM on arrival in Europe.

--
Phil Richards
London

Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Phil Richards" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:23:05 -0500 (EST) elliot
said...

How is the least expesive means to purchase Euros from New Jersey?

General consensus of opinion here is it is best/least expensive to
withdraw cash using your bank card from an ATM on arrival in Europe.

But watch out for charges your bank may make.
Also, withdraw your money from a machine outside a high street bank. Not one
in a hotel or convenience store, as these often have big charges.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
gerald

If you are talking real money, Buy from a commercial exchange house.
The rate is under 2%, and may approach 1%. Reusch Int'l comes to mind.
However, if you are trying to buy a couple hundred euro, just go to
Amex or Citibank or AAA, and pay the 10-15% premium. Some banks do
small exchang for 5%.

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:38:04 +0100, Magda
wrote:

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:23:05 -0500 (EST), in rec.travel.europe, (elliot)
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... How is the least expesive means to purchase Euros from New Jersey?

Try working in Europe.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Phil Richards

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:45:20 -0000 Mark Hewitt
said...

But watch out for charges your bank may make.

One of the banks I use makes no charges for cash withdrawals abroad.

Also, withdraw your money from a machine outside a high street bank. Not one
in a hotel or convenience store, as these often have big charges.

In the UK the machine provider has to warn you first of any charges they
make. You can then opt to quit from the transaction or carry on.

--
Phil Richards
London

Old January 4th, 2004, 12:28 AM
HH

Why buy in New Jersey? Go to the first ATM you see in the European airport,
and withdraw Euros. You'll get the best exchange rate available. On the
other hand, if you need the reassurance of having Euros in your pocket on
landing, then buy a few Euros in New Jersey, say US$100 worth, and pay the
high premium for the purchase. Thereafter, use ATMs in Europe.

Harlan
-----
Soft adventure tours at http://softadventure.net/tours.htm

Old January 4th, 2004, 01:58 PM
gerald

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:06:23 -0000, Phil Richards
wrote:

In the UK the machine provider has to warn you first of any charges they
make. You can then opt to quit from the transaction or carry on.

I do not recall seing the charges from my USA bank appearing on the
ATM in London. I could not get euros, either.
Old January 4th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Phil Richards

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:58:48 -0500 gerald said...

In the UK the machine provider has to warn you first of any charges they
make. You can then opt to quit from the transaction or carry on.

I do not recall seing the charges from my USA bank appearing on the
ATM in London. I could not get euros, either.

Your banks charges won't appear on the ATM, they will be applied by your
bank which of course will vary. What I was referring to is that in
addition to charges made by the bank who own the account, the ATM
provider in some cases levy a charge. In the UK generally these are ones
found in smaller shops rather than in banks, railway stations etc.

You won't be able to withdraw euros from an ATM in London. You'll have to
go to either a bank or bureau de change or withdraw them from an ATM in
one of the eurozone countries.

--
Phil Richards
London