Last minute pricing

Old December 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marsha[_2_]

Default Last minute pricing

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
I just got off my 48th cruise and have never asked anyone how much they paid
for their cruise.
1. It's none of my business
2. They probably wouldn't tell me the truth if I did. Those who do discuss
it amongst themselves usually say that they got the best deal anyway.

--Jean

Sooooo, how much did you pay for your cruise ;-)

Marsha

Old December 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Gadget World" wrote in message
Am I the only one who always meets everyone who paid a fraction of the
price for a last minute booking?

I just got off my 48th cruise and have never asked anyone how much they
paid for their cruise.
1. It's none of my business
2. They probably wouldn't tell me the truth if I did. Those who do
discuss it amongst themselves usually say that they got the best deal
anyway.

Welcome home Jean, hope you and the Vikings had a marvoulous cruise!!

I agree with you on this and never discuss what I pay for a cruise with
anyone. On the rare occasion I am asked, I just say I don't remember.lol

sue

Thanks Sue,
It was a mahhvalous cruise and lots of fun! The weather was hot but not as
hot in the Caribbean as it usually is which was just fine with me! We had a
few freezing nights here in Texas while we were gone and most of my big
plants and bushes except the ones that Michael covered, froze. ;-( They
were perennials so they will return in the spring! It was 61 degrees when we
came home last Sunday night...Glad we took jackets as it was 24 degrees the
morning that we left for the cruise...Another Northern is due tonight
bringing the temps down again...so much for global warming!!! ;-)

Jean

Old December 16th, 2009, 01:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Charles wrote:
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

There is also an old saying about pricing.... "In any conversation on a
ship about cruise fares, the person with the lowest fare is always the
person who speaks last." vbg

Often people who tell you about the low fare don't include the taxes.

When people ask me what I paid and brag about a great last minute deal
I don't say anything about what I paid but when they have insisted on
telling me what their deal was it was either the same fare or more than
I paid.

We are lucky to have a great group of TAs that get us very good pricing.

sue

Old December 16th, 2009, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

--
Charles

That's why we always make up a really low number.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Old December 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

There is also an old saying about pricing.... "In any conversation on a
ship about cruise fares, the person with the lowest fare is always the
person who speaks last." vbg

Often people who tell you about the low fare don't include the taxes.

When people ask me what I paid and brag about a great last minute deal
I don't say anything about what I paid but when they have insisted on
telling me what their deal was it was either the same fare or more than
I paid.

--
Charles

That's why we always make up a really low number.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

I like your signature line, Nonny! ;-)

--Jean

Old December 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 12/16/09 1:09 AM, in article
, "Charles"
wrote:

When people ask me what I paid and brag about a great last minute deal
I don't say anything about what I paid but when they have insisted on
telling me what their deal was it was either the same fare or more than
I paid.

This really sounds like bragging about the great deal that you always have.

Old December 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 06:13:14 -0600, George Leppla
wrote:

Princess makes the best use of Past Passenger data bases (IMO) when it
comes to offering good last minute deals. There was one last week for a
7 night Southern Caribbean cruise for $299 inside. Problem is that the
ad came out 5 days before sail date and airfare to SJU was either
non-existent or incredibly expensive. (FWIW - that was the lowest 7
night fare I have seen this year)

There was a rumor on the Norwegian Gen transatlantic that some people
had gotten last minute pricing of $200/pp. That was for travel industry
employees only. I didn't talk to anyone who had actually gotten that
fare.

Is pricing for travel agents ordinarily really good?, or does it just
vary all over?

BTW, people on cruise critic were watching the fares and cabin
availability, and very few cabins could have been available at the rate.

Old December 18th, 2009, 03:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

wrote:

Princess makes the best use of Past Passenger data bases (IMO) when it
comes to offering good last minute deals. There was one last week for a
7 night Southern Caribbean cruise for $299 inside. Problem is that the
ad came out 5 days before sail date and airfare to SJU was either
non-existent or incredibly expensive. (FWIW - that was the lowest 7
night fare I have seen this year)

There was a rumor on the Norwegian Gen transatlantic that some people
had gotten last minute pricing of $200/pp. That was for travel industry
employees only. I didn't talk to anyone who had actually gotten that
fare.

Is pricing for travel agents ordinarily really good?, or does it just
vary all over?

BTW, people on cruise critic were watching the fares and cabin
availability, and very few cabins could have been available at the rate.

Last minute pricing works best if there is no air required. Instead of
paying $699 for the cruise and $229 for air, you pay $299 for the cruise,
and $1000 for the air ticket. And a last minute flight to Europe probably
is a lot more than that. And doubtful you save much with a one way. The
only time we saw much savings with a one way was through Cunard (they
probably bought round trip tickets and split them between passengers on
consecutive sailings).

--Tom

Old December 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

wrote:

Princess makes the best use of Past Passenger data bases (IMO) when it
comes to offering good last minute deals. There was one last week for a
7 night Southern Caribbean cruise for $299 inside. Problem is that the
ad came out 5 days before sail date and airfare to SJU was either
non-existent or incredibly expensive. (FWIW - that was the lowest 7
night fare I have seen this year)

There was a rumor on the Norwegian Gen transatlantic that some people
had gotten last minute pricing of $200/pp. That was for travel industry
employees only. I didn't talk to anyone who had actually gotten that
fare.

Is pricing for travel agents ordinarily really good?, or does it just
vary all over?

No. TA pricing used to be a good deal but now 1) very few sailings are
available 2) they are usually last minute and airfare is prohibitive and
3) the fares are often as high or higher than many promotional fares.
In addition, TA rates exclude things like shareholder benefits, onboard
credits, etc.

There are some good TA offers out there once in a while, but it is
nothing like it used to be years ago.

BUT - if you sell enough of a certain cruise line, that line may offer
select agents freebies or inaugural cruises, that kind of thing.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/